PDA

View Full Version : For Hendrik

t_niehoff
12-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Hendrik,

You and I (and Jim) probably are in agreement on how many things *need* to be done in order for WCK to be effective. I respect your knowledge, experience, and involvement in WCK. Nevertheless, I don't agree with your deference to tradition or strict interpretation of what is WCK. I think you'll agree that WCK, like any fighting method, is a set of principles, some for body use and some for strategic applications in martial encounters/fighting. Many of these, like the mechanical principles of power generation, are in my view encapsulated and expressed in the WCK tools. In other words, the tools come to us with built-in "power requirements." Take the jik chung choi from YJKYM for one example. How many ways are there to generate excellent power with that punch using that body mechanic (YJKYM)? A person can't just get good solid stationary power (no rotation or stepping) doing "anything at all." What is it that tells us when we are doing it properly, when our mechanics are good? Results. Your punch hits like a sledgehammer. That result tells you. What tells you that you are doing it wrong? Results. Your punch is weak and ineffective.

I agree that a trainee needs someone to teach them WCK -- they need to teach them the jik chung choi in YJKYM. Then, however, it is up to the trainee to find for himself, using results, both good and bad, to guide him, using trial and error, to find the mechanics that give him that power. No one can show you that. They can help you find it -- if they themselves know how -- but they can't give it to you and you can't get it from aping someone else. We're not human copy machines. We find the "feel" of it by practicing the punch (hitting things), by experimenting with how we do it, exploring, etc.; you find the feel of the mechanics for yourself and you know when the feel is right because *your punch* -- done as only you can do it -- hits like a sledgehammer. And, if someone doesn't have a punch like a sledgehammer, how can they expect to guide someone else to developing one? Results are what matter, and this training process is the only way to find those results.

I'm not saying you learn everything from fighting (even though it is an essential part of the training regimen). As I've said before -- ad nauseum -- you learn the form/tool/strategy/whatever, then you drill it until you feel comfortable with it, *then* you put it into fighting practice. With the jik chung choi in YJKYM -- learn it, drill it until you have developed good power, then try putting it into fighting.

The difference in perspective between a fighter and theoretician is that the fighter will focus on the result. He has to. He'll not do something that won't produce good results simply to adhere to some "theory". And, when he teaches, he won't say "do it like this because this is how it must be done" or "do it like this because some ancestor did it that way" or "do it like this to conform to theory"; instead he'll say "do it like this because it is the most effective way of doing it." The focus is on the result. And you'll see the result for yourself. In BJJ, your instructor will teach you how to to a spinning armbar from the guard. You'll drill it. Then you'll put it into rolling. If you aren't doing it correctly, it won't work well. (Just as if you're not doing your jik chung choi correctly it won't work well). Your instructor won't say "you must do it like I'm telling you because you're not using BJJ DNA", he'll tell you "you're not getting good results because you're not doing such-and-such; try that and see if it makes a difference." And, if you hit on a way to make the spinning armbar work that is different than you were taught, your instructor may adopt it -- because they are always looking for effective ways of doing things: results.

Rene is correct that theory and application go hand-in-hand. But if you are not fighting (the application part), then all you have is theory (is that balanced?). The sole objective of theory is to aid us in application (fighting). Our understanding of the theory can only be judged through application. Our mechanics can only be judged through application. It all comes down to application.

yellowpikachu
12-12-2004, 08:31 AM
You and I (and Jim) probably are in agreement on how many things *need* to be done in order for WCK to be effective. -----

since we all are human. certainly there are things we agree and dis-agree due to our own experience.

However, I would not use the word " need" because that is a limited view and forcefull word. in addition, what is an effective WCK? by who's standard? this is a big question which I dont believe anyone can define that efffectiveness and claim that is it.

so, "need to be done in order for WCK to be effective" is a dead trap sentence I will not use. IMHO.

Nevertheless, I don't agree with your deference to tradition or strict interpretation of what is WCK. -------

What if I dont interpret what I have post but it is a direct translation from Chinese Writing to english on what my ancestors of my lineage passed down.

If that is the case.
Then, it doesnt matter if who agree or not. My ancestors in Red Boat practice thier WCK that way. right?

There alway a different between interpretation and discribing what is going on in english.

2, as for deference, there are writing such as how to do Speedy Jing or fajing....etc. which some still investigating in it. dont you think ,until one really know what is going on about it , it is better to investigate and follow what the ancestors teaches and master the classical art, instead of inventing something and call it WCK?

knowing nothing about the classical way and insist on not following or deference the ancestor really doesnt make much sense if one is learning WCK. since WCK was defined by the Ancestors long time ago.

