PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried absinthe?

IronFist
12-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Here (http://www.absinthesupply.net/czech.html) is a place you can import it. I've heard the absinthe market is really shady with most of the products called "absinthe" being very low quality and possibly toxic.

So, has anyone tried it?

SimonM
12-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Don't bother.

Contrary to popular conceptions, Absinthe does nothing more than high-proof liquor.

What is true though is that it derives it's unique colorations to the presence of wormwood tincture in it. Wormwood is quite toxic. What's more, the toxins of wormwood will remain in a living system for most of the consumer's life. As more of the toxin is consumed, a greater quantity of it builds up in the body. So while it is unlikely to suffer anything worse than a bad hangover from drinking Absinthe once you could end up suffering permanent health effects if you make a regular habit of it.

But hey, you can act like the cool villain to one of those gothic-action movies from the early '90's (like the Crow).

CaptinPickAxe
12-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Absinth is just a liquor that tastes like licorish. It's not toxic until the Laudnum is added.

IronFist
12-12-2004, 03:52 PM
I thought pure wormwood was poisonous, but the extract used in absinthe was fine.

SimonM
12-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Well you see that's the thing.

Traditionally Absinthe was made by soaking Wormwood in Liquor for an extended period of time. When it is made this way it is VERY NOT safe.

When it is an after-market consumer good it is made using safer techniques but it is no more Absinthe than sour mash rye whisky is Scotch.

Either way you get a rather gross flavored, hangover inducing, over priced, grey market booze.

Laudinum is a mixture of opium and alcohol. As such drinking it is about as safe in general as mixing Codene and Alcohol. Again, something I would not advise people to drink.

IronFist
12-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Hmmm...

What about the "good" Czech brands? They have safe levels of thujone, right? Or are they so safe that they're too low to do any good?

Mr Punch
12-12-2004, 06:14 PM
The absinthe that I had from the Czech Republic before sales were legalized again in the UK (my memory is understandably a bit fuzzy! - but maybe 11 years ago), was definitely not 'just' any old booze.

Believe me, I was well-versed in drinking any old booze, and that was a real twister. After three mugs in about an hour and a half (at 70% that would be a lot for some people, but in those days it was nothing) I was a giggling vaguely-hallucinating mess, capable of moving with assistance, but soon to fall into a full sleep highly-charged with strange dreams (on a bar stool - another classy image!). I woke up after two hours, feeling fine, clear-headed but still quite happy. Oh it also makes your mouth go numb, in a similar way, but not as extreme as kava-kava...

Of course, it could have just been psychosomatic, but it didn't have the same effect on any of my friends, although they only had a mug each (it was my birthday and it really does taste foul - like detergent). This could mean: (a) I am psychosomatically susceptible, but from years of being the antithesis of peer pressure, and relatively scientific experimentation, I don't believe so; (b) I am physically more susceptible than other people... again, I have extensive reasons to believe this is not true; (c) The active chemical constituents acted with other compounds residually stored in my tissue: possible, but some of my friends I drank it with were really heavy substance abusers and experimenters; (d) It does those things!

I have also drunk 'fake' absinthe and can agree (though that was 70 or so % too) it was just a foul-smelling and -tasting liquor. The second time I had the 'real' stuff, I can only descrivbe the effect as being very spaced-out, a little gnarly, and rather *****... kinda similar to whenever I drink (!) but for want of more scientific words it was ... different. That time, however, it was not such a controlled experience as I had been drinking other things and I couldn't specifically attribute the effects it had to the absinthe.

SimonM is correct about the differences in how it is made, tho I believe there is traditionally also a technique which involves distilling the liquor with the wormwood in it, as opposed to soaking it in the pre-made liquor. With some plants this doesn't increase the potency, but it generally varies the compounds extracted. I don't know in the case of wormwood.

Wormwood's main dangerous active constituents are thujone and a chlorogenic phenolic acid. Both of these will stay in your system: thujone is the opiate which will lead to hallucinations and according to some sources derangement, and that phenol will eventually destroy the nerve connections.

Here (http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h312.htm) is quite a nice reference. Notice this site recommends not using it, but it does not go into the action of alcohol on it (not many studies have been made), and as SimonM and myself have said, a lot depends on how it is made.

