PDA

View Full Version : Ernie, Andrew S, combat fitness

Kevin Bell
12-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey Chaps

Just wondered if either of you two ( or anyone else for that matter ) have ever heard of or implemented the Max Jones Quadrathlon ( MJQ ) in helping assess the speed strength ranking of your students? It consists of four drills which whilst relatively simple give the hip flexors a little bit of a hammering. The quadrathlon consists of three consequtive jumps ( measured from start of first jump to end of third ), the standing long jump, the thirty metre sprint and the overhead shot throw and taking note on results and working accordingly on resistance training to further improve these charcteristics. So Andrew if you're still on the westside method a rest day is a great time to do it (if you do rest that is:-)

Another drill is Adolph Rupps (basketball coach) the dot drill promoting agility, foot strength and anerobic conditioning..

These two drills are incorperated in Staleys combat fitness programmes.. Any thoughts guys?

Cheers

Kev

Ernie
12-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey Geezer !
well i do alot of stuff in my attribute training to develop speed ,strength , conditioning Etc

but it's built into drills

have not gone as deep as you on the research tip my friend

i judge them during sparring and base there training on the flaws i see

let them guide the way if you know what i mean :D

but keep me in the loop love to get some more info

peace and i'm waiting fro some of your fight video bro ;)

Kevin Bell
12-23-2004, 02:58 PM
No worries bro got a milling and a boxing sesh to work off some of the festivities try and get some film down early jan. Gonna get my man who runs the boxing class in town to bash me about he's got Tommy Carruthers type speed (blink you die speed)...

With regard to attributes whats your take on the sticks speed,timing rhythm wise. Got to be honest and say i suck at the mo but my of my buddies is taking me under his wing ala vunak wise when we can free up some time. Should make for some fun

Ernie
12-23-2004, 03:07 PM
real good result

on myself and the guys

you picked up on my timing and foot work from the sparring stuff i sent you

that has alot to do with the stick and knife stuff

but we will have this chat offline

and i willsend you some training clips peace

AndrewS
12-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey Kev,

rest day=28hrs at work.

I haven't had a chance to check out the MJQ or dot drill. The latter sounds more interesting to me than the former, as I haven't explored agility training as much as I'd like. The former sounds like a more sophisticated version of the vertical leap for assessing explosive power, the latter, I'll have to do some digging into.

Ultimately, tests like this are cool if you're coaching and have a stable of athletes who you're doing skill work as well as S&C stuff with. My take is that unless someone is a trained athlete, when they pick up a new sport, they should focus primarily on that sport for a couple of years, then do more specific S&C stuff for the sport, unless they can do 10 hrs of skill work a week plus 4-5 hrs of S&C.

Later,

Andrew

P.S. Supertraining still rocking your world?

Kevin Bell
12-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Still rockin my world???? Yeup just put it down now glanced up at the clock and its two in the frickin morning!!!! Was planning to be pounding the streets at 6 somehow???? "No Kevin ,you slacker get your **** lazy ass out of of bed!!!!!:D :D :D

Cheers for the comments guys much appreciated..

Ernie
12-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Bell
Still rockin my world???? Yeup just put it down now glanced up at the clock and its two in the frickin morning!!!! Was planning to be pounding the streets at 6 somehow???? "No Kevin ,you slacker get your **** lazy ass out of of bed!!!!!:D :D :D

Cheers for the comments guys much appreciated..

now Kev just remember while your up in the am putting in miles all those other saps are being lazy in bed

that's just one more level above you will be

no shut up put on your snow shoes and run

i'll be doing the same in a few hours as well :D

Kevin Bell
12-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Snow shoes more like ice skates bro its brass monkeys out there. Anyway hauled my carcass out. Good five miler, some shuttle runs, come back for some rope work done and dusted!!!

Got to nip to the gym this afvo and put in DE upper body and some will breaking anarobic work on the concept two rower then im done for a couple days..Baton over to you buddy im off for xmas and may even indulge in a glass of the red stuff and a fidel castro havanan special turn green and throw up ha ha

Seasons greetings to all!! Theres a few people who's posts reading through the archive i've been impressed with (cant read em all this place is huge) and need thanking Ernie, Andrew S (thanks for the offline communication as well),T-Niehoff,David Peterson,Paul Hoang and Nick Forrer to name but a few (theres more, apologies for not pulling more names) without realising it you guys have have wrote some great stuff of interest to me. Andrew you spoke about a newsletter type thing a few days ago-youre already doing it man! Apologies on my part for not posting more, pace and time difference means a lot of the work is already done..

Regards to all
Kev