PDA

View Full Version : question about stretching machines

oasis
12-22-2004, 10:13 PM
has anyone used any to supplement the stretching they do in their martial arts classes when they're at home?
if so, can you comment on which ones, using these (http://store.martialartsmart.net/legstretchers.html) , for example

thanks

SevenStar
12-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I've got a hurley stretch rack.

oasis
12-22-2004, 10:41 PM
so sevenstar, did you use it regularly when you first got it, and did it enhance your stretching? or was it 'nothing you couldnt do by yourself'

i'm starting to stretch more at home, and was just exploring the option of whether a simple stretching machine may be useful .

Hua Lin Laoshi
12-23-2004, 06:46 AM
I don't have one but I've tried a few in the past. The one I liked best is no longer on the market as far as I know. It's the Power Stretch which was advertised by Bill Wallace a long time ago. I liked that you can pull back on the arm to fine tune your stretch.

I don't like the hydraulic one with the pump arm on the back (don't know the name). It's a hassle to reach and pump. The Pro Leg Stretcher looks ok though.

I've never tried the low tech one.

Chief Fox
12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
I've got the Steel Leg Stretcher. I use it a couple times a week while watching tv.

I believe that devises like these are a great PART of a regular stretching routine. Don't rely solely on equpment like this. You still have to strength train and do dynamic stretching to increase flexibility.

The Steel Leg Stretcher is easy to use and takes up no room. Basicly you put a foot in each padded "L" and then pull the center handle. As your flexibility increases you can shorten the handle increasing the stretch.

serene_dragon
02-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I dont use them myself, I have tried them and I dont really see anything wrong with them.

The thing about stretching machines is you have to be careful not to overstretch yourself.
Many cases people think well I can do one more crank or I can go one more degree and rip, 6 to 12 months of healing.
So my advice is just be careful, and pretty much any brand will do the job.