PDA

View Full Version : the art of fighting without fighting?

kungfu cowboy
09-18-2001, 11:20 AM
Checkthis (http://home.soneraplaza.nl/qn/prive/wengshunkuen/whatiswwsk.html) out. Apparently the best defense is no offense! Ever!! :confused:

kungfu cowboy
09-18-2001, 01:21 PM
Um, wha?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wudang Weng Shun Kuen practitioners don't hit as much as those of most other lineages I'm familiar with. In our philosophy, the chain punches of the Sil Lum Tao form are only meant to teach one to hit on the centerline and are not used in practical application [/quote]

El_CLap
09-18-2001, 03:50 PM
Yep. Attacking is for sissies. Counter-attacking is where it's all at.

El_CLap
09-18-2001, 03:51 PM
I was kidding.

BAI HE
09-18-2001, 05:27 PM
There is no such thing as "Fighting".
There is such a thing as refusing another's violence.

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 09-19-01 at 10:31 AM.]

Slayer
09-20-2001, 02:39 AM
What Biotch came up with that

Sharky
09-20-2001, 03:50 AM
In the immortal words of Geoff Thompson - "Hit first, and hit ******* hard"

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

anerlich
09-24-2001, 06:37 AM
Actually Geoff Thompson has a book out called "The Art of Fighting Without Fighting."

It's good, like all of his stuff.

Jeff Brown
09-24-2001, 02:38 PM
According to Yip Chun, Lee Xiao Lung developed his JKD so as to look good for the camera and not bring unwanted attention to Wing Chun.

The more I read about Bruce, the more I suspect he was martial arts' biggest con artist.

DelicateSound
09-25-2001, 12:59 AM
Meng Shuo, I think I'm starting to agree with you. I've always been a big fan, but where are the records of his quality. Who did he fight in real life? Sorry I betrayed you Jackie....

Still gotta love that colisseum fight though... :p

Insert intellectual quote here:

Spectre
09-25-2001, 01:57 AM
I hope your remarks are in gest. Bruce was always committed to being a martial artist first.
Several books and general knowledge have already stated this fact. You are entitled to you opinions of course - this is not the focus of this reply.

If a martial artist never gets into a fight, does this mean that he is not a good fighter or does it mean that he is simply smart enough to walk away?

After all - should you fight someone if you know that you will win?

Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

EmptyCup
09-25-2001, 05:53 AM
...is when you call your friends to beat your opponent for you while you watch :cool:

Jeff Brown
09-25-2001, 02:42 PM
I am just quoting near-verbatim what Yip Chun said in a book co-authored by Danny Cooper (or was it Bonaduce? Can't recall). He said that Yip Chun was present at a meeting where Bruce explained that he wanted to make changes to the Wing Chun system to make it better for the movies and to take heat away from Wing Chun masters, who may have been criticized for allowing this new form to still be called Wing Chun. According to Yip Chun, Bruce renamed his new, eclectic style to avoid criticism -- if the style were his own, even Wing Chun masters couldn't criticize it.

Add that info to what others close to him have said (search the web and you shall find a lot of people who trained under Bruce making a lot of less than flattering accusations about being mercenary and so on), plus indications I have heard about the bogusness of the so-called one-inch punch, and you start to see a very different image of Bruce unfold.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the guy a bit. Hollywood dicked him over bigtime! And he was great at what he did. But the elevation to near god-like status, in my opinion, is the result of a fair bit of willful blindness.

Horatio Algiers
09-26-2001, 03:35 AM
The art of fighting without fighting:

Isn't that when someone ask you "what's your style" you reply with "The art of fighting without fighting". When they ask to see it you trick them into getting onto a life boat and tow it behind the ship your're on (Assuming you are headed to the Island of Han to participate in a martial arts tournament).

chisauking
09-26-2001, 05:16 AM
Your information on Lee was poorly researched. You couldn’t even get the author of the book right. For your information, it was Danny Conner.

Arguably, Bruce Lee was largely responsible for generating and promoting the art of wing chun throughout the world, and without him, wing chun may not have been as popular as it is today.

Although Lee didn’t reached the pinnacle level of wing chun, he was far ahead of his time, in martial arts development and training, in many ways. For example, he was using focus mitts and air shields long before any other martial artist at the time. And, over 20-years after his untimely death, no one in the martial arts has even come any where near his physical development.

We all can express our opinion of a major celebrity or martial artist, but at least form your opinion of that person based on true facts. To this day, with the exception of Joe Lewis, all the major martial artist that had personally trained with Lee all enthused about his true talents. My point is, if you are going to quote someone or a book, and especially if it’s negative, check its authenticity first. Never mind the “I heard” or “I was told” rubbish. If we were to play this silly game of “I heard this, I heard that”, then I can direct you to negative remarks concerning Yip Chun on the net, but does that make Yip Chun bad?

Quote: Add that info to what others close to him have said (search the web and you shall find a lot of people who trained under Bruce making a lot of less than flattering accusations about being mercenary and so on), plus indications I have heard about the bogusness of the so-called one-inch punch, and you start to see a very different image of Bruce unfold.

It matters not what a few have said. What are far more important are what the majority have said, and the calibre of the people saying it.

Roy D. Anthony
09-26-2001, 07:05 AM
Have you ever seen Bruce Lee's one Inch punch...it's really a four feet punch, if you look closely! :)

Jeff Brown
09-26-2001, 12:37 PM
My purpose in life and in attending this forum is not, as you would have it, to conduct thorough research on your behalf. I only said what I have read (of course I have read lots of good things about Bruce but they all seem to reek of adolescent hero worship). And since you are so familiar with the book I am talking about, go and read the section I am referring to again. It's near the end (sorry, no time to get the page number for you).

And, deeeeply sorry for getting the co-author's name wrong. At least I spelled your name right.