PDA

View Full Version : Help for demo content

Haggis
09-17-2001, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been asked to do a demo with my classmates in a couple of months time, and am looking for some help with content, never having done or seen a WC demo before.
What are the crowd pleasers? I'm not too bothered about breaking, since my fists are no longer in condition for that sort of thing. #
I have a portable dummy, and thought about incorporating that into the demo.
Any help much appreciated,
Haggis ;)

burnsypoo
09-17-2001, 03:19 PM
This one always leaves em drollin'. haha

"I can beat any man in this room, in under 60 seconds."

Good luck!

-BP-

Sihing73
09-17-2001, 10:03 PM
Hello,

First you need to determine your goals. What is it you want to accomplish by giving a demo? Is it to show the effectivness of the system? Is it to recruit potential students?

I think a very basic demonstration of chain punching with stepping and defenses against same. Also, you might want to show various defenses against different punches at different heights. For example, a hook, a straihgt right, an uppercut and a cross. You might also want to do some defenses against weapons. Most common weapons you will most likley encounter would be a knife and a club. I know there are more but this is just as a starting point to get you thinking. You could also show the use of turing to defelct force as well as the option of stepping off the line to attack at a different angle. Each of these would show the efficiency of the system. You could then include some basic defenses against kicks. After all of this you could do a little demo of Chi Sau and explain what it is all about.

Not sure if that helped, may have rambled a bit. Anyhow if you are looking for specific techniques to demonstrate then there are plenty you could use. A lot would depend on the level of those doing the demo. I would most likely stick to basics though, remember the old adage K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid ;) )

Peace,

Dave

Watchman
09-17-2001, 10:27 PM
Also,

When you do a demo, what you DON'T want to do is try and show off and make a bid spectacle out of it. Those kind of shenanigans may work for the McDojo and McKwoon croud, but it doesn't really serve your purposes well.

Do demos from the standpoint of teaching, that way you leave the audience with something other than an empty show.

Do what Dave suggested and add in explanations as you go, ie. if you demonstrate common defenses against various attacks then explain as you go why the principles of Wing Chun make you effective at doing so.

Plus, as you start the demo tell the crowd that you would like them to ask questions as you go. It will make it more interactive and get them more deeply involved.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

One is weak because he makes preparations against others;
he has strength because he makes others prepare against him.
-- Sun-Tzu