PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong

monkeyspoon
12-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi. I'm planning a trip to hong kong in early feb 2005. What things do I really need to do when I'm there? I am probably training with Patrick Leung and attending Ip Chuns classes. Also I am going around new year time, has anyone else been at around that time? if so, how did it affect your visit?

Owen

chisauking
12-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Owen:

I will probably be in HK during Feb & March as well. I know HK very well. If you like, we can hook up sometime. If you are interested, give me a buzz.

01242 678333 or 07836 600832

anyone else heading that way? To make to most of my time, I would love to train to anyone and every one.

michael yan choi

stuartm
12-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi Owen,

I think i remember you - do you train with Mike at the YMCA??

I used to teach with Mike at the YM before leaving to go my own way.

Anyway, just pack all the regular things, plenty of t-shirts and deodorant - Hong Kong can get really humid.

If you can i would try and get over To Foshan - the Ip Man Tong is well worth seeing. As for Hong Kong, I would try and train with as many Sifus as you can and not just those within your own lineage.

The VTAA has classes hel By Ip Ching, Chu Shong Tin, Siu Yuk Men and many others and it would be a shame to miss out on training with some of the most senior wing chun figures around.

You could also go to Fanling to pay your respects at the grave of Ip Man, there are also spectacular views of the city from up there.

The silk Market / night market on temple st is a hive of activity.

Dont do what i did thuogh, and get drunk at the bottom of Nathan Road and have to walk the full length of it back to Mong Kok!! Seriously though, Nathan Road at night is a must, you will also find some wing chun schools dotted around on NR as well, such as Leung Tings.

There is also a top Australian Bar off Nathan Road (forgotten the name - something like Crocodole Dundees???) which does great food and has a top atmosphere.

Anyway, enjoy. PM me if you want more info.

Please send my best wishes to Mike, Morris and any others at the class who may rememer me.

Regards, Stuart

monkeyspoon
12-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. chisauking, i'll talk to you soon, when i have sorted out dates etc. Stuart i'm impressed you remember me. I am living in Bridgend again now so the nearest class is with Sifu Jones. Thanks for all the info. I have only been doing wing chun for just over two years, but i fully intend to take in as much of the diversity within wing chun as i can, so that one day i can make sense of it all in my own way. So until then i am eager to experience as much as possible. You mentioned Leung Ting, is that Wing Tsun Leung Ting? Is it easy to get to train with all these different people? I may be PMing you soon, or you can contact me on monkeyspoon69@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Owen

stuartm
12-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Hi owen,

Yes - Leung Tings class is on Nathan Road, and I think one of Wong Shun Leungs students teaches there, or itmay even be his original school - Ernie or someone on this forum might now.

If i were you Id go and play Chi Sau with the top studentsof Yip Chun ( the ones you mention should suffice ) as well as those from other lineages.

You should definitely go to Yip Chings class (wed and sat at VTAA)

I personally think it is essential that you train with different people instead of blind faith or allegiance. I went out to Vancouver in April and trained with Master Eric Li, student of Yip Ching for 3o-odd years. Its amazing how different perspectives really improve your Wing Chun.

Ill try and send you some stuff for your site too.

Merry Xmas,

Stu

Nick Forrer
12-23-2004, 03:20 AM
Go to one of WSLs students classes:

Chen Kim Man runs the WSL class at the VTAA.

He is by all accounts very good (my teacher says he is the nearest to WSL of the students he has seen). You can see him on the science of infighting (WSL demonstrates kicks against him),

There is also wan kam leung, yuen yim keung, ng chun hong, wu chun lam, chi hok yin, cliff au yeung etc.

Airdrawndagger
01-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Yes it is Leung Tings original school and it is very small as what i thought looking at the photos
Nathan rd is awsome at night but so is Hong Kong Island!
If you can i think if you stay in Kowlong(i think thats how you spell it) would be one of the better places to stay because it is on Nathan rd and has a lot of stores, shoping, restaruants, sites, etc.
Im jealous your going! I was just there in August 2004 and loved it. Watch out for the indian street corner salesman! Want a watch? Want a suit?

stuartm
01-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Watch out for the indian street corner salesman! Want a watch? Want a suit?

Ha Ha Ha!!! Me and one of my former students got collared by him and ended up on the 3rd floor of this high rise block in Nathan Road with the dodgiest geezers ive ever met. The room was literally full of tags, rolex's etc

Luckily we got out of there without buying anything, but it was well shady !!!

Stu