It was traditionally used as a pesticide in kitchen gardens, and to kill intestinal worms and the like. Also as an appetite stimulant (which is from where we get Vermouth - Wermut - Wormwood). Its close relative Southernwood grows all over the US and was traditionally used ritually by some native American tribes. This is not necessarily a recommendation...!

The booze was blamed for a lot of things in the 19th century, but some studies have suggested this was to take the blame away from the more easily controllable laudnum and other poppy-derived opiates as they were a flourishing part of Victorian trade. It is most likely that both of these opiates were to blame for many of the ills attributed to absinthe, and as far as I know, nobody has studied the action of the compounds on each other. The most notorious cases leading to its banning were Gilles de Rais and Van Gogh.

Incidentally, the rant in Mike Leigh's movie 'Naked' is largely historically accurate: wormwood is another name for Chernobyl (strictly that's actually Mugwort, but in different parts of the world, and even the UK closely related plants often share the same name), and is mentioned extensively in the Bible (although these are different plants they are very closely related, closer than say Tarragon and Estragon which are also the same family), especially Revelations as the name of the meteorite that poisons water and melts tongues and is one of the precursors to Armageddon... my Christian mythology is a little rusty: ask one of the Semites on the board. Although this rant is quite funny, mugwort is also used as a main ingredient in Chinese medicine and (as Wikipedia tells me) for moxa. That rant also really really ****ed me off, cos it's almost exactly along the lines of the stuff that I'd come up with in my research, and had already half-written into a character in a book! Mike ******* Leigh: I'd bloody swing for him! :mad:

Edit, crosspost. Hi Iron, most of the Czech stiuff now is made for the export market, so will not be the traditional stuff anyway. Check with the importer or preferably the manufacturer. But no, generally, if it is traditional it does not have safe levels of thujone (if there is such a thing!)!

Mr Punch
12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
That's the scientific nonsense, but TBH Iron, on gut feeling, I'd say, try it. Sure it's not good for you on cumulative effect but what booze is? If you don't drink it regularly you shouldn't have a problem!:D ;)

SimonM
12-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I looked into Absinthe in my art school days. Thought about trying the drink that fueled so many of the post impressionists. Then I found out that all I could get in Canada was the fake stuff (which is rediculously expensive) or home-made stuff that might just be poison if the wrong ammount of Wormwood was used.

If you have found a supplier of traditionally made Absinthe and want to give it a try it probably won't do any lasting damage if you just try it once. Just don't be upset if nothing too exciting happens. For every testimonial about wierd dreams, etc. there are about 10 of getting drunk, getting hung over, getting an empty wallet. I found that out when I was trying to decide whether or not to try to acquire some myself.

Mr Punch
12-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah, you're about right, but with good stuff, I'd say it's not 'for every one... there's ten...' but that it's more like for every five...

Toby
12-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Iron, just go down the street corner and buy some acid, peyote, mushrooms, whatever. Or go to Queensland, Oz, and lick cane toads.

Hau Tien
12-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Iron, just go down the street corner and buy some acid, peyote, mushrooms, whatever. Or go to Queensland, Oz, and lick cane toads.

Quite frankly, I agree with this :P

Thujones (the "active" substance in wormwood) binds to the same chemical receptors as THC. Unfortunately, this is where the similarity ends. Thujones is a neurotoxin that actually causes tissue necrosis.

I certainly feel that the psychedelics Toby listed are certainly more safe and better on the body than anything with wormwood in it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I don't advocate the use of illegal substances. That being said, people will do what they want, and I feel that telling them the truth about substances is better than simply "Drugs are bad, mkay?" All "drugs" are not equal. Research anything completely before you do it.

Also, I should add that I have tried absinthe. It's horrible tasting and definitely has more effect than the alcohol that is in it. Overall, I don't think it's worth trying, myself.

Merryprankster
12-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Thujone is not structurally related to opiates in any way. Opiate is not a catchall term for drugs of various sorts, but only those with a characteristic chemical backbone.

Just thought I'd clear that up. :)

I do have a bottle of the stuff sitting on my shelf, (smuggled in from an undisclosed country, during my travels) and according to the label, it contains wormwood.

