PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Sow Choy

red5angel
12-16-2004, 09:53 AM
how was your capoeira experience? How was Brazil? Where did you go?

Sow Choy
12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Oi Red5,

I loved my capoeira experience...

I only trained it for about 3 months, but played with it for 5 or so years now when I get the chance... The school I went to was in a athletic center, the people were really good. they taught us very quickly and had me doing things I never thought I could ever do...

Since I was around 9 I think, I have been into Breakin, I am 31 now, so I had a love for Capoeira at 1st site, the Jogo, the music, the whole feel of the culture... I also liked the competitive yet brotherly love and feel. I never sparred with them at that place, but sparred a few friends who mixed Capoeira with Some Boxing, and it was interesting...

My 1 friend caught me a few times with a kneeling foward sweep, he was pretty quick, but I was not use to someone actually trying that... So not much experience for me with Capoiera in that area, but I really am amazed by its good players.

Brazil...

We have 3 schools in our association there, My Sihing, Sifu Paul Fraga is the head over there. So when I go I visit with them and vacation... I have been To Rio, Sao Paulo and Joinville in Santa Catarina... Brazil is great, I really love it there, the people, the food, the culture, the lifestyle...

Those people know how to party...

Tchau Tchau...

Joe

red5angel
12-16-2004, 10:52 AM
holy crap dude, if you were as hot as I was you could be me!

I am doing things I jnever thought I'd be able to pull off, and finding I can do more just about every week, been there for about 5 months now and it's been a wild ride. At 31 I just thought it was too late for me to relaly make the most out of it. I may still encounter some barriers to some things but so far so good.

I also liked the competitive yet brotherly love and feel.

yep, you get it in other schools too but I've never seen it as prevalent as capoeira. I think it's the tribal history that has developed the art.

I got into it because of a couple of guys I sparred with. Sparred a couple of times and they pulled off some pretty cool stuff. Capoeiristas move like no one else.

kneeling foward sweep

do you know the name of the technique? I can't get some sort of sweep from negativa out of my head.

I'm hoping to get to Brazil next winter. Probably end up in Rio, Capuraginga, the organization my school is associated with is based in Rio I believe. everyone I have talked to has had a great time.

Sow Choy
12-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Red5,

Cant remember the name... Wasnt around long enough to learn them...

From there I learned lots of acrobatics, they were amazed at my prgression, but I am a b-boy (breaker)... I dont know the names but i learned a one handed back flip, aerials, a butterfly kick & twist, hurricane kicks single leg, alot of hand stand freeze type moves...

And Hey Red5... I am as hot even Hotter...

I'm Handsome Joe...:cool:

Just ask Gene Ching & Kung FU mag always trying to frame me talkin to the Got Qi girls :p

Let me know when you go to Brazil, I can give you some places to go and a number if you need anyone to show you around and what not...

Joe

red5angel
12-16-2004, 11:03 AM
I was going to mention I used to break back in high school too. It's helped a lot.
one handed backflip - probably macacoa, something I've been working on for a couple fo months and finally got down pretty good.

I'm Handsome Joe...

yeah but I'm Handsomer Jason

thanks for the brazil hookup. I'm hoping to go down with the group but my wife and I determined we'd go next winter either way.