PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis

Ralphie
12-13-2004, 10:07 PM
I have tendonitis in my wrist. I've been to the doctor and tried to rehab, but am to the point where I'm going to get a cortizon shot. Anyone have any experience with this, and what were the results? Any side effects? Thanks in advance

Reggie1
12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I've had tendonitis in my wrist, but never a cortisone shot. It's weird though, I never did any rehab for my tendonitis. I just rested it for 2 months as much as possible and it went away. And by resting it I mean doing NOTHING with it. No workouts, no writing, no video games, no *ahem* ;) . After that, it was fine.

MasterKiller
12-15-2004, 07:52 AM
I switched from a mouse to a trackball and my wrist tendonitis went away.

Ralphie
12-15-2004, 08:38 AM
It's actually not from mouse/keyboard, as it's on the side of my wrist (the tendon that runs along the thumb-side). I'll try that, though, just in case. I think it's more to do with lifting and grappling.
Thanks,
Steve

p.s. good luck to the gooners in the Championship! Can't let the PAC-10 p-ussies win.

MasterKiller
12-15-2004, 10:33 AM
That's what I had. Tendon moving up the inside of my right arm. Whenever I moved my thumb, it hurt at the wrist. Otherwise known as Carpal-Tunnel syndrome. The mouse seemed to be the problem.

USC stands for: Unless the Sooners Choke, cuz that's the only way they'll win. :D

Chief Fox
12-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Have you heard of the Dyna-Flex Pro Gyroscopic exerciser? It's a little hand held gyroscopic ball. I have one and it's pretty cool. Works all the muscles in your hand, wrist and forearm. I got it for grip strength but it's supposed to be good for carpal tunnel.

Check it out: AMAZON (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002OQK2Q/104-0954826-1973503?v=glance)

The shot will take away all of your pain. It's supposed to get you over the hump so you can start to strengthen it agian.

Ralphie
12-17-2004, 03:28 PM
so, I got the shot, and it has helped a great deal. Hopefully rehab will fix it right up. Also, had the company order the roller ball. Thanks for the feedback.
-Steve

FooFighter
12-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Raph:

I think you should listen to your doctor and find yourself a good physical therapist that has experience with sport related injuries. At this stage, you should consider the long term performance goals and take step at a time. It is a good idea to discover yourself by rehabing your injury and try your best to heal yourself with good knowledge and common sense.

As for joint related pains and joint health prevention, I daily perform joint strength and mobility exercises such as the Warrior Wellness program created by Coach Scott Sonnon www.rmax.tv which I highly recommend; it is truly an awesome and unique program for martial artists, I take "Premium Lubri-Joint" supplement www.naturessecret.com, and when needed use R.I.C.E treatment. I also recommend "SuperBlue" www.bluestuff.com the best and fast acting muscle/joint liniment that I have ever tried in my whole life.

Currently I have a shoulder injury that happened last Sat. I was grappling and fell incorrectly when my partner tried to arm bar me. I heard something pop in my right shoulder and it turned out that I had a minor sprain on my right shoulder. I thought something was broken or worst but thank God I am okay. I learned a lesson to listen better to my body while I am fighting.

My own self help treatment: I use Advils for the first 5 days of my acute injuries, RICE method every night or when I am home, drinking Yunnan Baiyao 5ml before bedtime, Wen Tong Gao linament before bedtime, I take Premium Lubri-Joint three times a day, had one acupuncture session on the same day of my acute injury, using SuperBlue throughout the day, and doing Warrior Wellness modified of course due to my injury, and taking a break from my training helped me alot and I think I will start back by next week. I also use magnetic theraphy but that might be too voodoo for some folks here <wink>. I am recovering much faster than those who had similar injuries such myself. Maybe it is due to my own healing abilities or what I am doing to help myself. I hope you can absorb my experience and work it to your own benefit.

The funny thing is that I am going to be a CST coach and have a particular CST goal to reach and for last couple of days since my injury, I have been using only left arm for my clubbell training. At least I am not completely out from my training and things could be worst. Well best of luck with your pain and injury. Recover soon.

yu shan
12-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Do not exclude a massage. Sometimes pain in one area is coming from another.

AndyM
12-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Ralphie
I have tendonitis in my wrist. I've been to the doctor and tried to rehab, but am to the point where I'm going to get a cortizon shot. Anyone have any experience with this, and what were the results? Any side effects? Thanks in advance

I've had cortizone in both elbows a few times.

I think it has a local anaesthetic mixed into the injection usually.

Not pleasant, as the objective is to reduce inflammation, and it has to go to where the pain is, so you can have the needle moved around until your doctor finds the right spot.

You'll have a rough night when the anaesthetic part wears off, but it's really rapid in reducing inflammation.

It'll make you think twice about abusing your joints in future.

Empty Fist
12-24-2004, 07:41 AM
I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome three years ago in both hands. Doctor wanted to operate. I decided to pass. My hands and wrists are a lot better. Once and a while my hands/wrist flare-up. What helped me is the following:

1. Tai Chi Chuan (helped me to relax my arms and wrists)
2. Armaid (a self massage tool and weel worth the money – www.armaid.com)
3. Bromelain (pineapple enzyme that helps reduce swelling which worked better for me than NSAIDS)
4. Stretching
5. Proper ergonomics when operating a computer
6. Taking frequent breaks when operating a computer.
7. IMO, cortisone shots masks the problem. Too many cortisone shots can damage your wrists.
8. Wearing a wrist brace at night which helped then tendons relax

Hope this helps. Consult with your doctor before taking on any exercise program or taking any supplements.