It's really cool to pour, but it tastes like ass, unless you really like licorice. It's interesting as a novelty item. I don't find it has much of an effect on me, but I have extreme "desensivity" to drugs in general - I never get cool side effects...except for antihistamines which put me to sleep instantly.

norther practitioner
12-12-2004, 08:36 PM
We used to drink some sort of absinthe.. "melt" the sugar and the whole nine... It gave me a different "drunk" than say a vodka drunk.. but either way, it wasn't the best tasting thing in the world.

scotty1
12-13-2004, 05:05 AM
We've had a couple of bottles and each time it produced the same sort of atmosphere as a a room full of hyper people on drugs.

Try it. :D

stubbs
12-13-2004, 06:18 AM
I bought a bottle for my 18th birthday. We went to pizza hut for lunch and I wanted to try some so I thought I'd put some in my Coke...my Coke then went from black to bright green so I had to drink it pretty quickly. Good stuff! It's one of the only high strength drinks I like to drink neat.
________
PERCODAN REHAB FORUM (http://www.rehab-forum.com/percodan-rehab/)

Nick Forrer
12-13-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Mat

Incidentally, the rant in Mike Leigh's movie 'Naked' is largely historically accurate: wormwood is another name for Chernobyl (strictly that's actually Mugwort, but in different parts of the world, and even the UK closely related plants often share the same name), and is mentioned extensively in the Bible (although these are different plants they are very closely related, closer than say Tarragon and Estragon which are also the same family), especially Revelations as the name of the meteorite that poisons water and melts tongues and is one of the precursors to Armageddon... my Christian mythology is a little rusty: ask one of the Semites on the board. Although this rant is quite funny, mugwort is also used as a main ingredient in Chinese medicine and (as Wikipedia tells me) for moxa. That rant also really really ****ed me off, cos it's almost exactly along the lines of the stuff that I'd come up with in my research, and had already half-written into a character in a book! Mike ******* Leigh: I'd bloody swing for him! :mad:

Good film...although for British film rants Richard Burton in 'Equus'
is hard to beat.

Mr Punch
12-13-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Thujone is not structurally related to opiates in any way.Correct. If you are worried about chemical accuracy on this here kungfu board that is... :rolleyes: See definition 1 below.
Opiate is not a catchall term for drugs of various sorts, but only those with a characteristic chemical backbone.Correct, again if you're talking to chemists. If, however, you are explaining in laymans' terms on a kungfu board for clarity, please see definitions 2,3 below.

dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=opiate)
o·pi·ate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-t, -t)
n.
1. Any of various sedative narcotics containing opium or one or more of its natural or synthetic derivatives.
2. A drug, hormone, or other chemical substance having sedative or narcotic effects similar to those containing opium or its derivatives: a natural brain opiate. Also called opioid.
3. Something that dulls the senses and induces relaxation or torpor. I studied this as part of my forestry degree...! You'd be surprised at what you learn in forestry!:D
:eek:

IronFist
12-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I don't want to try it if there's long lasting neurotoxins in it. Oh well.

Thanks.

Christopher M
12-13-2004, 12:23 PM
(1) There is a dramatic difference between authentic absinthe and imitations, and you're likely to get the latter if you don't know what you're looking for.

(2) The effects of authentic absinthe are neither the same as those of straight alcohol nor those of wormwood extract. It's not clear what creates the effects.

(3) Authentic absinthe has the bulk of wormwood toxins removed, and is only somewhat worse for you than alcohol.

(4) Absinthe has nothing to do with opiates (which are derived from opium or synthesized to be similar to such a thing) nor laudanum (which is a tincture of opium) -- other than that being involved with either makes you overwhelmingly eccentric and gives you predilections for romantic poetry.

(5) The Jade brands available here (http://www.absintheonline.com/) are the best non-antique absinthes available.

Chang Style Novice
12-13-2004, 03:14 PM
What a wacky coincidence! The music/movie/arts in general nuts forum I go to was going on about Absinthe just last week. It looks like most everything's been covered, so I'll just post a link I found...

http://www.absinth.com/links/loganfils.html

but it looks like Chris' source is better, or at least less expensive.

