PDA

View Full Version : Posting self-defense applications

old jong
09-14-2001, 04:36 PM
I took a look at the "what do you think about these techniques" tread and I'm not surprised at all about the responses these few "techniques" brought.Any of these "attacks" could have been countered by almost any of the wing chun's repertoire!...So,it is not surprising everybody would have done something different!...
IMHO,Wing chun is not to be fixed in prearranged answers to attacks.It is a reactive art based on feeling and touch so no attack or defense could be the same twice.
I don't want to talk against that sifu because many (including his own sigung) are doing the same in posting self-defense techniques as examples of what wing chun can do.
Wing Chun is something learned from the inside.You find your own answers throught practice,your own ways to deal with various situations.But how could that be putted in images?..

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

mun hung
09-14-2001, 08:22 PM
Absolutely correct! People will always do things their way, which does'nt neccesarily mean that it's wrong. Sometimes it's just a different interpretation of the very same thing.

chi-kwai
09-14-2001, 08:51 PM
but if that were the case, one could argue that Capoeira and Wing Chun are the same art, just interpereted differently. When does an art cease being one thing and start being another? How much "interperetation" can a martial art survive before it has mutated into a different thing?

A parable of sorts about martial arts was once told me to me, partially as a joke, but it holds some truth:

Three friends were sitting around the fire one night during the war, their names were Ching, Chen and Bob. Ching and Chen were inspecting their clubs to make sure they were in good shape. Bob was just sitting there. Ching asked, "Hey Bob, are you going to check your club for cracks?"

Bob replied, "No, I have a new tactic I am going to use in battle tomorrow."

Chen replies, "New tactic, what do you mean?"

Bob explained his idea: "I think that if I make a fist and stick my pinky finger out, concentrate all my chi into that finger, I can pierce my enemies with ease."

Ching and Chen look at each other. Ching says, "You know, maybe you should stick to your club. You know it works well and you are quite good with it."

Bob shrugged and went to sleep.

The next night, Ching and Chen were at the campfire, but Bob was not around. Ching asked, "He used the pinky, didn't he?"

--
chi kwai

rogue
09-14-2001, 10:53 PM
Right, we were talking about kicking counters here a while back, I gave some TKD counters and others here gave the WC counters, and both sets of techniques were identical. The difference seemed to be in the setup and footwork, but still the same techniques.

http://www.drudgereport.com/wt6.jpg

http://store3.yimg.com/I/obflag_1646_241799
Never forget