PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Xebs aka Moremisfortune aka Volcano Admin....

red5angel
12-08-2004, 08:57 AM
need your help translating a song I'm learning in Capoeira, or the help of anyone who speak poruguese better then I :D

here are the lyrics as best as I can spell them out, I apologize for the massacre of the langueage:

Luanda e meu boi
Luanda e para
Teresa samba sentada, Dalia Samba de pe
O la no cais da bahia, nao podem mais sem pasar
na roda da capoeira nao tem le le nem la la

norther practitioner
12-08-2004, 10:00 AM
capoeira

That means capoeira... it's a martial art/dance thing that they do in Brazil and stuff.

Shaolinlueb
12-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
That means capoeira... it's a martial art/dance thing that they do in Brazil and stuff. \

:ob:p

are you sure the song doesnt go
bana na way
bana na way batana :o ;)

red5angel
12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
are you sure the song doesnt go

I'm positive although that's the other song I'm learning. The problem with that song is the variations are so drastically different.

Good job NP! Turns out growing up in a jewish neighborhood has finally paid off!

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Kinda hard to get the correct meaning without the accents, but here's a stab...

"Luanda e meu boi" = Luanda is my bull

"Luanda e para" = Luanda e para ("e para" here is used to make the rhyme work, this is very common in Bahian music, unless the accent indicates that it's "to stop")

"Teresa samba sentada, Dalia Samba de pe" = Teresa dances samba sitting down, Dalia dances samba standing up.

"O la no cais da bahia, nao podem mais sem pasar" = In the port of Bahia they can't do it anymore without passing

"na roda da capoeira nao tem le le nem la la" = In the Capoeira circle there's no "le le" and no "la la" (le le and la la here should be refering to "there's no messing around" or "it's serious business").

Hope that helps...

:)

red5angel
12-08-2004, 10:56 AM
awesome! I'm figuring out that sometimes it helps to learn the song if you know what it means and what it's talking about! Thanks!

red5angel
12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
oh yeah, and proof that capoeira is the REAL THING (tm) - "(le le and la la here should be refering to "there's no messing around" or "it's serious business").":D ;)

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
My favorite is "Teresa samba sentada"...

me thinks the line refers to Teresa getting it on while sitting and Dalia can get it on while standing...

;)

Oh how a miss a mulatinha...

:D

red5angel
12-08-2004, 11:11 AM
LOL! The guy who was teaching me the song said there were variations that mentioned teresa lying down to do the samba and such so you're probably right!

red5angel
12-08-2004, 11:15 AM
now if I could only sing well, or speak portuguese at all :D

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Wasn't it Talb Kweli that mentioned "if you can talk you can sing if you can walk you can dance..." in the Reflection Eternal album?

Love that quote.

The best way to learn Potuguese is to go to Brazil and spend a few months down there with friends that don't speak much English. Hang out with them and they'll teach you everything you need to know (and somethings your parents wish you didn't!) LOL

red5angel
12-08-2004, 11:32 AM
that's how I learned about 80% of my spanish, especially the parts my parents didn't want me to learn! :D

The cool thing is my wife picks languages up pretty quick and we're learning portuguese together. It also helps that several of the guys in class know some portuguese or are learning like we are. Eventually, hopefully next winter, we'll make a trip down to Brazil!

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Next winter huh... for Carnaval? Where are you planning to go?

red5angel
12-08-2004, 11:53 AM
when is carnaval? Is that a good time to be down there? I ask because while Mardi Gras is a popular time to go to new orleans, it's not the best time to go see the place.

Not sure yet. We're hoping capuraginga ( my capoeira organization) plans a trip down as a group. They do it about every other year or so. If not we'll just have to see, at the moment all I know about brazil is the chicks are hot and they like samba and capoeira!

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Carnaval is officially the 3 days prior to Ash wedsnesday... however they have plenty of "pre'-carnavalescos" in the weeks preceeding the event.

It's not the best time to go if your wife is coming... ;) or to see the place. LOL

Acouple of facts about Brazil:

1- Brazilians are mammals
2- They flip out and kill people ALL OF THE TIME!

LOL, sorry I couldn't resist! :D

To know more of what to expect on your trip find out where in Brazil you're going.

Women are hot all over the country but in terms of music and culture it's definately a regional thing.

BTW if you go to Rio and someone invites you to a "Baile Funk" don't go unless your friend is packing and he knows the local crew...

red5angel
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
what's a baile funk?

Rio is where the group went last time, I think Mestre Loka is from there or lives there now.
Mostly I want to go down, experience the culture and get into some street rodas.

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Baile Funk usually takes place in the lower income areas of Rion where they play music that's classified as "Funk Carioca" (Rio style Funk). The music for the most part sucks, the lyrics are usually about sex and/or violence and the vibe at these events is high. If you're in with the local crew it's no sweat, chances are you'll have a great time and get laid to boot, but if you're not... watch out things can get ugly and violent (especially if you look like an outsider).

I'm sure if you're going in a group you'll be alright in a roda de rua but if you're by yourself and you see a roda with people performing, watch out, many people get them organized so pickpockets or "trombadinhas" can take your valuables.

