PDA

View Full Version : Forum Members From NYC

sumyoungdummy
09-15-2001, 07:40 PM
I'm interested in finding out how many forum members that log on, are from NYC? Who are you and who do you study from? :eek: :eek: :eek:

mun hung
09-15-2001, 10:14 PM
Since you're the newbie around here...why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself first - like who you are and who you study with. ;)

You can find out anything about me or my instructor in my profile. Or better yet, visit us! We're in Flushing, Queens :)

I'm always happy to make some new friends. :)

sumyoungdummy
09-28-2001, 10:02 PM
good question. I am on vacation right now but when I get back I would answer this ? I'm surprise to find out that there are only two nyc wing chun practitioners in this forum. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sihing73
09-29-2001, 02:36 AM
Hello,

Well, I am from Philly but I train in NY does that count. :D

Peace,

Dave

mun hung
09-29-2001, 03:41 PM
There are definitely more NYC practitioners on this forum than two. I think they're just lurking. :)

You still did'nt answer my question to you.

Super-Fist
09-29-2001, 04:14 PM
Well...I'm with mun hung. Come and visit our school anytime. You're always welcome. We're located in Flushing, Queens, NYC.

sumyoungdummy
09-29-2001, 07:12 PM
My first wing chun training was with Sifu Steven Eng who I consider to be a good person. I trained with him for about a month or 2. I then visited Sifu Jose Grados and was shocked at what I saw. Real Kung fu in action. I then joined his school. I train in his open class, I trained with seniors and privately with him. With sifu Jose Grados I learned how to apply wing chun basic techniques extremely well in my opinion. During this time I was practising wing chun daily as much as I could. 7 days a week and many hours. I then started sparring against other wingchun practitioners, streetfighters,and other martial art practitioners to test what I was learning. I was satistied. I trained with Sifu Jose for about over a year. During this time I also trained at Sifu CK Chow. I felt that I was sharing more then learning so I stoped after about 3 months. I met many good freinds there and those that sparred with me or touched hands with me know who I am. During my training at Jose Grados I met many other wing chun practioners from other lineages some very friendly and some @$$#0(*&.
I then got sidetracked by other stuff and stopped training for over 2 years. I was young and had many struggles. In 1999 I started my training again with Sifu Tony Allens who I consider to be one of the greatest wing chun practitioners in this era. I chose to train with him because I have seen him in action on numerous occasions. Unlike other practitioners you really see wing chun techniques when he spars or fight. His skills are unique. Too much to mention here.

Anyway, I have changed alot since I started training in wing chun and my purpose in training now is to learn the system as an art form. I am a warrior and I can fight so that no longer is my interest! I have nothing to prove. I just want to practice and enjoy the art. I want to learn more and learn about the differences in other lineages. I come with an open mind. I am now more interested in sharing and understanding what makes wing chun wing chun. :eek: :eek: :eek:

mun hung
09-29-2001, 09:26 PM
What do you mean learn the system as an art form?

sumyoungdummy
09-30-2001, 04:13 AM
For example when you learn a form of art as in calligraphy you need to learn about it's history, it's applications, it's tools and etc. I don't practice wing chun just to throw a punch or kick or to look like a kickboxer when I'm sparring. I'm constantly disecting it and trying to understand what I'm doing and it's purpose. When I'm sparring or defending myself I want to look like I'm using Wing Chun techniques not kickboxing. To me an art form means something that you highly appreciate. I appreciate everything about wing chun. It's simplicity, effectiveness and beauty. Many people say wing chun is ugly but to me I think otherwise. There are many reasons why I call it an Art Form. It gives me an opportunity to express my self in my own way. Wing Chun gives you the opportunity to use it's techniques in various ways. People practice wing chun for various reasons. Most for combat, some for recreation, exercise, self defense, self esteem and etc. I even read a story once on how a professional football team was using Wing Chun theories on the playing field. :eek: :eek: :eek:

marcus_pasram
09-30-2001, 05:03 AM
SYD,

Wing Chun is an Art Form that should be highly appreciated.

You've written something that many of us take for granted. I can almost hear my SiFu's voice when I read that. Thank you ;-)

I hope we can meet up sometime. If you're ever going to be in Flushing - let me know.

Cheers,
Marcus

In America you can go on the air and kid the politicians, and the politicians can go on the air and kid the people.

TatewakiKuno
09-30-2001, 07:56 PM
I'm from Jersey City, so I'm right across the river from most of you. Can anyone suggest some good WC schools in the area of manhatten or this part of joisey :)

Universal Stance
09-30-2001, 08:23 PM
I'm from and train in NYC. I haven't practiced in 4 years with William Cheung's lineage of WC under Sifu Whitmore. I may or may not go back.

"Any style that can protect you is valuable; keep the 'who's style is better' debate to yourself" - Me