PDA

View Full Version : Jump kicks in Wing chun

dre_doggX
09-23-2001, 09:04 PM
does any lineage or style have jump kicks in Wingchun if so what are they. I read that Wing chun was influence by southern white crane. so what are its jump kicks.

Andre Lashley

Arod1972
09-23-2001, 09:27 PM
It would be inefficient to have impractical moves in wing chun. for this reason they were discarded.

One who has two roots becomes a stronger tree.

kungfu cowboy
09-23-2001, 10:10 PM
There was a thread a while back about some wing chun school that had some flashy kicks in its program. Can't remember the name though. I think it was Vietnamese wing chun.

"If do right, no can defense!"----Mr. Miyagi

reneritchie
09-23-2001, 10:38 PM
To the best of my knowledge, WCK as it came off the Red Junks did not include jumping kicks (though Weng Chun, which is related, might have). However, some branches like Cho practiced other systems and may have retained a jump kick in a Choy Lai Fut or White Crane set, and others like Yuen Chai-Wan (Vietnamese) have been integrated with other systems and may have added them in.

Rgds,

RR

Juan Alvarez
09-24-2001, 06:32 PM
My school includes "flashy" jump kicks in advanced techniques. I think it's my school that KC refers to. It was highly critisised in this board at the time. The school has part of the Yuen Chai-Wan heritage in it, but mostly comes from Nguyen Mihn (vienamese name; don't know chinese name). As for the kicks' effectiveness, well it depends on when they are used.

reneritchie
09-24-2001, 06:57 PM
I believe he was one of Yuen Kay-San's two sons, the nephew of Yuen Chai-Wan.

Rgds,

RR

Juan Alvarez
09-24-2001, 07:11 PM
I think that's something to look into. I was told that Nguyen Mihn and Nguyen Te-Cong were brothers in arms! And he is also believed to be Wong Wah Bo's grandson or great-grandson. Anyways, I'll ask my teacher and Grand-Master about this and come back to you with the info... : :)

reneritchie
09-24-2001, 07:40 PM
Yup. Yuen Kay-San has two sons who have since passed away (though his grandson is still active) and their names seem to get mixed up somehow in some Vietnamese lineages. Yuen was not a common name in Guangdong or Foshan (as it is in Vietnam) and the family is not that large, so it would be pretty unlikely to have two with the same name so closely linked.

I think, as in China, some of the Vietnamese have taken the historical elements and crafted legends out of them. Good for the richness of the culture but confusing for the history. I believe some, however, have been going back to Foshan in recent years and a lot of it is being cleared up.

Please let me know what info you find,

Rgds,

RR

Universal Stance
09-26-2001, 09:17 PM
In W.Cheung Style Wing Chun, the entry technique can be altered to create a kind of jumping thrust front kick. But you don't really kick until you are just about to land. That's it though.

"Any style that can protect you is valuable; keep the 'who's style is better' debate to yourself" - Me

bratok304
09-29-2001, 08:46 PM
Hello, where you at the Ceremony? When we were all in uniforms and listened to G.M talk and answer question. ? :confused: :confused:

Juan Alvarez
09-30-2001, 02:30 PM
Yes I was there. Was great wasn't it? Hey, I checked your profile and I didn't see any e-mail! I think this discussion is e-mail matter, so send me you coordinates. Mine's on my profile. See ya :)n

bratok304
09-30-2001, 10:18 PM
Hello, sorry, I don't see your e-mail in the profile. :confused: And i hope we could talk in french in our e-mails. Anyways, here is mine :

nude_is_bladder@caramail.com

well, 1 of mines, I didn't know witch one to tell you.

Roy D. Anthony
10-01-2001, 11:16 PM
Pan Nam Wing Chun has a Jump Kick in their Wooden dummy. and some Ip Man versions have hidden Jump kicks in the WOoden Dummy as well. Hope this Helps your Inquiry.

dre_doggX
10-02-2001, 01:22 AM
I have tooked and studied T.K.D but I know the kicks or different.

what do these wing chun jumpkicks look like???? :confused: :eek:

Andre Lashley

Jeff Brown
10-02-2001, 03:21 AM
After all, the wooden dummy don't kick back! ;)

Just kidding, Roy D. Anthony. Actually I am interested as well in hearing about these kicks. It's news to me.

"Once I have harnessed the power of the Sun, I will be UNSTOPPABLE!" -- Mini-Me

Roy D. Anthony
10-02-2001, 06:04 AM
No one asked how High!!!LOL

dre_doggX
10-02-2001, 04:21 PM
Tell us what these jumpkicks look like
we believe you.
look at this site
www.shaolinwingchun.com (http://www.shaolinwingchun.com)

tell us how they are done

Andre Lashley

Juan Alvarez
10-02-2001, 06:38 PM
That's my school!

ATENG
10-03-2001, 09:24 AM
do shed some light.

"It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun."

dre_doggX
10-03-2001, 10:40 PM
Tell be about it and how do you do its jumpkicks

Andre Lashley

Roy D. Anthony
10-04-2001, 06:48 AM
Well Andre, they are seen in the Pan Nam Wing Chun VCD's you can acquire in any Chinatown. look for it in the Wooden Dummy disk. Looks like a bit of a transferring of weight type of jump kick.

Juan Alvarez
10-04-2001, 02:41 PM
I am not airborn yet, it's not my level. But I'll see what information I can gather for you...v :)