Don't want to scare you or anything but just make sure you're with a local at all times when you're on the streets in Rio.

red5angel
12-08-2004, 01:05 PM
well fortunately if we go down as a group we'll be with brazilians who understand the local customs. I've heard some things about street rodas anyway, like you always want to take a few freinds a long and if you can you want to find out who started it so you know if they're just looking to fight or not.

Those kinds of things happen in any culture really, it's just a matter of being smart and well prepared.

red5angel
12-08-2004, 01:07 PM
by the way, do you know if there is a name for these little capoeira songs? I know some of them are written specifically for capoeira but some of them are not.

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 01:29 PM
The term for Capoeira songs should be "cantigas de capoeira".

:)

red5angel
12-08-2004, 01:35 PM
lol! ok so those little songs are known as cantigas de capoeira? I was curious if they had another name since some of them aren't supposed to have been written specifically for capoeira, as far as I know.

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 01:46 PM
well, cantigas just means "short songs" and many don't have a meaning that's directly related to the art of Capoeira but has more to do with the culture around it and therefore is used in the roda.

When you get to Rio (or if there's any Brazilians in your group) ask them to define the terms "sacanagem", "manha" and "malandro" it will give you quite the insight into Brazilian culture and Capoeira as well.

red5angel
12-08-2004, 01:49 PM
malandro sounds familiar, is that related in anyway to malicia?

SaekSan
12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
All malandros have malicia and manha and to be good in Capoeira you should be like a malandro, "tem que levar vantagem em tudo" is a maxim made famouns by a soccer player and is almost a motto for malandros, it means "you gotta take advantage in (or "of") everything".

red5angel
12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
ok, I think I know what you're talking about. I've read through Nestor's "Little Capoeira" book and I think he sort of gets into it there.
Those are things I'm working at but its something I enjoy about capoeira, it encourages dirty fighting and tricking your opponent. Not that other arts don't but that capoeira wears that on it's sleeve. You get a bizarre sort of competitive playfulness attitude form the tribalism it sort of encrouages (from what I understand part of that is derived from the tribes that slowly developed capoeira to the gangs that continued that developement) but at the same time you want to have that malicia

MoreMisfortune
12-08-2004, 09:35 PM
lol
my presence be not necessary

i was busy playing Neverwinter Nights, its a miracle i bought an original game from the store, been pirating for so long i cant even remember. "Malandro" me? Naaah :D
Only bought this time cos it was really cheap and came with the 2 expansions.
I am a Fighter (Human) and have a Rapier 1d6 + 1 that also does Stun 75% DC=14
My AC is 24 if i recall
for henchman i hired a Rogue, its good cos he opens locked doors and chests.

David Jamieson
12-09-2004, 07:09 AM
xebs your an nwn fan? lol

you got the shadows and the hordes exapnsions and the cep yet? :p

what pw's do you play in?

red5angel
12-09-2004, 09:24 AM
can you guys explain to me what malandro and malicia are a little more. I think I understand the basics but I'd like to get an idea from people who live or have been a part of the culture.

I tried neverwinternights for a while but got really bored with it. I don't know what it is but if it isn't a first person shooter or it isn't on my playstation I just get bored playing it.

David Jamieson
12-09-2004, 09:48 AM
don't get me wrong here, Counterstrike is probably the most interesting multiplayer on the web.

But with nwn, you can hack someone to pieces with swords!

as opposed to camping and autosniping or hakking like a puzzy. lol

way too much haks out there for weak ass puzzies in teh CS world

Shaolinlueb
12-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
way too much haks out there for weak ass puzzies in teh CS world

yes its very sad. i remember the days of jsut knife matches. :( and storming people with deagles and not being called a cheater. :(

red5angel
12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I dont' do a whole lot of computer gaming so while I've played counterstrike it's sometimes a little too involved for my enjoyment. Recently, over the last 6 months, I've been addicted to Quake III arena. It's simple and stright forward, especially if you go with the rail freeze servers and it's still a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm trying to pick up a copy of Halo here soon so I can pick up Halo 2 for PC when it comes out.

David Jamieson
12-09-2004, 10:02 AM
counterstrike "too involved"???

you are on a team. It is your mission to either accomplish the mission of the team, or destroy the other team.

Not much involved in that muchacho. lol

weapons in HL2 dm and Quake etc are too powerful. I enjoy the need for accuracy in shooting that is in CS. That makes it even more cool, as opposed to being offed by a BFG in a single shot. lol

red5angel
12-09-2004, 10:07 AM
you have to set up the team and all that. I'm just looking for a quick fix. With Quake I start the game, jump into network game and pick the serve, then I have 5-6 keys tops and my mouse to worry about. I can play it on autopilot.
Besides, while I didn't to counter terrorist work in the corp, we did a lot of similar stuff and a game could never match up to the real thing.

HL2 has been pushed on me as well. I haven't seen it yet but a couple of my buddies keep pushing for me to pick it up.

As for too powerful, I like freeze cause its one hit and rail because it's hard to hit. Rail requires the accuracy but the freeze makes the game go fast.