I'll give it a try one of these days, for sure.

tug
12-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Found this on weirdspot.com -

http://www.laboheme.uk.com/index.html?mid=Weird

herb ox
12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Well, I've tried various forms - the imitation contains no thujones, thus no high... A martial brother brought some back from Spain - it was the real deal, or so it seemed! Definately a giggly pre-hallucinatory high - then I tried some homemade stuff that was SUUUPER STRONG! Woah. Darn there made me sick - in fact, I know of some horror stories because of that very batch! But overall, it was pretty intense for all its bitter prowess.

Just like eating amanitas, whole nutmeg or huffing gasoline - there's easier ways to change your mindset!

peace brothers,

herb ox

SevenStar
12-13-2004, 04:38 PM
If you were a were a highlander fan, you remember that there was an immortal in the first season who swore by the stuff...

as a mortal said when he was offered some - "no thanks, I prefer to keep my sanity!"

Vash
12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
If you were a were a highlander fan, you remember that there was an immortal in the first season who swore by the stuff...

as a mortal said when he was offered some - "no thanks, I prefer to keep my sanity!"

Dayum, methinks Sevenstar is allergic to street cred.

IronFist
12-13-2004, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't want "fake" absinthe if it's nothing more than really strong (140 proof) alcohol that doesn't taste good. I can get that from Bacardi 151.

I don't do drugs and I've never smoked pot, but for some reason absinthe popped into my head the other day so I decided to do some research.

David Jamieson
12-14-2004, 07:53 AM
it is booze.

it was popular because of the laudanum added to it in teh 19th century and earlier.

nowadays, it is no match for grand marnier or drambuie.

But if they put the opium tincture back into it, well, I think it would become popular again.

But then, kids will try anything won't they? :p

red5angel
12-14-2004, 08:13 AM
lol, all sorts of opinions, barely any truth. Wormwood is indeed and ingredient in absynthe and that ingredient is indeed toxic at high levels. If absynthe is made coreectly it's not directly poisonous but much like cigarettes, can kill you in the long run (actually it has been purported to drive you mad). It's been outlawed and is still outlawed in many nations because the ingredients are considered dangerous. Many years ago it was harder to control or regulate what went into the drink, now a days it's probably alot more safe to drink, although sticking to a major manufacturer would probably be a smart idea.

scotty1
12-14-2004, 08:38 AM
That was my understanding too.

It won't kill you if you try it once...

Probably.:D

Chang Style Novice
12-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah. Nothing is completely 100% safe, and if that's what you want, why do you fight for a hobby anyway?

I mean, d@mn, some people get killed dead by peanuts in their food cause of allergies.

And generally speaking, peanuts are very healthy to eat!

David Jamieson
12-14-2004, 09:40 AM
peanuts and harmonicas are the only weapons we have against the invading alien space armada.

SevenStar
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Dayum, methinks Sevenstar is allergic to street cred.

? duncan macloud was a pimp. That doesn't take away street cred at all.

Christopher M
12-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Yeah. Nothing is completely 100% safe, and if that's what you want, why do you fight for a hobby anyway?

Stoner. ...:p

it looks like Chris' source is better, or at least less expensive.

Both!

Originally posted by Kung Lek
it is booze.

it was popular because of the laudanum added to it in teh 19th century and earlier.

At some level, you must be aware that you are talking out of your ass. This raises all sorts of questions which are fascinating, from an academic point of view.

Liokault
12-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Ah Absinth,

Reminds me of christmas in a brothel/illegal drinking den in prague a few years ago. All you could drink was really good beer or really poor absinth, nothing like the tourist absinth. More like the Irish potato potchen but made with a really chem,ical foul taste.

Incidentaly if anyone wonders about how bad absinth was/is for you, the french banned it after they had to drop the minimum height requirement for their armed forces due to the young male population over indulging on it.

I think this was more to do with the use of money to by absinth rather instead of food than absinth directly shrinking people.

Friendless Tool
12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Ive done musrooms 4 times. i highly reccomend them. If your into exploring other modes of reality, finding God etc. then mushrooms are the right thing for you. the mushrooms are good because they teach you things about yourself you never knew. i plan on tripping again sometime after school ends.

