PDA

View Full Version : inspirational/motivational quotes and sayings

stubbs
12-18-2004, 09:26 AM
what are your favourite quotes or sayings that get you going? i think i'd like to stick a few on my wall and in other places i see everyday - mainly places i see in the morning to motivate myself or at least to make me think. i can't think of any right now but i'll add some when they come to me...
________
Shower sex (http://www.****tube.com/categories/37/shower/videos/1)

stubbs
12-18-2004, 09:30 AM
ooh just remembered one that i like. it's not an old saying or anything, i think it's actually from that song by len - steal my sunshine:

'you know you can't become if you only said what you would've done'

(or something like that). i'll keep thinking...
________
BUY VAPORIZERS (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

tug
12-18-2004, 10:02 AM
"I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble. And finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams."

Aunt May - Spidey 2

(Just watched it last night, it was the first thing to come to mind)

David Jamieson
12-18-2004, 11:28 AM
"bow down before the god you serve, you only get what you deserve"

"eat my shorts"

"what was that?"

"who ****ed?"

FngSaiYuk
12-18-2004, 11:59 AM
'Keep your hands up'

'Stop telegraphing'

'Don't hold back'

'Follow through'

'Just a bit more...'

'OK, now BOTH of you...'

'Yes, swallowing really IS good for you!'

yutyeesam
12-18-2004, 01:19 PM
the road to hell is paved with good intentions

FuXnDajenariht
12-18-2004, 05:26 PM
oh i remember a good one i heard not too long ago. i think someone on this forum might of said it. who knows...

"always shoot for the moon, for even if you miss you'll land among the stars"

oh yea....and one i been living by for years...

"jus' go wit tha flow" :D its...its......so taoist.. lol

FuXnDajenariht
12-18-2004, 05:29 PM
"baby, dont worry.......about a thing....cuz every lil thing is gonna be alright" - bob marley

and i dont know how inspirational this is but i like it...

god made beer to let you know that he loves you...ben franklin i think....go figure..... :D

phoenix-eye
12-18-2004, 05:44 PM
"pain is just weakness leaving the body"

PE

SimonM
12-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spears shall be shaken sheilds shall be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
- Theoden Son of Thengel

(Ok so I am a Lord of the Rings nut.)

SPJ
12-18-2004, 06:25 PM
San Bin Fa Mo. By Sun Tzu 2400 years ago.

The best win is by tricks (tactics and strategy).

Xia Bin Gong Cheng.

The worst way is to attack the castle.

Bin Ze Xiong Qi Yei.

Militarism or war is the worst disaster or instrument to attain your goal politically or other wise.

Hekk.

I love Sun Tzu Bin Fa. Every single word of the book.

:D

SPJ
12-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Zi Xin Yien Yung Lian.

Some characters borrowed from Sun Tzu are used in Huang Pu Military Academy. The cradle of the Nationalist Army.

Wisdom. Trust. Discipline. Courage. Honesty.

:D

bung bo
12-18-2004, 06:37 PM
"A handfull of sh1t and good intentions is still worth a handfull of sh1t."

MasterKiller
12-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Pain is temporary; Pride is forever.

Vash
12-18-2004, 07:19 PM
"Don't make me put my rings on."

"The important thing is this: to be able, at any moment, give up what we are for what we could become."

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Cody
12-18-2004, 10:21 PM
We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.
Anton Chekhov, 1897

This makes me smile deeply and has for years. Even though I do not believe in angels or the divine, this image shines like a candle in the dark.

Cody

lightsout
12-19-2004, 01:16 AM
That is nice.

From my teacher: What is your responsibility to the art?

He said that to me once and just left it open-ended like that. Thinking of it always puts me back on track of practicing if I get off it.

stubbs
12-19-2004, 03:43 AM
'satisfaction loses and humility gains' - i think thats a chinese proverb.

'you can do it put your back in to it, (i can do it put your ass in to it)' - ice cube

Vash -

is that from a film?
________
Nevada medical marijuana dispensary (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

jun_erh
12-19-2004, 07:44 AM
invest in loss- chen man ching

I also like in "Dazed and Confused" when the freshman asks the all star quarter back guy why he hangs out with such *******s and he goes "yeah he is an sshole, but he's a good guy to have blocking for you".

