PDA

View Full Version : tiger crane

mellowman
12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
is anyone here learning tiger crane?, i have jsut started, i have been lernting for about 2 mouths, annd i love it!, i would love to know some training tips etc from anyone

norther practitioner
12-22-2004, 04:55 PM
tiger crane.. ie hung ga?

or a system, or a style, or a form from another style?

WanderingMonk
12-22-2004, 05:26 PM
some hung gar goes by tiger and crane.

these two sites will cover any basic questions and tips.

www.hungkuen.net
www.siulam.info

if you need more info, go to the southern fist forum associated with the above two site.

phoenix-eye
12-22-2004, 06:16 PM
you mean Nam Yang Tiger Crane? If so, then it's not the same as Hung Gar

www.namyang.co.uk

PE

David Jamieson
12-23-2004, 07:23 AM
There is Hung Kuen and there is Hung Gar and there is nan siu lahm fu hok and there are myriad "village" styles that go the 5 animals route of shaolin and look more or less like hung kuen.

but yeah, that site will answer some questions about Hung Gar and Hung Kuen.

the tiger crane delineation has been around for a while.

Hung is pretty big, but it just isn't always called Hung.
go figure. lol

it has a lot to do with revolution and diaspora though.

Judge Pen
12-23-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm learning a version of this form. By the structure of the form you can understand why it's a pillar form to the Hung Gar system. Very nice.

mellowman
12-23-2004, 09:27 AM
the triger crane stlye i'm learing is Nam Yang sorry i should of put that!, but it is very intresting to know about all the other stlyes, and i'll have a look at the other sites anywheres, cheers

Judge Pen
12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I couldn't tell you the exact origins of the Tiger Crane form I'm learning. I've learned the Ng family version before. From what I've seen there's a lot of versions of the same form floating around out there with some cosmetic differences; however, the underlying structure and principles are the same.

themeecer
12-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Tiger crane rocks. One of my favorite.

Laukarbo
12-26-2004, 11:02 PM
hmmm....
Hung Gar and Hung Kuen ..its the same!
Hung -the name
Gar - family
Kuen - fist

Some say Hung Gar some say Hung Kuen..

cerebus
12-27-2004, 01:47 AM
And some (like themeecer) say... Shaolin-Do! :p :p

themeecer
12-27-2004, 02:09 AM
Um ... ok

?

Firehawk4
12-27-2004, 05:16 AM
I have a tiger crane form on this video tape called tiger crane double shape fist it comes from Cho Ga family Wing Chun .

David Jamieson
12-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Hung Gar and Hung Kuen are actually just a little bit different.

Hung Gar is "Hung Family" and is generally used by the denoted lineages that drop down from Hung Hei Gwun and through those line.

Hung Kuen can contain those lineages and so, it is seen as same , especially by Hung Gar stylists, but in actuality "Hung or Hong" is a major branch of both Northern and Southern Chinese martial arts. Particularly Shaolin.

So, if we are talking in context to teh name of teh emperor or Hung then yes, they are teh same and interchangeable in that context, but if we are talking about the name Hung as in Red, then it gets different and if we are talking about surname Hung, again, we are looking at something different again.

Many schools do not do or name the so called pillar sets the same as one family to the next and have completely opted out of using Hung at all except in loose homage to the earlier practitioners. These schools are generally knowing that they have a connection to Hung-emperor or hung- red or hung-surname but do not fall under the more known and popular lineages and so call their art by its mandarin name or they call it simply nan siu lam or they call it fu hok or tiger crane.

Trust me, there are no families that can be considered "the same" when it comes to Hung Gar or Hung Kuen or Tiger Crane or Nan siu lahm in general. You would be surprised at the differences across time and especially in expression.

So, yes there is a deeper bond between them, but there are many things that cross over in a very general way from shaolin into many styles of chinese martial arts. everyone has horse stance, everyone has bow and arrow, everyone has empty leg, everyone has twist horse, everyone has flat/vertical and uppercut fists either swing or pistoning and so on...you get teh point.

