PDA

View Full Version : firewalk meditation and mantis intensive

shang wu
12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
come enjoy a day of exploration and introspection of your art
seminar :Dec 19th at shangwu farms , east of tampa in plant city

Day time training will spontanious to whoever shows up and what ever happens . ending with a sun set fire walk meditation.
this will be my 18 th year doing this and I would love to have anyone out to add there good chi . starting time is noon.

BeiTangLang
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
So this is mantis training or training in general??
If its mantis training, who is the speaker/teacher/whatever??

shang wu
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
OH SORRY, This is ART D , and it will be mantis . you can pm me for directions.

Tainan Mantis
12-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Art D is my first Shifu of Mantis.
He is one of the most inspiring masters regardless the style or subject.

I have noticed that, although his classes were always small, he has inspired a relatively high number of people to pass the art on.
It is becuase of the attitude of his classes and his attitude of forcing the student to understand themself and their art.

In 1989 he inspired me to travel to Asia and continue my studies.

Many times since then I have returned to his school or home for an inspirational recharge and look forward to doing so again.

So when he says that he has been doing this for 18 years he is not referring to MA training.

He trained in several arts and competed and excelled in wrestling before he began mantis training.
His years of wrestling training gave him an understanding of PM that is unusual in the PM community.

When talking to him about PM and applying the techniques I am always astounded by his ability to look at physical movement from such an unusual perspective. He is well grounded in the classics of Chinese philosophy, notably daoism, and often manages to relate movement and applications to those old Chinese classics as well as old military manuals like Sun Zi Bing Fa.

I won't be able to make this trip, but look forward to a chance to train with my first master of Mantis in the near future.

shang wu
12-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Tainan,
I am humbled by you accolades, and as always my friend I look forward to our next meeting. Best wishes to you and yours. By the way when you come I have a guesthouse on the farm and a place for you. You are always a welcome friend

yu shan
12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Master Art D`Agostino was also my first Mantis teacher. I personally believe this man made me what I am today. Sure my current Shifu has blessed me with "his flavor of movement" but to this day, I still try to emulate Arthur. Master Art D also encouraged my teacher John Scolaro to move to Taiwan and learn. Shang wu, please sir give us a little more notice in the future. I have to take airplane rides and with a weeks notice this ticket is out of reach. And if you can plan ahead, I could surely bring students, and others I know. ;) Is shang wu up for private instuction? I wish you much success on your mantis retreat, I wish to be there.

Peace