I also like the joke about the mosqito with a ******* floating down the river and he goes "raise the bridge!". I like it because because people are so full of themselves.

FngSaiYuk
12-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by stubbs
Vash -

is that from a film?

That's from 'They Live' - that particular line spoken by Roddy Pipers's character. Classic...

HopGar
12-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Here's one of many:
In Hebrew it reads, "BiMakom SheAyn Ish, Hish'tadel lihiyot ish," which in English is "In a place where there is no man, strive to be a man."
(Ethics of the Fathers)
It's a great quote because basically if no one will step forward in a given situation, you should be the one who does and takes responsibility and charge of the situation.

qiphlow
12-19-2004, 09:30 PM
from my teacher (although i don't know if he originated it--he's just the first place i heard it):
"you gotta fake it before you make it."

my own:
"never drive faster than you can stop"

and from buddha:
"all conditioned things are impermanent. work out your own salvation with diligence"

and from my days of hallucinogenic drugs:
"everyone is responsible for their own brain."

ZIM
12-20-2004, 09:23 AM
"I like my coffee like I like my women... in a plastic cup."

For the terminally lazy KFO'er [like myself]:
"It doesn't matter as much WHAT you do, it matters THAT you do."

GeneChing
12-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Check out our horoscopes section (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/horoscope/index.php) - we have lists of quotes from famous people by their Chinese zodiac.

SaekSan
12-20-2004, 12:22 PM
"The true teacher knocks down the idol that the student makes of him"

Jalaluddin Rumi

unixfudotnet
12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
"relax and elbows down"

phoenix-eye
12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
"I love it when a plan comes together"

Hannibal

lkfmdc
12-20-2004, 04:47 PM
"Losing creates adversity. Overcoming adversity builds character."

Dan Gable, one of the US's top amateur wrestlers ever and the most successful wrestling coach of all time

HearWa
12-20-2004, 10:27 PM
"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff
and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails.
You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at
night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love,
you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your
honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for
it then -- to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is
the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be
tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning
is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn."
-- T.H. White, "The Once and Future King"

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music to he hears, however measured or far away."
~Thoreau

Man in the Arena

One of the top three most requested quotes is that regarding the "man in the arena" or "not the critic"

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Below are additional quotations related to the more famous and later quote. These quotes taken from a cdrom - The Works of Theodore Roosevelt - National Edition, A PRODUCT OF H-BAR ENTERPRISES COPYRIGHT 1997

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." (1891)

"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." (1894)

FuXnDajenariht
12-21-2004, 04:24 AM
thats tight hearwa.....i love the first one especially. speaks to me on many levels... :D

tug
12-22-2004, 01:39 PM
"Do not ask for that which you cannot take"

Indestructible
12-22-2004, 02:02 PM
I live for myself and I answer to nobody.
-Steve McQueen

MonkeySlap Too
12-22-2004, 02:41 PM
"If we continue to be deaf, dumb, and blind to what's plainly in front of us, we have no one to blame but ourselves." - FBI counterterrorism chief Oliver "Buck" Revell.

"No Mercy" - Chang Tung Sheng

tug
12-22-2004, 02:43 PM
"Get over here!!"

-Scorpion

MAC
12-22-2004, 02:52 PM
"Do you know who the He!! I am ?!" - Evil Kenivel

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory is forever." - Keanu Reeves as Shane Falco in "The Replacements"

tug
12-22-2004, 02:59 PM
LOL @ Keanu!!

norther practitioner
12-22-2004, 03:05 PM
The Grass is Always Greener Where You Plant It.

CaptinPickAxe
12-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Walk it off...

FuXnDajenariht
12-22-2004, 06:07 PM
lol. walk it off.... i think everyone can relate to that one.

Meat Shake
12-22-2004, 06:16 PM
"If you dont get this done, youre fired."

"I feel the most important thing is for us to keep in close contact, to express our views frankly, and to make sincere efforts to understand each other. And, through eventual improvements in human relationships, I am confident that our problems can be solved to our mutual satisfaction."
- The Dalai Lama

"Life ain't a *****, life's a beautiful woman. You only called her a ***** because she wouldnt let you get that *****."
-Aesop Rock