PDA

View Full Version : kicks

SevenStar
12-17-2004, 05:30 PM
http://www.kyokushinmail.com/koya/KickInstruction.htm

I thought this was kind of interesting.

stubbs
12-18-2004, 05:59 AM
I'm trying to work on a site similar to that. I've listed as many techniques, drills, and conditioning exercises as I can. I'm starting to write descriptions of their execution and applications but it's taking ages. Eventually I'd like to include pictures and videos to support my text. It's a very long winded project but I think it'll be worthwhile to help my development. You really have to break a technique down to be able to write a description.

I like the comparison of the different ways you can perform a roundhouse from other styles. The drawing of Muay Thai guy has his knee bent as he's doing the kick. When I was out in Thailand they told me not to do this - if I did, they shouted at me and sometimes hit me with the pads. They say in the description that Muay Thai sometimes kick with their leg almost straight (which is the way I was taught - and I agree with the Thai trainers that it was more powerful) which I thought was how they all did it. How do you get taught? I only do it with a bent knee now if I want to feint with something like a front kick or if there's not enough room to swing with my leg straight.

They don't mention where the weight of the foot on the ground is - for instance all except the Thai guy have their foot pretty much flat on the ground. The Thai guy is on the ball of his foot. I prefer this as their is less friction in the twist and their's less risk of over twisting your supporting knee. The downfall is the oppsite if the surface you're fighting on is at all wet or slippery in which case you'd want a little bit more friction so you don't slip over.

I couldn't see anywhere where they mention the use of the hands in the kick which I think is important for balance, cover and drive.
________
Zetec Engine (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Zetec_engine)

FngSaiYuk
12-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Wish the links on that page brought up the intended material.

Would be kinda nice to have a comprehensive 'encyclopaedia' of martial arts stances, movements, techniques, etc. online...