If we look at the minutia, while all Hung is together united, in practice they aren't and in form they definitely aren't. So there is a delineation from hung fist and hung family. you can be a proficient practitioner of the fist aspect without necessarily being a member of the recognized family (of which there are only a few lineages which still can't account for the diaspora of the Hung fist outside those lineages).

Judge Pen
12-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by cerebus
And some (like themeecer) say... Shaolin-Do! :p :p

And me too. But I'll have to say that if you didn't know that a person was doing SD's version of Tiger Crane (and it was a good SD person who had taken the time to learn the form right), no one here would complain very much about the form or the performance. I can't say that about all of our material, but I can say this with confidence.

themeecer
12-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
And me too. But I'll have to say that if you didn't know that a person was doing SD's version of Tiger Crane (and it was a good SD person who had taken the time to learn the form right), no one hear would complain very much about the form or the performance. I can't say that about all of our material, but I can say this with confidence.
I agree, especially if they learned from your teacher. Depending on the practitioner, we have many forms like this. Great example is our Hua forms. I recently had a gentleman approach me at an open tournament a little confused. He said "I don't understand .. you're wearing a Japanese uniform but the form I saw you do was definitely Chinese." That one made me smile.

MasterKiller
12-27-2004, 10:30 AM
And then he pulled you aside with a group of old Chinese guys and said you were doing old forms in the old way like they did as kids, blah blah blah....We've heard that one before.

themeecer
12-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
And then he pulled you aside with a group of old Chinese guys and said you were doing old forms in the old way like they did as kids, blah blah blah....We've heard that one before. Ha. Nope.

BTW .. Belated Merry Christmas to you MK. :)

cerebus
12-28-2004, 01:04 AM
ROFL!! :D :D

Judge Pen
12-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by themeecer
I agree, especially if they learned from your teacher. Depending on the practitioner, we have many forms like this. Great example is our Hua forms.

Those forms come to mind too. Good to see you back around Meece.

David Jamieson
12-28-2004, 08:16 AM
I forget to mention the other "hung"...so, for posterities sake...

there is also:

Hung Muhn and Hung Mei pais from the Hung fist.

the second has a northern heritage as far as i can remember. The first is the hung society (door or gate being the inference) and the second means "face of hung" (not eyebrow).

There are also hybridized styles from Hung and others that use the old shaolin styles as there base.

I guess Hung Fhat would fall in this category. aka hung fut or a blend of hung gar and fut gar, both of which are buddhist based martial arts from shaolin temple of yore.

cerebus
12-28-2004, 06:15 PM
And then there's me. It's been said that I'm..... well, never mind. :D :D

BM2
01-11-2005, 10:05 AM
If I was Chinese I would want a cool Chinese name such as Hung Wei Lo . ;)

BM2
01-11-2005, 10:07 AM
For the slow ones, you can call me Hung Way Low. :D

brothernumber9
01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
why not be even more obvious and call yourself Long Wang

red5angel
01-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by BM2
For the slow ones, you can call me Hung Way Low. :D

this post reminds me of a "joke" a couple of freinds pulled at a hallween party of mine a year or two ago. See, my wife, being drunk, gave a couple of my even more drunk freinds some sidewalk chalk.
Lo and behold the next morning I get a call from the neighbor, he was polite, but wanted the interesting art washed off his driveway.
Knowing his driveway was already hit, I woke up a couple of the idiots who did it, ti go clean it up and then walked over to my other neighbors drive to see if they had been hit too. Sure enough they had.
There on the drive in bright white and pink chalk were two very obvious mammaries. However, my drunk freinds being the way they are decided that their work of art might get interpreted in some other way (I suppose if one just glanced at it, they might have appeared to be eyes) they had to take it one step further and actually include the label "boobs".

norther practitioner
01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
What was on the other driveways?

you should get some friends older than 14 too.