PDA

View Full Version : No Words can express

Sihing73
09-15-2001, 07:46 PM
Hello All,

With the recent events of the past week I know that many of our lives were deeply touched. No doubt many of us will never be the same again.

To those who lost loved ones and friends I extend to you my deepest sympathy. No words can ever make up for the loss which one feels after a tragedy such as this.

I would like to pose an idea to anyone living in the Tri-State area. I would like to know how many people would be willing to come together as a family and do something to help those affected by this terrible event. It could be something as simple as a gathering at the site of the WTC as a show of unity. Or, perhaps, we could hold a series of seminars or an event from which the proceeds would be donated to help the friends and families of those affected. I have not discussed this with anyone else yet but I intend to talk it over with both my Sifu and others in the NY area.

Now is not the time to argue with one another over petty differences. Now is the time to come together and offer our support to those in need. Each and every one of us on this board is part of a larger community, the Kung Fu or Martial Arts community. I think it would be appropriate for us to step forward as one body and make known our resolve to help those who were impacted by these events.

I ask each and everyone of you to do what you can to offer assistance to those in NYC and Wa. It does not have to be money. You can donate clothing, food and of course blood. It may be as simple as visiting someone in the hsopital, sending a card to let them know you care. I urge each and everyone to do what you can, to your ability and circumstance to make known your compasssion and support.

Should you wish to come together as a sign of unity or should the idea of giving an event to benefit this cause appeal to you, then please discuss it with your Sifu and perhaps we can make it happen.

One last thing; Take the time to treasure your loved ones now. If you have children spend a little extra time with them. Tell your wife, parents, and other loved ones that you care for them and love them.

We must never forget the tragedy which has befallen us, but we must not succumb to despair. Take heart and live your life to its fullest while remembering the sacrifice of those who have already passed on.

Forgive me if I rant a little. I wish each and every one of you the best.

Peace,

Dave

old jong
09-15-2001, 10:49 PM
You know,we all felt the blow even here in Montreal.I think it was felt all around the world in every peace and freedoom loving nations.You are right when you say "no words can express"...

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Roy D. Anthony
09-15-2001, 11:50 PM
If there is anything I can do to help Dave, please let me know. I would be more than honoroed to lend a helping hand. Please E-mail me with details. May I commend you for a great Idea. Cheers.

Sincerely
Roy D. Anthony
roy_d_anthony@hotmail.com

Sihing73
09-16-2001, 04:32 AM
Hello,

Thank you for responding. I have sent out an e-mail to various members in the martial arts community asking for their support in doing something to help those affected by this tragedy. I will keep everyone posted as to what, if anything is decided. Tomorrow I will be in contact with various banks to see about what would be involved in setting up a fund to aide the victims and their families.

Again, this is a time for us to put aside any petty differences and band together to offer assistance to those in need.

Peace,

Dave

Roy D. Anthony
09-16-2001, 05:03 AM
I will run a collection at my school, once I have collected then I will need an address where I can send. Please keep me informed.

Thanks again
Roy D. Anthony

Sihing73
09-16-2001, 03:15 PM
Hello,

While it is still my intention to try and move forward with some sort of benefit event to aid those affected by last weeks tragedy, I feel it would be inappropriate to start yet another fund for the victims and their families. I feel that there are already credible agencies in place which can receive donations and contributions to aid those most affected. Rather than start another fund I would suggest that we all take advantage of the agencies already in place. I am listing below contact information and in some cases links to which contributions can me made. I urge each of us to do what we can. If you feel led to give then please do so from the heart, no one expects you to put yourself in a bad or precarious situation, if you are unable to donate then please submit your prayers for all invovled.

Thank You.

Peace,

Dave

http://store.yahoo.com/salvationarmy/ A link to making donations for the Salvation Army.

Pentagon Relief Effort
Monetary contributions to support The Salvation Army's efforts at the Pentagon may be sent to:

The Salvation Army National Capital and Virginia Division
P.O. Box 18658
Washington, D.C. 20036

If you are experiencing difficulty donating through 1-800-SAL-ARMY (800-725-2769) please call the following numbers for credit card or monetary donations only:

For New York: (212) 337-7320

For Washington DC: 1-866-399-2684 (toll-free)

http://www.redcross.org/ The American Red Cros

http://www.eap-association.org/index.html Employee Assistance Program Provides counseling services.

mun hung
09-16-2001, 06:53 PM
If you plan your gathering by the WTC, I'd be happy to come. Just e-mail me. :)

Jeff Brown
09-16-2001, 07:19 PM
I think it is a fine idea to start collections at Wing Chun clubs. These people need our support and our friendship -- I am willing to donate clothing, cash, whatever it takes.

Sihing73
09-16-2001, 07:49 PM
Hello,

Well, each one of us can start a collection at our own school or club and then pass on whatever is contributed to the agency of our choice. May be a better way of doing it then tryingt o set up various individual accounts and such.

As to a gathering at the site of the WTC it is still far too early to do something like that. I don't think the site is open to the public and most likely will remain closed for some time.

I was thinking of suggesting gathering at an alternative location, or waiting till the site is open once again. I was thinking of holding some sort of candelight vigil just as a symbol of our sense of loss and unity. Prior to making any suggestions as to date and such I want to await responses from several of the Sifu I have e-mailed. I think it would be really great if several schools could come together and do something as a group. However, you must remember I am about 100 miles away so I may not be the best choice to try and organize something like this. If any of our members in NY would like to step up and take charge I am more than willing to offer my support. If no one is able to do so then I will forge ahead as best I can.

Either way, this is not about personal acheivement or being able to say I did this or that. This is a chance for all of us to come together and begin the process of healing. An opportunity to unite and forge ahead to strengthen our resolve to never forget the tragedy and to show those who conspired to do this terrible deed that they have accomplished nothing other than to bring us together in a common cause.

Peace,

Dave

Roy D. Anthony
09-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Thank you from Center Line Martial Arts Systems. We appreciate the efforts you have been and will be making. We commend you for your efforts. This is a touching moment for us all here in Toronto, and we all seek methods to help in showing thru our actions how we care for the Americans at this time of great need.
Thank you for being a gentleman thru your efforts Dave.

Respectfully, Hand and Fist I bow to you,

Roy D. Anthony

Roy D. Anthony
09-19-2001, 08:54 PM
I just found out and I think that all the Forum members should know, that Martial Arts Mart has a USA Fund. They are selling items with American flags on them and the proceeds go to the relief fun.

Sihing73
09-19-2001, 09:56 PM
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the update. While many of our schools are doing things individually it is still encouraging that we are working toward the same goal. I, along with many, if not all, of the members here would like to continue to encourage each and every one of us to do what we can to aid those lost and those responding to this tragedy as well as the families and loved ones affected.

Remember, even if you can not donate money there are other ways you can help. Offering a prayer or giving food and clothing are but a few examples.

I would like to again thank Sifu Roy for bringing this most recent method to our attention. Consider the simple fact that if you are going to buy something anyhow, it is an even better buy if a portion of the proceeds go to help the victims and families.

Peace,

Dave

vertical fist
09-30-2001, 03:25 AM
<bump>

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."