PDA

View Full Version : IronMind catalogue

Toby
12-16-2004, 06:38 AM
I got the 2005 IronMind catalogue the other day and was flicking through it tonight. Wish I had $1,000,000 :(. Lots of goodies in there, including some new ones. Amongst other things, new CoCs @ 60lb and 80lb (the T is 100lb). This might be good for e.g. our women forum members. Otherwise, lots of awesome stuff. Things I'd like:

(i) the S-Cubed bar @ $329.95 + $60 S&H to the lower 48 :eek:
(ii) if I was really rich, a Buffalo bar as well for another $339.95 + $60.
(iii) Eleiko setup. Just the cheap Training line, not the Competition line. Plates are only 25kg @ $289, 20kg @ $229, 15kg @ $189, 10kg @$159, 5kg @ $109, 2.5kg @ $99. Those prices are for one plate, not a pair.
(iv) Elephant steps @ $449.95/pair + $85 S&H. I might actually make these once I get a welder. You could buy a lot of steel for $535.
(v) The 4lb iron balls.
(vi) hub style and block style pinch grippers. Again, I might make them when I get a welder.
(vii) Apollon's Axle bar @ $179.95 + $50 S&H.
(viii) Twist Yo' Wrist @ $34.95 for an alternative wrist roller.
(ix) Holle-it-up dumbbell @ $74.95. This looks really interesting. Maybe KB fans would like this one.
(x) Lastly, Hand Gripper Helpers. Looks like they took notice of Foo's complaint and offer a more progressive way to increase poundage on the CoCs. Actually, they look pretty sucky but I wouldn't mind trying them and they're cheap.

Will I actually be buying any of this? Nup. Not in the near future anyway. Some of the cheaper things might make their way onto the list next time I place an IronMind order, but I don't need anything from there at the moment. Plus, I'll make the easier stuff to make. Just need my angle grinder fixed and a welder.

Ford Prefect
12-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Hey Tob's,

IronMind is REALLY over priced for all that stuff listed. You could look around the web and get it for a lot cheaper. Some of it isn't as high quality, but unless you're throwing 600 lbs on that buffalo bar, then it shouldn't make much of difference. ;) I liked the new sandbag setup they had.

Toby
12-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Lol! I know it's overpriced - I'm just daydreaming. Sandbag stuff? Missed it. *Flicks through again* Oh yeah, nice. Actually, that's something else I wouldn't mind - the $59.95 set. You got it?

One other thing I liked was the Snowballs. They'd be good for sitting around watching TV (which is why I mentioned the iron balls before). And I forgot the Draft Horse harness too.

I also love the photos in their catalogues. My favourite this time? Funnily enough, the one of Shannon Hartnett on p50. I usually don't like super-athletic women, but that's a nice shot that captures explosiveness very well.

Oso
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/ironmind/

these guys???

Toby
12-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Yep. Beautiful products. But you pay for them ;).

FngSaiYuk
12-16-2004, 08:48 AM
OK, I've read a bunch of the posts about CoC & hand/grip strength training and all... but until I clicked through that **** IronMind catalogue, it didn't smack me about convincing me that I just HAD to train this!!

****** and all my xmas $$$'s are already spent!!!

Ford Prefect
12-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Tob's, Is that the girl throwing that thing is a KB 2-hand swing type motion? I remember it. ;)

WinterPalm
12-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I've got the new catalogue as well.
I have a small punching bag filled with about #100 sand so I use that to throw around and play with.
I don't think they have very many new products that are any good. The gripper helpers are supposedly garbage, the new COC's are a gimic, more of a money grab, sort of like McDonalds and their healthy menu. Rubber bands for twelve bucks? Give me a break!
I would definately pick up The Grip Master's Manual and that Sandbag training guide.
Any one got any good ideas for working out with a sandbag?

rubthebuddha
12-16-2004, 01:32 PM
scrapper's sandbag death. that's always a fun one.

Toby
12-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Ford, yep.

FSY, the CoC grippers are certainly cool. You might also like to look into the Ivanko grippers for an alternative, although I prefer the CoC ones personally. Most people start with a #T and a #1. I went with a #1 and #2 and no regrets although closing the #2 isn't easy. Nowadays closing the #1 is easy for me, so the #T would be too easy. When I first got it, the #1 was hard IIRC. The average person probably will underestimate the #1 the first time and not be able to do it. I've had a few people give mine a go and not close it. No-one has closed it on the first go (but I don't hang out with strength people - I'm talking family and friends here).

WinterPalm, I also felt that the new CoCs are gimmicky. They sort of demean the whole CoC thing IMHO. But like I said, they're probably ideally suited to our female forumites. I don't have the Grip Master's Manual, but I did get Brookfield's Mastery of Hand Strength. It's pretty cool with some good ideas that don't cost the earth.

Oso
12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
scrapper's sandbag death. that's always a fun one.

working on figuring out the logistics for this one.

