PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins Cheung's meditation class

whippinghand
09-24-2001, 06:26 AM
Has anyone ever partaken in it.

EmptyCup
09-24-2001, 06:29 AM
are you serious? Hawkins has meditation classes???

whippinghand
09-24-2001, 06:31 AM
So I've heard.

EmptyCup
09-24-2001, 06:36 AM
well, in a world where David Carradine teaches tai chi, why do i bother being surprised anymore?

whippinghand
09-24-2001, 06:38 AM
Many might be offended by your comment.

EmptyCup
09-24-2001, 06:42 AM
nothing to do with hawkins...he is a very influencial teacher

i stand by my david carradine comment though :)

i just think that meditation should be taught be qualified individuals and not every joe on the block that's all...there are sometimes serious consequences that can result from chi kung that need to be handled by competent instructors...

i can't judge hawkins expertise in this area but i know that there are many out there that should know where and when to draw the line at making a quick buck...

whippinghand
09-24-2001, 06:59 AM
for once.

EmptyCup
09-24-2001, 07:01 AM
hahaha well you have ONE good point too...

in the chi sau post, where you wrote about acquiring strategy through experience...

whippinghand
09-24-2001, 07:19 AM
You don't think it was too vague? You know how I'm so self-conscious about that...

Jeff Brown
09-24-2001, 06:58 PM
Where does one obtain the license to teach meditation and why?

EmptyCup
09-25-2001, 02:09 AM
It is not about commercialization...it is about ethical practice.

If a guy took two classes of mediation and then went out to teach dozens and in some cases, hundreds of others, he is not doing a good thing.

It is more than a certificate saying someone is qualified...just as black belts in martial arts doesn't indicate a person's ability to teach...it is beyond such things...

EmptyCup
09-25-2001, 02:13 AM
most chi kung teachers haven't even completed the lesser heavenly circuit yet teach others...what happens when their disciples or students begin to clear the lesser channels??? when their tongues stick up and their hands press together and they can't swallow? and the back of the neck starts to swell up with chi? Unless the teacher has experienced the process itself, he is putting the student in danger...

He wouldn't know to tell the student to not fight it, and to drop the chin to allow the chi to pass the neck...

This is but one example.

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 08:11 AM
So I guess nobody has partaken in one of them?

Abstract
10-10-2001, 05:27 PM
when you talk about chi swelling up in your neck, would that feel like tension or a sort of stiffness gathered at the back of your neck? My accupuncturist always tells me, 'you have chi stuck in neck...' He can always remedy the problem, but it's annoying...am i breathing improperly when i practice? I don't really do any specific qigong, but, my tounge does stick to the roof of my mouth, etc etc(no hand clasping or throat problems though :eek: )....it's more than a 'stiff neck' it doesn't feel like stiff muscles..hard to explain...any opinions?

-------------------------
In mildness is the strength of steel

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 06:13 PM
Do you grind your teeth?

Abstract
10-10-2001, 06:48 PM
yea man sometimes i do, when i sleep.....my accupuncturist told me to get one of those pillows that will support my neck, that helps sorta. but what about the neck thing? :confused:

Abstract
10-10-2001, 08:00 PM
yo man im gonna send you an email, just in case your questions get involved or crazy :D

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 08:23 PM
Does my asking you about your caffeine intake offend you? The moderator seems to think it may have.

Anyway, I e-mailed you the details.

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 08:29 PM
Be serious! EVERYONE knows that too much caffeine can be hard on the nerves and increase tension, which in turn could lead to neck-pain.

You shouldn't assume that your post about caffeine was deleted by the moderator -- perhaps it just fell off by mistake.

Abstract
10-10-2001, 08:35 PM
nah man, not at all, i was wondering what happened to it myself...i just figured it'd be easier to continue over email...wuteva man ;)
checkin my email now...

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 09:09 PM
What was I thinking...

I don't think the moderator would do that without reading the prior posts, in order to understand what's being discussed.

EmptyCup
10-10-2001, 11:35 PM
I'm referring to the symptoms occuring while in a lotus position or other "stance" or "form" where you are meditating. Not say, during walking around or while on the computer...although symptoms can affect you on a constant basis. Does the back of neck feel like this:

1) like pressure is building up there
2) feels like warm fluid is moving up there from your spine and getting stuck behind your neck
3) is very uncomfortable

during meditation try pressing your chin to your collarbone i.e. lowering your head. See if that helps the "fluid" pass your neck and up your head

the "fluid" gathers there because it is a "yuet wai" or chi point. Does your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth because you put it there or because IT STICKS THERE ON IT'S OWN? If it does this on it's own and curls BACK INTO THE THROAT so that you choke on it, it means you are in the process of passing the lesser heavenly circuit

Do you get "spontaneous movement" during your meditation? as in do your limbs move on their own as if you were in a trance??? How does your acupuncturist "cure" your stiffness?

btw, "fluid" is my way of saying "chi" or "breath"...cuz it feels like hot liquid moving in your body :)

whippinghand
10-11-2001, 05:31 AM
So I guess you have a lot of chi built up in your throat? Is that why you whine all the time?

EmptyCup
10-11-2001, 06:13 AM
No, it's just that you know how to p!ss people off...you do a good job whip...you must be a professional jack@ss :D as well as wing chun authority...I think I'm actually starting to admire you... ;)

Dave, if you censor this, you're going to have to censor Whippy too...

whippinghand
10-11-2001, 06:28 AM
As it should be...