Seriously, I cant speak for other lineages. but for the lineage I am belongs too. I have to follow what was written to call it Yik Kam's WCK. I even go as far as dis-agree with those researcher or the gate holder of other lineages because I know what they describe is not what my ancestors passed down in writing.

since this is a land where free speech, free religion, free press ...are value. I believe the voice of the past need to be heard.

just some thoughts

t_niehoff
12-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi Hendrik,

Hendrik wrote:

You and I (and Jim) probably are in agreement on how many things *need* to be done in order for WCK to be effective. TN

since we all are human. certainly there are things we agree and dis-agree due to our own experience.

**Agreed.

However, I would not use the word " need" because that is a limited view and forcefull word. in addition, what is an effective WCK? by who's standard?

**Effectiveness isn't determined by some theoretical standard but from results -- can you make it work against skilled folks. The sprawl is an effective response to the shoot because it has been proven to work time and time again against skilled wrestlers (that can shoot extremely well). Those results -- and not theory -- demonstrate the effectiveness of it.

this is a big question which I dont believe anyone can define that efffectiveness and claim that is it.

**Effectiveness is a result (the drug proved effective in treating the ailment, that diet is effective in losing weight, etc.).

so, "need to be done in order for WCK to be effective" is a dead trap sentence I will not use. IMHO.

**You don't take a medicine because according to ancient theory it will cure you; you take it because it has proven effective -- whether it came from folk medicine or from a modern lab. Effectiveness -- results -- in is the guiding principle. Wrestlers don't sprawl because it's "tradition"; they sprawl because it works against the shoot. If you could show them something better, they'd start doing that too. As it turns out, the sprawl is a traditional part of wrestling and they retain it because it works.

Nevertheless, I don't agree with your deference to tradition or strict interpretation of what is WCK. TN

What if I dont interpret what I have post but it is a direct translation from Chinese Writing to english on what my ancestors of my lineage passed down.

**Exactly -- you defer to them (tradition).

If that is the case.
Then, it doesnt matter if who agree or not. My ancestors in Red Boat practice thier WCK that way. right?

**Yes, and there is no problem saying that historically or traditionally things have been done like this or that (I will probably agree with you). The problem arises when you say "it's not WCK if you don't keep doing it like that" or "that is the best way to do it." It was done that way in the first place because someone got results from doing it that way -- but that doesn't mean it is the best way or the best way for me. Results tell me that.

There alway a different between interpretation and discribing what is going on in english.

**Anything you do has your personal interpretation to it.

2, as for deference, there are writing such as how to do Speedy Jing or fajing....etc. which some still investigating in it. dont you think ,until one really know what is going on about it , it is better to investigate and follow what the ancestors teaches and master the classical art, instead of inventing something and call it WCK?

**Please reread my post about how the "power requirements" are built into the tools themselves. The punch from YJKYM requires we have a certain mechanics (doesn't jing come from body mechanics?) for it to be effective. If someone "invents" something that isn't effective, who cares? It will go nowhere. If someone "invents" something that is effective, do you ignore it because it isn't how our ancestors did things? In that case, the art will never grow or evolve, never become better. A focus on effectiveness will take care of your concerns.

knowing nothing about the classical way and insist on not following or deference the ancestor really doesnt make much sense if one is learning WCK. since WCK was defined by the Ancestors long time ago.

**WCK was >created< a long time ago, just as boxing, jiujitsu, etc. were created a long time ago. But these things don't get "stuck in time" and remain viable. Our knowledge grows, experience is accumulated, etc. All fighting arts evolve and grow when the practitioners fight because fighters focus on results (effectiveness). A BJJ practitioner won't say "don't pass the guard that way because our ancestors didn't do it that way and they defined BJJ" -- they will pass the guard in any way that proves most effective for them. Someone that doesn't fight, and so cannot focus on effectiveness, can only defer to theory.

Seriously, I cant speak for other lineages. but for the lineage I am belongs too. I have to follow what was written to call it Yik Kam's WCK. I even go as far as dis-agree with those researcher or the gate holder of other lineages because I know what they describe is not what my ancestors passed down in writing.

**Different lineages and different ancestors can do things differently and still be correct and still be WCK -- because any fighting art has to be adaptable to the individual and permit variation in expression. It's fine to say "Yik Kam taught this or that" but its presumtous to say "and that defines WCK." If you think something some other lineages advocates is ineffective -- it won't work well, i.e., will not produce results -- then just say that.

since this is a land where free speech, free religion, free press ...are value. I believe the voice of the past need to be heard.

