PDA

View Full Version : Become a Certified Personal Trainer?

Chief Fox
12-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Vash's post has me thinking.

Lately I've been thinking about becoming a certified personal trainer. I'm really concerned about the obesity problem in this country especially in children. I would eventually like to start children's fitness programs in the city that I live and was thinking that becoming a certifed personal trainer would be a good first step.

Are there any trainers out there? What certification would you consider to be most reputable?

Any suggested reading as I begin my quest?

Any thoughts?

rubthebuddha
12-09-2004, 12:05 PM
here's one of the better ones: nsca (http://www.nsca-lift.org/)

Ford Prefect
12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Rub is right. If I were to head out and get one, that'd be the one I get. They still have a lot of old info in their certification course, but it's the most reputable.

Vash
12-09-2004, 12:26 PM
*coughISSAcough* (http://www.fitnesseducation.com/)

I might be a tad biased. There's some good information in the course, but I'm not too fond of the price. To get the NSCA certification, you either have to have a Bachelor's, or at least be a senior.

The NSCA manual has some great, if somewhat dated, information. The ISSA text is about the same level.

IronFist
12-09-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm at work so I have to keep this short, but here's what I learned during my two year part-time personal training work when I was in college (university).

1. 99% of the "trainers" you will meet are dumb. They don't know how to train, they have a very basic understanding of physiology. They still believe in upper abs and lower abs and think that machines and high reps are good for definition.

2. 90% of the clients you get won't want to hear what really works. They want you to reaffirm what they read in "Men's Health" or "Shape" and will quit coming to you (read: paying you) if you tell them otherwise and that doing hundreds of situps won't do anything for their sixpack.

3. In most gyms, if you're not good at sales, you won't make a lot of money. You have to wh0re yourself out (not literally) to get clients. They don't just randomly sign up at get assigned to you. Some gyms do (fortunately, mine did, because I didn't have the time or inclination to stay at the gym 24 hours a day trying to pick up clients).

4. In most gyms, if you're not a big bodybuilder you won't get any clients (unless you're a chick). The general public associates weight lifting with being big, and associates being big with knowing a lot about weight lifting (otherwise how could they get so big?). Therefore, they will go to the big guys who obviously know a lot about weight lifting and don't care about you or how much you've studied.

5. Some clients will insist on only using machines even after you tell them how much they suck. They don't want to use freeweights because they don't want to "get too big." These clients understand the advanced physiological principle that causes your muscles to be able to tell the difference between a machine and a free weight, and understand that if they do one set of bench press they will wake up tomorrow looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger, even if they're a woman. Then, they just want to basically pay you to sit there and count reps for them. This is fun for a while, because you're getting paid, but after the second session or so you start to get annoyed.

6. You can't give out diet advice. As far as I know, this is the law in all 50 states. A personal training certificate does not entitle you to legally give out diet advice, and you can be fired for doing so. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's something you should know.

7. Did I mention most personal trainers you will meet are dumb? "Derrrr, I like da preacher curls cuz dey isolate my lower biceps." "Bro, you shouldn't squat so low. You might hurt your knees."

Look, I have no problem with people not being knowledgable about working out. But if your profession is to teach other people how to do it, you better understand it. There needs to be some nation-wide program for personal trainers so we can weed out these stupid ones.

Ok but seriously, it can be a cool job, especially if you like helping people. I just wanted to alert you to some things before you start. Feel free to post if you have any more questions.

stubbs
12-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm considering getting a personal trainer cert at some point in the distant future.

How much progress do you get to see the clients make? It'd be cool if you could see them make a lot of progress, but I get the feeling most clients will use you for one or two sessions and then stop either due to boredom, lack of motivation, money or they're just lazy.

How involved do you become with the clients? In order for them to make continually progress do you suggest lifestyle changes?

When do most clients want to train? (as in time of day).
________
Vaporgenie reviews (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Chief Fox
12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the replies. Ironfist: thank you very much for the detailed post. I wouldn't bee looking to work at a gym or anything like that. I would really just be doing it to get a certification under my belt so I could do the other things that I want to do.

This summer I planning to start a kids triathlon series in the town were I live and hopefully eventually start some kind of youth fitness programs. I was thinkning that it would help my credibility if I had some kind of personal trainer certification.

What do you think? Does it even matter?

Suntzu
12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
a cert make other people feel better..... but getting the knowledge is on you....... marketing is a BIG part of it...

Suntzu
12-09-2004, 03:13 PM
:eek: i just looked at the nsca pre-test thingy..... :eek: that's gonna take some studying...