Ive also had a bad trip.

sorry if i sound retarded in this post but ive been studying and writing essays all ****ing week for final exams, so im burnt out when it comes to putting my thoughts into words.

ill try to elaborate on tripping if any of you are interested. i would reccomend agaist the absinthe unless you make it yourself.

its also very important that if your going to buy mushrooms you buy them from someone you feel you can trust and who knows what they are doing and what they are talking about. and of course.......RESEARCH.

IronFist
12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Friendless Tool
Ive done musrooms 4 times. i highly reccomend them. If your into exploring other modes of reality, finding God etc. then mushrooms are the right thing for you. the mushrooms are good because they teach you things about yourself you never knew. i plan on tripping again sometime after school ends.

Ive also had a bad trip.

What causes a bad trip?

Toby
12-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Circumstance, inexperience, differently wired brain. But circumstance can make one bad. I haven't had bad ones, but I've been pretty uncomfortable. Nightclubs, parties etc where you feel isolated isn't good. Hallucinogens aren't a social drug IME unless everyone is under the influence. Then it's still not sociable, but at least not so uncomfortable. I had another experience where we went to a bounded, walled multilevel park maybe 5 acres big at night. A friend managed to convince us to separate and role play that there was a serial killer after us and we had to meet up at a certain gate into the park. A little disconcerting to put it mildly. Driving is bad. I once was convinced I was gunna die when a friend took us all driving in his ****box. That was the strongest acid I ever took too. The guy who's house we were at had a really bad trip and never touched the stuff again.

Nature is good. Go for a walk in the woods (make sure you're familiar with it or at least it's a small forest - i.e. don't get lost and die) or go down the beach or something. We used to buy these two dollar cardboard and plastic "glasses" from the bong shop with prismatic lenses and go wandering around bright lights. You look like a dickhead, but it's an amazing experience. Avoid sober/straight people. You can hang out with _really_ drunk people 'cause they won't tell the difference. But even stoned people around trippers can be uncomfortable. Depends on the hallucinogen really - some acid can be quite social but the majority isn't IME. You need to be either alone or in a small group you're super-familiar with or surrounded by people with altered reality. Few drugs alter reality, so it's hard to find a group of people in that circumstance.

Vash
12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
One time, when I was about 3, I grabbed a beer away from my uncle and took a swig. Momma says I sat down on the floor and starting weaving like someone with head trauma.
Ne'er again.

One time, when I was about 12, I took a hit off of a cigarette. Ne'er again.

scotty1
12-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Good advice on tripping from Toby.

A friend managed to convince us to separate and role play that there was a serial killer after us and we had to meet up at a certain gate into the park.

Fu*k me. Not fun.

Toby
12-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by scotty1
Fu*k me. Not fun. It most certainly wasn't :). I was in full ninja mode with bordering paranoia hiding from the imaginary serial killer. The night did get better.

Iron, on reflection the thing that makes it a bad trip is when you're forced to deal with reality. That would usually be in the form of talking to straight people or having to deal with something you couldn't ignore like e.g. a fire or a busted pipe. You need to ensure you have enough time up your sleeve free from any responsibility or interaction with reality. A safe place to retreat to helps if things go bad. Maybe some experienced fellow experimenters to keep a lid on things. Figure 12hrs or so of actual trip time. Some may last longer. I usually found that regardless of substance 8-12hrs ish and you'd be "normal" again. Another day free afterwards to ease back into things and wait for the colours to fade.

I'm not condoning anything here - you always hear horror stories e.g. the guy 2yrs older than me at school who had mushies in Bali and ended up institutionalised. His first and last trip. You also hear of people imagining ants, spiders etc crawling over them. I never had that - lots of visual stuff but nothing scary to me. We moved away from acid because my friends didn't like the loss of control. OTOH I would've preferred acid to other stuff but I stopped taking it because (like I've said) you can't be the only one while everyone else is straight.

I have no regrets as such from my 20's, but I did waste a fair bit of money and probably suffered a fair bit of brain damage. Time will tell. The best thing if you wanted to try absinthe or whatever is to make your own decision and stick to it. Don't let anyone influence you. I didn't, but unfortunately I was often the bad influence :p.

