PDA

View Full Version : Subscription Question

Judge Pen
12-08-2004, 12:07 PM
It seems my subscription always arrives at least a week or two after the same issue is present in newstands in my area (Knoxville Tennessee). Is there a reason for that?

Example: I still haven't received the current issue in the mail.

GeneChing
12-08-2004, 03:02 PM
You know, our parent company has an office in Knoxville, but that's neither here nor there in regards to your question. The way it works is this. We get an advance shipment from our printers which we immediately ship to our subscribers via bulk mail. At approximately the same time, our printers also deliver to our distributors. Now, how the distributors work is a great mystery, but they deliver our magazine to thousands of retail outlet vendors across the US and Canada, plus a handful or international accounts. Then it's up to the vendors as to when they'll put that magazine on their individual newsstand. Again, that's neither here nor there. In your specific situation, the channel of printer to distributor to retail outlet vendor is faster than our earlier bulk mailing to subscribers. Why is that? I don't really know. We should have at least a two-week jump, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. We did upgrade our mailing status to expedite subscription delivery last year. We also set up a longer lead time for our subscriber advance copies to be delivered here, basically delaying our newsstand release. That was two or three years ago. It didn't solve the problem for everyone, just a few, and cost us a pretty penny. Still does, in fact. We're still looking at the problem, but I'm afraid we've exhausted our alternatives at this time. So I thank you for your patience and hope you find some consolation in the fact that it's cheaper to subscribe (http://store.martialartsmart.net/19341.html) .

Judge Pen
12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm a frugal ba stard, so I understand it's cheaper. I was just curious why I see it on the stands faster. I'm not complaining too much Gene. :D

Seriously, thanks for answering.

Shaolinlueb
12-08-2004, 07:13 PM
happens to me too JP. this time the envelope was ripped open like soemone took the issue out and read it. but it wasnt from when i looked at it when i took it out. i was jsut like ...................

GeneChing
12-09-2004, 11:16 AM
They're reading your mail, Shaolinlueb. You are clearly a security risk. :eek:

Shaolinlueb
12-09-2004, 12:15 PM
as long as they looked at page 64 to view my stardom i dont mind ;) :o

Judge Pen
12-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Still no issue. :mad:

GeneChing
12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Perhaps you should call our office - it's a toll free number - 1-800-824-2433. See if they can trace it. Please keep in mind that it's the holiday rush season, so mail is moving slower, and our office is pretty bogged down. But a call might uncover some answers for you.

Judge Pen
12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Perhaps you should call our office - it's a toll free number - 1-800-824-2433. See if they can trace it. Please keep in mind that it's the holiday rush season, so mail is moving slower, and our office is pretty bogged down. But a call might uncover some answers for you.

Thanks Gene. I know it's a busy season. I'll wait until the end of the week before I call.

GeneChing
12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Our sales reps thank you. :)

oasis
12-13-2004, 07:34 PM
there's about a week delay. must be the bayou ;) i'll walk into barnes and nobles, see the new issue, read the articles, and then a week later put my mint unused copy away in a box to sell them as vintage in the future ... :cool:

nah, i'll just look forward to reading it when i get home.

incidentally, gene, is it cheaper to ship in the paper wrap then plastic one?

Shaolinlueb
12-13-2004, 09:08 PM
i ahd 2 issues of the latest one. now i cant find either. :(

Judge Pen
12-14-2004, 08:00 AM
It arrived last night. Thank you Gene.

GeneChing
12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
It's not cheaper to ship in envelopes actually, just more efficient for us. We do our own bulk mailing and 'stuffer" our subscribers with special offers and new item announcements. Since we have a full shipping operation on site, that just works better for us at this time. I'd love to move to cell wrap, but our warehouse guys would hate me for it.

If any of you ever manage to sell a back issue for significantly more than cover price, do tell. :cool:

Shaolin Dude
12-17-2004, 01:18 AM
my magazine came with a torn envelope too

GeneChing
12-17-2004, 10:21 AM
We get tears now and again - such is the nature of postal mail - but I'll keep an eye this just in case it's really on the increase. Ya never in our post 9/11 world. If any more of you are getting torn envelopes, please let me know.