Oso
12-09-2004, 06:46 PM
CF: I've had the same thought. My aim is to complement my kung fu teaching. I want to be able to teach my students correctly on basic physical conditioning and if I pick up a couple of daytime soccer moms to supplement the income then that's ok too.

Chief Fox
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Oso
CF: I've had the same thought. My aim is to complement my kung fu teaching. I want to be able to teach my students correctly on basic physical conditioning and if I pick up a couple of daytime soccer moms to supplement the income then that's ok too.

My 7 year old daughter plays soccer and some of those soccer moms are hot! So if you pick up a couple of them you'll be my hero!

Oso
12-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I hear you. I work at a private school for my day job...all upper income soccer milfs.

FooFighter
12-12-2004, 12:58 PM
I have been working for New York Sports Clubs since 1998 and I have over 1000 hours of experience in training people and made a decent living off it. Currently I charge 75 dollars per hour for my services and when I am a CST coach I am projected to earn 12O-150 per hour.

Currently, I will be a CST Coach in April and I will leading a CST movement in NYC. I am an ectomorph and make no excuses for anyof my past failures as a personal trainer like most unsuccessful PTs who came and went from my line of work. If you love what you do, have an out going and friendly personality, have a great positive mentality, open minded in learning and applying marketing, fitness, and sale skills, and have iron willed
confidence in your coaching abilities, then you will a successful Personal Trainer. These are the qualities necessary in making it as a peronal trainer in NYC. This ectomorph did in NYC and you can too. If you want to a good certification please try NASM and of course you should have excellent sales and marketing skills as well.

You have heard many good and negative advice from many folks here. Bottom line, who is making their living from PT? Do you listen to those who failed and complained how it sux or to those who have succeed and know how to work around problems? I am not a body builder or anyone special but I am a talented coach who knows and love his craft. Well enough to make it in a tough market in NYC even after 9/11!!!

I think I am only one on this forum right now that can give you real world advice about this topic and I dont want to sound arrogrant and a know it all. But here is why you should listen to me: 1. I was a full time a NYSC personal trainer (now I am independent PT and soon be CST Coach), 2. I was a Fitness Manager for NYSC, and 3. I have spent tons of money in my own personal training. I have traveled and invested hard earned money in seeking out knowledge from great coaches unlike most folks. If you can show quality and create an unique experience for your clients, then ,trust me, they will come. It is a tough path for certain and it aint easy. But if you do the neccessary work and have the desire to get it done right then you will make it.

Bottom line: Take advice from those who are successful and stay clear of negative people who sucked as PTs. Find a mentor who will take you under his or her wings. Good luck on your goals and if you have any problems, I will help you.

Vash
12-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Wow, good post. Be sure I'm going to be tapping you for all kinds of odd information in the coming months.

Chief Fox
12-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Hey Foo Fighter, Thanks for the detailed post. I appreciate your input. You're right attitude makes all the difference in any endevor. So what certification would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Ka
12-13-2004, 07:00 PM
OT a little but just to show you how much BS in the industry.
Here's a Q&A in my local paper
Answer by a Excerise Physiologist (which is a degree level program meaning university)
Q I have been training in the gym now for a few years and have improved my strength and am happy with my body tone.I just can't seem to get bigger muscles.
A:You need to increase the intensity of the entire session.Start with 250 reps in each workout.To do this choose 4 excerises targeting different body areas and do 6 to 15 reps and 3 to 6 sets. To monitor your intensity calculate your total weight.Add up your reps and multiply them by the average of the weights your've used. That is the wieght used for each excercise totalled then divided by 4.As you build on this total by adding reps, sets and occasionally weight, you'll increse the intensity of your overall workout and bulk up.

If I need to say it
Besides the overcomplicated babble and lack of inquiry, notice no mention of diet.

FooFighter
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Chief Fox,

Please call me Bao. I would recommend that you look into what is the highest standard cert in the top health clubs in your area. For NYC it is NASM or ACSM. A few years ago, it was ACE.

Peace and good luck.

IronFist
12-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Ka
If I need to say it
Besides the overcomplicated babble and lack of inquiry, notice no mention of diet.

Like I said, it's illegal for personal trainers without some sort of diet certification to give out diet advice.

But yeah, most of them don't know what they're talking about anyway.

Ka
12-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Like I said, it's illegal for personal trainers without some sort of diet certification to give out diet advice.
Down this way the training is a bit different,even the bare min to be a certified PT has a nutrition mod,they are covered legally.This PT has a Degree,he's covered to give nutritional advice if he wanted to.

IronFist
12-15-2004, 12:17 AM
^ Good deal. But note that "PT" usually refers to physical therapists and not personal trainers, and the physical therapists can get kind of p.issed if you call trainers that.