PDA

View Full Version : Punching

Reggie1
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
This is a STUPID question, but I've got to ask. How should your fingers be when you are throwing a punch? Let's assume a bare-knuckle punch thrown western boxing style?

Should the fingers be completely curled up (i.e. fingernails touching palm of hand), or should they be straight out (i.e. tips of fingers (fingerprint area) touching palm)?

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Both are correct. I tend to use a very loose fist. It almost looks like I am holding an invisible ping pong ball in my fist.

MasterKiller
12-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Does the relaxed hand strike provide as much impact as a tightly closed fist?

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Does the relaxed hand strike provide as much impact as a tightly closed fist?

No. If I'm going in for the kill, Ill squeeze my fist at the end. But most of my punches are thrown around 60-70 % power.

red5angel
12-10-2004, 12:40 PM
don't forget to tuck your thumb under your fingers. it's like holding a roll of quarters in there ;)

CaptinPickAxe
12-10-2004, 12:52 PM
...Then you take you take your broken thumb, rip it off of your hand, and throw it at your enemy as a diversion to hide the punch to the groin while you do the splits.

red5angel
12-10-2004, 12:53 PM
cappie, do you study capoeira?!:eek: :D

CaptinPickAxe
12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
No....Kenpo/Kempo:D

red5angel
12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
seriously though, when youre really winding up for your next punch, just slip your thumb under your fingers and hit as hard as you can, prefrerably in the fore head cause you'll knock them out everytime! Oh yeah and do the spilts, or a cartwheel if you really want to show off.

MasterKiller
12-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
No. If I'm going in for the kill, Ill squeeze my fist at the end. But most of my punches are thrown around 60-70 % power. Do boxing gloves affect this? What I mean is, the boxing gloves we have in our school are molded to force your hand into a curved position. I don't know if they are standard issue or not, and we spar with MMA gloves, so I never really wear them unless I want the added weight while I'm hitting the bag. But anyway, you can relax your hand in these gloves, but because of the shape, you are still making a closed fist.

Are normal boxing gloves molded like that? And if so, do boxers learn to use a relaxed fist because the gloves maintain the fist formation?

CaptinPickAxe
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
God forbid you forget to bust a pose after you down your opponent. You'll be open to ridicule and be the laughing stock of the MA world.

CaptinPickAxe
12-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I can clench my fists while wearing boxing gloves. The ones I wore had a bar in the middle to help the grip.

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Ya know, it's gonna be real funny if some 12 year old kid reads this and thinks he's getting good advice; then he goes out and hits something and breaks his hand.

Jokes are cool, but not giving fukked up advice like that on purpose. There's enough bad advice given around her with good intentions as it is.

CaptinPickAxe
12-10-2004, 01:05 PM
If he can't sense the sarcasm in my following posts, then he deserves to break his hand...

red5angel
12-10-2004, 01:06 PM
I can clench my fists while wearing boxing gloves. The ones I wore had a bar in the middle to help the grip.

what he said, I too tend to use MMA gloves though if I can.

God forbid you forget to bust a pose after you down your opponent. You'll be open to ridicule and be the laughing stock of the MA world.

also what he said.

PangQuan
12-10-2004, 01:10 PM
If we are talking Chinese Kung Fu style, lots of sifu's will tell you. Make like a tiger claw style hand, then curl the end of your digits to make the finger print touch the first section of your fingers, then curl those little puppies down into fist formation, then, regardless of what you were told, DO NOT PUT YOUR THUMB UNDERNEATH THAT, have the end section of your thumb lay across your forefinger and middle finger. Then BAM !! you start punching stuff. But now if we are talking western boxing style the finger prints touching the bottom of your finger pads is accurate. I personally stick with western boxing style most of the time. Chinese style is more compact but you have to get your fingers used to punching like that, a slow transition is best if you want to punch like this.

SifuAbel
12-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Ya know, it's gonna be real funny if some 12 year old kid reads this and thinks he's getting good advice; then he goes out and hits something and breaks his hand.

Jokes are cool, but not giving fukked up advice like that on purpose. There's enough bad advice given around her with good intentions as it is.

yes kids, remember, DO NOT PUT YOUR THUMB INSIDE YOUR FIST!!!

red5angel
12-10-2004, 01:14 PM
oh sorry for not putting on a parental fukking advisory on my post :rolleyes:

course if you don't like you could always start your own family freindly forum where you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise stop being a sissy ;)

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
Otherwise stop being a sissy ;)

Look who's talking ain't just a movie.

red5angel
12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
If he can't sense the sarcasm in my following posts, then he deserves to break his hand...

what he said.

Besides there's some irony in trying to establish the appropriateness of what should be said in a post that uses "fukked up".....

red5angel
12-10-2004, 01:18 PM
WD, you could always just become a moderator and delete all the posts you odn't think are family appropriate. Otherwise get a sense of humor and relax.

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah, because everyone here knows that H2O has no sense of humor...

red5angel
12-10-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm just sayin' stop being so sensitive.

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm just looking out for the kiddies.

I mean, I know how ridiculous it is to take fighting advice from a Capoeria guy, but think of the kiddies man.

for the record:

Taking fighting advice from Red is like going to Xebby to learn how to pick up Wimmins.

Reggie1
12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Whew! A whole lot of posts and I still don't know how to hit some guy!

J/K, I was just curious about the methods of throwing a punch. Hopefully I won't break a hand.

red5angel
12-10-2004, 01:44 PM
ok, just so I can pacify the MMA guys

curl your fingers naturally, you can get more snap if your fist is loose, but some people feel like you get more power when it's tightly balled, not too tightly. Imagine if you were yankin' it, then ease up a bit and that should be about right. OoopS! sorry kiddies :D
THUMB CURLS AROUND THE TOP KNUCKLE OF THE INDEX FINGER!!!
hit with your knuckles, otherwise you risk breaking your fingers anyway.

and from what I understand Xebs has it falling out of his pockets! Atleast he would if he were a capoeirista :cool:

FatherDog
12-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
ok, just so I can pacify the MMA guys

Yeah, Water Dragon and Sifu Abel are big MMA guys. :rolleyes:

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 02:56 PM
LOL, I've been training with Miguel Torres for about 1 1/2 years now. I do more Muay Thai and BJJ then Shuai Chiao.

Still it's the Shuai Chiao that saves my a$$ in stand up.

red5angel
12-10-2004, 02:59 PM
like shua chiao isn't MMA ;)

Water Dragon
12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Shhhh, I'll get banned for sure if that get's out :mad:

red5angel
12-10-2004, 03:04 PM
no way dude, they let those capoeira guys get on here. Besides, I'm pretty sure this is an MMA forum in disguise. They keep the kungfu guys around so they don't have to change the name.

Samurai Jack
12-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Here's a photo showing the proper way to form a fist. (http://thormay.net/photos/thor/thormouse1999.jpg)

PangQuan
12-10-2004, 04:31 PM
That picture is hilarious, I am hoping that is not you.

CaptinPickAxe
12-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Thats the way we do it in SC.

And they say we don't know what we're doing...HA! I laugh at them and turn my nose to the sky.:D

Samurai Jack
12-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by PangQuan
That picture is hilarious, I am hoping that is not you.

No, I wish. It's a photo of a supposed "Bruce Lee is alive!" sighting.

fa_jing
12-10-2004, 08:49 PM
interesting about the tightly curled fingers, actually. Feels pretty stable.

diego
12-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
No, I wish. It's a photo of a supposed "Bruce Lee is alive!" sighting. shiiiiiiit

with the loose fist isn't that how some tai chi or internal guys punch?....read something