PDA

View Full Version : The spotting thread

IronFist
12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
What do you think the difference is between a good spotter and a bad spotter?

Once time while benching I asked for a lift and the guy threw the weight at me. He threw it so hard it almost got past that point where it would have come crashing down on my legs because I wouldn't have had the leverage to stop it.

I think the key to being a good spotter is to ask the lifter how they want to be spotted. If they start to fail do they want a little help, like two fingers under the bar, so they still have to struggle to get it up? Or do they not want to work through failure (powerlifters may tend to feel more this way than BBers) and just want your help as soon as the fail? And when to help needs to be discussed, too. I hate people who help me lift on every rep, so I try to remember to say "don't touch it unless I say 'help.'" A good spotter realizes that it is the lifter's set and not theirs, so spot how the lifter wants it.

And I think one person spotting on squat from behind is rediculous. The squat is such a technical lift that even if the person did help it would completely throw off your balance and center of gravity and possibly cause you both injury. IMO, the only way to safely spot on a squat is to have one (or more) people on either side who lift the ends of the bar. Of course, then you have to make sure they lift at the same rate so you don't tip over. You don't have to worry too much about this, tho, if you use the safety bars in the squat rack

So what do you hate and love about spotters, etc.?

Ford Prefect
12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
I usually said exactly what I wanted when I asked for a spot, so I didn't have problems there. It was with the guys who decided to yell at me to motivate me during the lift. It just distracts me or makes me laugh. "Come on! Come on! You got it! It's you!" haha!

Chief Fox
12-21-2004, 10:51 AM
So I'm at the gym this one time and there's this guy there who is a sporadic regular. And the weird thing was that he would always kinda look at me.

So anyway, I'm at the gym and this weird guy is there and he's just about to get on this nautilus type curling machine. I don't know much about the machines but anyway he asks me if I can spot him on this machine. So it's sorta like a preacher curl machine and here I am standing in fromt of him helping him grunt out a few more extra reps. It felt kinda .... gay.

From that point on when ever he asked me to spot him I would just say that I was on my lunch break and that I didn't have time.

Sorta off topic but that's my story. I feel yucky just thinking about it.

IronFist
12-21-2004, 10:55 AM
^ h0mophobe?

Chief Fox
12-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
^ h0mophobe?

Maybe I am, this guy just really freaked me out. I'm cringing just thinking about it and this was at least 2 years ago.

Abstract
12-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Chief Fox
So I'm at the gym this one time and there's this guy there who is a sporadic regular. And the weird thing was that he would always kinda look at me.

So anyway, I'm at the gym and this weird guy is there and he's just about to get on this nautilus type curling machine. I don't know much about the machines but anyway he asks me if I can spot him on this machine. So it's sorta like a preacher curl machine and here I am standing in fromt of him helping him grunt out a few more extra reps. It felt kinda .... gay.

From that point on when ever he asked me to spot him I would just say that I was on my lunch break and that I didn't have time.

Sorta off topic but that's my story. I feel yucky just thinking about it.

ahhahaaa

cheif: tell em..NO! you cannot touch my peepee!! ahahhahahaaaa

remember: say NO, then GO and TELL someone you trust! ahaha

oh man that was funny

ignore me:p

Abstract
12-21-2004, 11:28 AM
when i used to work out a gym...

i agree with Ford, just don't scream motivational platitudes while i'm trying to max out my bench ...i'll drop it on my skull from laughter....

i prefer someone just helps me with a couple of fingers on the bar if it's my last rep & i can't press/push the weight more than half way

_William_
12-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Once time while benching I asked for a lift and the guy threw the weight at me. He threw it so hard it almost got past that point where it would have come crashing down on my legs because I wouldn't have had the leverage to stop it.

Wow. He actually threw the weight at you? Thats awful holy crap.

And yeah I have trouble with people yelling stupid stereotypical things like "You the man! Unleash the beast!" when I'm benching as well.

FngSaiYuk
12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
heh, my best friend and I used to try to make each other laugh in the middle our last set... what're best friends for after all? The funny thing is, we started doing this after our first attempt at trying to motivate each other - it was sooo hilarious, from then on we'd come up with things to get the other to bust up laughing in the middle of the set.

Yah, potentially dangerous, but we were pretty good about catching and helping to re-rack the weight...

Toby
12-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
What do you think the difference is between a good spotter and a bad spotter?Don't touch the ****ing bar unless I say so. If you do touch the bar, don't yank it off - make that last rep hard. I ****ed up in failing, so don't just let me off the hook easily.

Sometimes I'd see guys who get helped on every rep. The spotter yanks the bar up each time. What's the point?

When I'd spot someone, I'd communicate first - how many reps do you want? How much help do you want? I'd stand there with my arms down and only lift them if I could tell they were struggling (and then keep them up for subsequent reps). Sometimes I'd say stuff to them like "come on", but not like "come on, you're the man!", more like "come on you piece of **** :rolleyes:".

Also, don't be afraid to refuse a spot. If you're not familiar or comfortable with a lift, you shouldn't have to spot it. And don't choose a spotter who doesn't know their stuff. If you've gunna get a spot, make sure the spotter looks strongish and knowledgable. You don't want a noob letting you down when it comes to the crunch.