PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Get Started In Researching This.

Theoracle
12-19-2004, 07:26 AM
THIS THREAD POSTED MAINLY BECAUSE YES I AM FEMALE AND JUST FINDING OUT MOST OF WHAT KUNG FU IS AND IT HAS INTERESTED ME TO GET MORE INSIGHT. IN READING SO FAR I HAVE FOUND A GREATER INTEREST IN THE PRACTICES OF TAI JI'

WOULD ANYONE BE HELPFUL ON THIS FOR ME AS TO GIVING ME POINTERS ON MORE INFO AND MAYBE FINDING THE RIGHT STYLE?
:rolleyes:

SimonM
12-19-2004, 10:48 AM
The right style for you and for me may be different.

An example; I have always had some fondness for swords so I practice with Jian and Sabre quite a bit. Consequently I have dabbled with a few internal styles (Chen Taiji, Yang Taiji, a very small ammount of Xingyi) in order to learn Jian but because I am a large guy the bare hand styles I practice tend towards external, powerful forms with hard strikes, breaks and take-downs like tiger-style forms and lohan forms.

These however would not necessarily be what you want. What are your motivations for taking martial arts? What goals do you hope to accomplish? What attracted you to martial arts in the first place?

ZIM
12-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Kung fu is a banquet. Just use your table manners- start at the outer fork and work your way in.

I'm not actually being humorous or fortune cookie here. Just find a class & teacher you're comfortable with [in Tai Ji, since thats what you identified] jump in and feel your way around.

Eventually you'll find what it is you're looking for and it might be something different from what you started out with.

Regard learning it as a process of years, not as a specified program from one or another instructor, nor as something that simply 'must be done now'.

/my advice

qiphlow
12-19-2004, 09:47 PM
most of "what kung fu is" is work. hard work. small gains over many years. please don't just look for the local McTaiChi school if you are looking for taijiquan. find a teacher with real skill, and be prepared to spend LOTS of time learning. before you think i sound too discouraging, let me add that the small breakthroughs you get from time to time make all the prior months and years up to that point seem VERY worthwhile, and make you want to work harder to get to the next small insight!

Chizica
12-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Oracle,

What city/town do you live in? Get your local phonebook out and do your homework. Make arrangements to visit every single school in your area and sit in for a class. Ask questions of the Shifu before and after the class. question the students, find out what a typical class is like. Once all is said and done, do more research on the Shifu. If you think youv'e found what you are looking for, then ask to take a trial class and determine if what is being taught is really for you. You can pretty much get an idea from what I just stated. It took me four months to find the right place, and I am very glad that I took the time to research as I found what I was looking for.

Christian

PHILBERT
12-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Try not to type in all caps next time too ok?

Ray Pina
12-21-2004, 07:08 AM
I highly recomend that you pay my master a visit. He teaches taiji during the day on Thurs. and I think Monday's, too. He has unbeleivable insight into real applications, and is one of the few that I know that uses taiji methods regularly, particularly against grapplers.

As for the health aspects, I've been training in Japanese and Chinese martial arts since I was 4. I never felt this thing we call "chi" until I met this man. Now I know it exists, and I'm learning how to nurture it.

I searched for this man for his fighting ability, but only recently do I fully apreciate the health aspects.

Of course, you can't talk taiji and NYC without also mentioning Mr. CC Chan. Do yourself a favor and see both and see what you like. My master is very easy to speak to, and has a lot of knowledge and is good at relating material to day-to-day experience.

Good luck in your search.

scotty1
12-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Regard learning it as a process of years, not as a specified program from one or another instructor, nor as something that simply 'must be done now'.

that's so true! Until recently I was thinking in terms of an 'end-product' and it was driving me insane.

If you think of it as a process instead it'll help cap your impatience.

Theoracle
12-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
Try not to type in all caps next time too ok?

hahaha.. Oh.. promise!:o

Theoracle
12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
I highly recomend that you pay my master a visit. He teaches taiji during the day on Thurs. and I think Monday's, too. He has unbeleivable insight into real applications, and is one of the few that I know that uses taiji methods regularly, particularly against grapplers.

As for the health aspects, I've been training in Japanese and Chinese martial arts since I was 4. I never felt this thing we call "chi" until I met this man.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks very much I am going to definately see what I can do. I am most interested also in what is "chi". Would be something awesome to reveal to my own person.
thanks again.:)

Ray Pina
12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
It definitely is "something else." For me, it's nice to now have something concrete, something I can feel and experience.... that in itself is the motivation.

SPJ
12-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Yang Tai Ji is the most popular one.

There are few Chen, Sun and Wu. My brother studied Zhao Bao.

Yang is consisted of large moves and dropped the difficult ones in Chen.

Yang Lu Chan (1799-1872) studied from Chen Chan Xing (1771-1853).

Sun is from Su Lu Tang (1861-1932).

Wu is from Wu Jian Quan (1870-1942).

SPJ
12-24-2004, 08:54 AM
To study, people may start with 24 and 48 postures (Shi). They are composite of several styles. There are many info on this. Liang Shou-yu has a book in English.

For general info, "the Dao of Taijiquan" by Jou Tsung Hwa.

For Yang Tai Ji, there are too many books to list.

For Sun, the book by Sun Lu Tang, translated version by Tim C.

For Chen, the book by Ren Guang Yi.

All the good books and many of them are still in Chinese texts.

In a few months, I wrote a book on theory, practice and fighting methods of Tai Ji will be out.

:D

SimonM
12-27-2004, 04:30 PM
I concur with SPJ about "The Tao of Taijiquan" it is an essential book if you are interested in Taiji.

Theoracle
12-28-2004, 09:48 AM
WOW.. Thanks so much and I am definately going to have to pick up on that book. I am most definately interested. I am out of state now but I am sure to keep on in here for this and more. I am most pleased with all the support that I have already recieved .

again, thanks so much to all of you.. *smile*