SimonM
12-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Between Art school and a social science degree I have tried a few different mind-altering substances...

Alcohol - fun while you are on it, legal, hangovers suck

Cannabis - Pot, Hash, Oil, etc. is fun while you are on it and there is no hangover the next day but they are illegal. Note: Do NOT do Qigong while on weed unless you want to have to sit somewhere quiet until the blood stops rushing to your head afterwards.

Mushies - Tried em. Can be fun but can really suck. In Canada they are semi-legal (they grow wild so they aren't fully illegal).

Over the counter pharmaceuticals - not worth it, bad for your health and don't give you a fun buzz. Don't bother.

Kung Fu - The adrenalin (and endorphins) released during practice causes euphoria. It's free, easy to obtain, legal. My favorite drug.

Chang Style Novice
12-16-2004, 11:09 PM
A group of my music buds from another board put together this mix, based on the theme psychedelic music (loosely defined as music for, by, or about people on drugs.) We did it by establishing a shared gmail acct., then emailing mp3s to it in a set order. Anyway, it seemed vaguely relevant to the topic. Now that we've finished it, we're doing another, this time on the theme "trios" where the only requirement is that 3 and only 3 (no more no fewer) musicians may perform on any given track. I think we're going to be doing this for a long time. It's a fu(kin' blast collaborating on mix discs with people from all over the world.

total time - 1:46:02

1 Animal Collective, "We Tigers" 2:43
2 Oneida "Caesar's Column" 4:39
3 Latyrx (Lateef the Truthspeaker and Lyrics Born), "Latyrx" 5:48
4 Scorn, "White Irises Blind" 6:07
5 Sun City Girls, "Chameleon 2000" 10:02
6 Maserati "Closer Than You Know How" 6:16
7 the Deviants "I'm Coming Home" 5:59
8 Flipper "If I Can't Be Drunk" 9:01
9 the Shoulders "Odyssey" 4:47
10 Larry Young "Saudia" 4:31
11 Lush "Tiny Smiles" 4:26
12 Jefferson Airplane "Fat Angel" 9:05
13 Joy Zipper "Dosed and Became Invisible" 4:16
14 Lee 'Scratch' Perry and Mad Professor "Dub Those Crazy Baldheads" 6:41
15 DJ Vadim and Motion Man "Till Sun's In Your Eye" 4:39
16 The Flaming Lips "Strychnine/Peace, Love and Understanding" 3:59
17 Loud Creme "Motorcycles in the Sky" 8:49
18 IsIDORE "Ghosting" 4:15

Hau Tien
12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by SimonM

Cannabis - Pot, Hash, Oil, etc. is fun while you are on it and there is no hangover the next day but they are illegal. Note: Do NOT do Qigong while on weed unless you want to have to sit somewhere quiet until the blood stops rushing to your head afterwards.

I do QiGong after smoking all the time and don't have the same results. Cannabis has such a range of effects of different people. For the most part it has a good chance of making you listless, though.

I experience the almost exact opposite, becoming more level and focused, but I've only known a few other people who get the same results.

Mushies - Tried em. Can be fun but can really suck. In Canada they are semi-legal (they grow wild so they aren't fully illegal).

Psilocybin is a Schedule III substance in the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in Canada. This makes psilocybin containing mushrooms illegal, regardless of state (dried/wet, etc) and came into effect in 1997. Curiously, this also makes the possession of mycellium (the non-fruiting part of mushrooms that the mushrooms grow from) illegal, as it contains psilocybin as well.

Prior to 1997, mushrooms were "semi-legal" in fresh form, as they grew naturally in many parts of Canada (Not most of Alberta, though). The only way police would give you trouble then was if you had dried ones, as this showed preparation for human consumption, which was illegal.

Just don't want people to think something is "semi-legal" when in fact it is 100% illegal.

Another interesting thing to note is that peyote is 100% legal in Canada. Mescaline (the main "active" in peyote) is illegal, but peyote itself is specifically exempted in the CDSA. Unfortunately, it doesn't grow naturally here and I've been unable to find any :(