I want to get some smaller bags to hold 50lbs (1 bag) of sand each so I can load the duffel bag appropriately for each of my students...my smallest being a female about 5'3" and only 110 or so if I had to guess.

www.cheaperthandirt.com for cheap military surplus stuff.

IronFist
12-16-2004, 10:29 PM
I can't believe no one made a 4lb balls and 60lb CoC joke yet.

That being said, I wish they would make a slightly smaller CoC. Sometimes I have trouble holding the Coc in one hand because my hands aren't that big. Before I use the CoC, I usually have to help position it in my working hand with my other hand.

:D

I hear that in their CoC closing certifications you can't use your other hand at all, even for setting it up! I guess I'm disqualified then.

WinterPalm
12-17-2004, 01:41 PM
You can use the other hand but must show that a credit card width can fit between the handles before you close it.
But the width of the handles really changes from gripper to gripper. OF all my gripper the trainer is the widest, then the #3, then the 2 and 1 but my #4 has the narrowest handle set so that it fits perfectly into my hand and is great for negatives.
I'm about a quarter inch from closing the #3 and about an inch from the #4, is anyone close to the #3 that wants to have a friendly competition. We'd basically just post a pic of the closed gripper and assume honesty? I suppose we could use a set...

IronFist
12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
^ Are you gonna submit it to Ironmind when you're done?

Toby
12-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
is anyone close to the #3 that wants to have a friendly competition.Best I've done is 3 reps in a row with the #2 :(. Plus now I'm off training I'll probably go downhill.

WinterPalm
12-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I train with a set. About half an inch past the credit card width. However, now that I train pretty hard with the #4 I am going to close the #3 sometime early next year and hopefully one year from now I will be able to certify with Ironmind.

IronFist
12-18-2004, 10:10 PM
I don't get how the credit card fits? I once heard that it had to fit between the non-knurled rings that are halfway up the handles, but a credit card won't fit there on mine.

Seriously tho, if they made the handles a 1/2" closer together I would like them a lot better. I can barely get a grip on it now and it feels like it tears my skin off sometimes.

Toby
12-19-2004, 05:23 AM
The catalogue has the rules. It has to fit width-ways between the handles and the spring has to face up. You can use the other hand to position the gripper as long as you then take it off and use the other hand to slide the credit card width-ways in. Take the card out, judge signals OK and away you go.

IronFist
12-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I didn't get the new catalog.

It has to go width-wise where? At the bottom? Or at the rings in the middle? And by "width-wise" you mean the short way and not the long way (length-wise), right?

Are credit cards the same size in Australia? I would assume so but since money varies I thought credit cards might, too.

Toby
12-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
I didn't get the new catalog.Maybe you don't spend enough money there :p. My wife gets some catalogues like that - if you don't order a certain amount, you stop getting catalogues.

It has to go width-wise where? At the bottom? Or at the rings in the middle? And by "width-wise" you mean the short way and not the long way (length-wise), right?Yeah, otherwise I would've said length-wise :D. I presume it means width-wise between the ends of the handles, not the rings.

Are credit cards the same size in Australia? I would assume so but since money varies I thought credit cards might, too. I think credit cards are the same worldwide. Otherwise you'd have to get special cards when you wanted to use your e.g. Oz Visa card in American ATMs and restaurant swipe-machines.

Oso
12-27-2004, 08:14 PM
just got my catalog today...some sweet stuff in there.

funny though, I just finally went and bought a dowel rod, and some rope and pulled an old biner out of my truck and made me a wrist roller for about 3 dollars...they had one for like 55.

Toby
12-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Yeah, lots of it you can make yourself. Not CoCs, though. Nor lots of the metal stuff (well, you could if you were a metalworker). But yeah, cool stuff.

IronFist
12-28-2004, 06:56 PM
I did get the catalog. It got sent to my parents house instead of my apartment. Strange how this thread happened to get bumped right when I was about to post this in it, anyway.

PS. there was no pic of the credit card fitting in the CoC.

abobo
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
The new catalogue has a large picture of Ivan Chakarov's no-no-no squat. Not to sound like a ****, but I think I will cut it out and put it on my wall. That's my inspiration for squatting.

IronFist
01-08-2005, 02:08 PM
The only thing I don't like about the "no-no-no" picture is that it says "no-no-no," and has a pic of a guy doing a rock bottom squat. People might see that and interpret as meaning "no, no, no, don't squat this way! You need belts, wraps, and to only go down half way."

Toby
01-09-2005, 05:43 PM
^ What he said. That's exactly what I thought when I first saw those Ironmind pics and shirts.

IronFist
01-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it should say "no wraps, no belt, no suit" or whatever it stands for.

Or someone should make a shirt, and I think they may have made on already, that has a pic of a deep squatter on the back and it says "friends don't let friends squat high." How cool would that be?

PS. If that hasn't been made yet then I copyright it so screw you guys!!!11!11!11!1oneone!11!!1!!!