PDA

View Full Version : I actually felt strong in the gym last Friday

IronFist
12-21-2004, 08:50 AM
I had to be quick cuz the gym was about to close, but I was determined to get my squatting and benching in even if I didn't have time for everything else after.

So, I finished squatting and warmed up with 135 x 1 and then 185 x 1 and then put on 225 and then I asked for a spot from this guy. He looked pretty big, or at least bigger than me (I'm 5'9" and like 163lbs @ 9%bf). He had the typical "frat boy" look, where he was overall big and definately looked like he worked out, but didn't have much definition as his bodyfat levels were a little higher. He wasn't fat at all; just not "cut." The forearms arms coming out of his t-shirt were definately bigger and more muscular than mine, and his half-covered upper-arm also looked pretty big, too.

So he's like "how many are you going for?" I said 5. I asked for a lift and pumped out my 5. It should go without saying, but, like when I squat, I also do full range bench pressing. Some people like to stop the bar 3" above their chest and/or help throw it up with pelvic thrusts (aka. humping the ceiling), but not me.

So I finish my set and he's like "do you mind if I try this?" I'm say "sure," cuz when the weight gets heavy and the reps get low I don't mind waiting a few minutes between sets. So he gets in place and I unrack it for him and it goes down. "Nope." He says, and I deadlift the weight off of him.

He says he hasn't worked out in a while, which I believe, cuz I've gone from benching 225 for reps to taking a few weeks off and then being VERY sore the day after doing a few sets with 135 when I come back. He also said he injured his shoulder in wrestling or something and I'm like ok, that could hurt your bench, too.

However, the ectomorph in me was extatic that I got 5 reps with a weight that an obviously bigger guy couldn't even get for one.

Now, that will probably never happen again (unless you're talking full range squats or weighted pullups), so I had to enjoy it. I try not to be a **** at the gym, and I don't make fun of small or weak people because I know what it's like to be them, and working out should be about personal gains and not about comparing yourself with others. However, this one time I had to let it slide cuz it's never happened before I mean, I've been a lot stronger than people my size before, but never obviously stronger than people bigger than me. Then again, it's kinda not fair cuz I was in a very trained state and he was in an untrained state, so he would probably waste me in bench if he had been training intensely at the time. Oh well.

Ok, that was my story.

PS. This guy felt it necessary to help me with the top 10% of each bench press rep. Who ever fails in the top 10%? I hate it when spotters help you on each rep even when you're obviously not struggling.

Pork Chop
12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Your bench is way better than mine if it means anything... and I weigh 240 (235 this morning after my rendition of Adam Sandler's "the longest pee" yippee!). I'm around 5'10 myself.

Samurai Jack
12-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah, good for you bro. I was stuck at 215 X 5 for months just before I quite the gym and started working out at home. It was frustrating 'cause I really wanted to press those double 45's like the big boys... Anyway, here's another mesomorph you can out bench! Good for you!

FngSaiYuk
12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
heheh, that reminds me of when I was in HS and really focused on my back and chest - the bench was like *MY* excercise.

My friend and I had been working out very regularly that summer... something like 3-4 hours almost every day. One day we decided to see what we could max out at.

At the time my bench press workout consisted of a 135x10 warmup, then 185x12,215x10,245x8,275x6,295x4. So we started at 365... we each did 2 of those... then we decided, screw it, let's go for it and we racked 4 plates on each side. We checked it out, looked at each other and decided to ask 2 other guys to help spot.

Now bear in mind, we're these HS kids, I'm 5'4" and wrestling at 119lb at the time, my friend is 5'6" and ~165lb at the time - these guys we're asking to help are some of the big buff body builders that we'd see every day. The WHOLE free weight area of the gym stop to watch...

It was THE kewlest thing, 405lbs, one and a bit reps for both of us... all the way down, all the way up the first time, all the way down and then faltering just a couple of inches going up on the second rep. Got some good kudos that day from the big guys...

ahh, memories... ::grin::

fa_jing
12-21-2004, 04:14 PM
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/worlds/wormen04/scoresheet.htm

You sure about your own weight at the time you lifted? Because your lift equals that of the winner of the 2004 IPF world championships in the 56KG weight class.

FngSaiYuk
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/worlds/wormen04/scoresheet.htm

You sure about your own weight at the time you lifted? Because your lift equals that of the winner of the 2004 IPF world championships in the 56KG weight class.

Yes, TOTALLY sure... I had a VERY high power to weight ratio back then. One of my goals over the next 5 years is to try to better my power to weight ratio again...

Samurai Jack
12-21-2004, 05:05 PM
So do you still bench 400? 'Cause if I did that, I'd be competing...

IronFist
12-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah, no offence, but I was gonna call BS, too.

FngSaiYuk
12-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Nope, can't hit 400lb right now... I'd like to compete, but even tho' I'm in better shape than most in the town I'm at right now, I still consider myself out of shape compared to what I know I can do.

Before I injured my shoulder 2 months ago, I was maxing out at 255 at the end of my bench set - 135x10 warmup, 185x12, 205x10, 235x8, 255x4-6 (I was trying to get to a solid 6 each time before upping the weight again).

I only started working out again like 4 months ago, and I've ballooned up to 165lbs...

As long as I maintain my drive, keep working out and convince the wife I'll be fine, I really really wanna compete in the ring and possibly in strength competitions. Every time I see those strong man competitions I think to myself, hey, I could train to do that! I should do that!

Anyways, when I get to the point that I'll compete, I will DEFINATELY post about it on the forum. If you think I'm BSing ya, u're free to think so, after all, the internet is full of people who like to exaggerate a bit. Was just sharing a memory sparked by the original post.

PS- You might be able to understand the 405lb bench @ 119lb weight if you also knew that I had chicken legs back then and ZERO cardio. ALL of my wrestling wins were pins in the first round, if you took me to the second round you had me by points. My training focus back then was back & chest strength - which I know understand to have been really stupid as I could have done MUCH better devoting more of my resources to other areas...

Toby
12-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Back to Iron's topic, the guy sounds like a dick. I hate guys who try to lift a weight just because they see someone else doing it. Then again, I never lift with spotters. Spotter bars, but not with spotters. And I rarely use the bars unless I'm going for a max. IMHO you should know yourself pretty well and not go to complete failure*. I can pretty much say after each rep if I were going to fail the next one. The guy shouldn't have had all these excuses - he couldn't lift it, end of story. If you DL'ed it off him, he obviously wasn't even close.

*Some people might specifically train to failure, or do eccentric sets in which case failure is fine.

fa_jing
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
OK, so the powerlifting guys with the upper body you had probably have 20 more pounds in the lower body. Still, I worked out with a US bench press champion and he was lifting about 400 raw @175 lbs (including strong legs). He was 5'5" or 5'6". His chest was frickin huge.

IPF allows a single-ply lifting shirt which provides a small advantage.

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/worlds/worbench04/men_scoresheet.htm

Looks like you could have had a world record.

fa_jing
12-21-2004, 07:19 PM
hey, and more power to ya.

FngSaiYuk
12-21-2004, 07:30 PM
IF, I know the feeling, and it's kewl that you feel the way you do about trying not to be a **** in the gym, but sometimes you can just see that your max is more than some of the bigger guys.

Of course, when ya sit down and do the math, yes there's a lot of genetics involved, but there's also the amount of intelligent training time put in as well as the type of training. I've noticed a lot of the BIG guys don't necessarily go for absolute power, but rather to buff out as large as possible. Again, totally understandable as that's their goal.

But yah, sometimes you just relish a direct comparison where you're on top... ::grin::