**I appreciate the "voice from the past." In every martial art, from boxing to fencing to jiujitsu to WCK, the writings and views of our ancestors can aid us in our pursuit of increased performance (results). But their voices don't define how things must be done -- that's being a slave to the art. Dempsey wrote a great book on boxing but many a great boxers haven't done things as he *suggested*. Aldo Nadi was the greatest fencer of the 20th century (some say of all time) but his books while still widely revered are recognized as being limited by his time (there have been advances in fencing). The WCK kuit (writings) should be an aid, not a limitation. You determine if they aid you through application.

planetwc
12-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Terrence,

Good train of thought and discourse.

yellowpikachu
12-12-2004, 02:31 PM
**Anything you do has your personal interpretation to it.

a YJKYM is a YJKYM. A YJKYM doesnt look like a Foward stance.

A Keng Geng punch is a Keng Geng punch a keng Geng punch doesnt perform like a TKD punch right?

So, can a forward stance be called a YJKYM or a TKD punch is called a Keng Geng punch disregard how one's personal interpretation to it.

**I appreciate the "voice from the past." In every martial art, from boxing to fencing to jiujitsu to WCK, the writings and views of our ancestors can aid us in our pursuit of increased performance (results).

1, But their voices don't define how things must be done -- that's being a slave to the art.

Dempsey wrote a great book on boxing but many a great boxers haven't done things as he *suggested*. Aldo Nadi was the greatest fencer of the 20th century (some say of all time) but his books while still widely revered are recognized as being limited by his time (there have been advances in fencing).

2, The WCK kuit (writings) should be an aid, not a limitation.

3, You determine if they aid you through application. -----

1, The ancestors voices sure dont define how things must be done. But, how much ancestors voices one heard and comprehend, instead substitue with one's own voice?

2, the WCK kuit is a kuit similar to a book in the library.
what makes it an aid or limitation is how the person look at it.

It is an aid if one search and understanding what is going on with the ancestors.
it is a limitation if one doesnt even know what is what and commenting about it.
It is an aid if one knows when to apply what.
It is a limitation if one just recite it and have no idea what is what.

3, This is out of question.

ALL CHINESE MARTIAL ART CORE WRITING express the subject with two branches--- the BODY of the ART and the APPLication of the ART. The body describe the system's unique conditioning of body/mind and its application describe how this unique type development can be applied interm of theory and process, any writting which doesnt satisfied these is in complete.

That is just the Chinese Way. Stressing the Application without the Body is not a Chinese Martial art way at least not in the Ancient chinese way. A Classical Chinese Martial art system is not a collective of "stuffs".
May be modern art can have a sole application writting, but that will not be the classical ancient chinese case.

That is the voice of the past. the system has to have BODY and APPLICATION, THEORY and process. Do we really heard and comprehend that voice? or we listen to our own or only what our sifu told us?

That is also the reason why I dis-agree to compare the Sung/Chen and Zheng Jing to the Falling Steps which you brought up. Because that doesnt make sense according to Classical Chinese martial art of Catagorization. the person who make that link doesnt understand Classical Chinese martial art Theory. Thus, the so called Theorician you laber is not what it is for the Clasical Chinese martiatist.

How is one expect this type of comparison to yield result? one can go doing Yoga leg strecth as long as one likes but that is not about kick. sure they both work on legs.

And finally, as for result, I always asking myself, What is a keng geng which was described in lots of old WCK stories? what is the process of issuing it? I have no idea what is a Keng Geng. how can I even discuss about the result of WCK when the core power generation is unknown.
I am indeed doing try and erro as you suggested for past 30 years but what is that Keng Geng which
has a big influence on WCK's total perfomance?

Until I know, all the result and ect is beyond my mind because I dont even know WCK.

Saying the above, again, I do more then just WCK. it is very effective to get the result to just have a well train heavy and agile Kyokushin/ Muay Thai low chain round horse kicks. how many's YJKYM can take the low round horse kick sweep?

But then everything has its pro and con.

so, IMHHO, presenting things as they are is important. Be it WCK or Kyokushin or Muay Thai. May be there are people who is much smarter then me can do trial and error to master all.

But, I am not, I need to learn the theory /process and coach and screw up a few times to know what is going on.

just some thought.
I am flying out soon until next year.

Merry Xmas and have a succesfull New year!