PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Kungfu people are stupid!

Mr Punch
12-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Try your luck! (http://www.fudebakudo.com/cgi-bin/quiz.pl)

Represent!

So far we are second from the bottom after boxers!!!

Mr Punch
12-27-2004, 08:47 AM
I got 19 BTW. I might try it again with different primary arts - see if there's a bias!

Ray Pina
12-27-2004, 09:06 AM
There's definitely a bias. 3/4 of the questions are about Japanese names, weapons or arts.

Mr Punch
12-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Cmoooon, own up, whaddja get?!:D

Well, it says on the site that they weight the questions so you don't get too many quetsions about your own art, which would explain why you got a lot of Japanese qs, and I got some Japanese ones and some Korean arts ones... I ws wondering if there was a bias between taking it as a kfer and taking it as say an aikidoka...

FngSaiYuk
12-27-2004, 09:57 AM
I messed up on when the TKD founder died, where krabi kraboong originated from and the official max size of the inner circle of a judo mat.

David Jamieson
12-27-2004, 10:06 AM
the japanese arts are codified and canonized up the yin yang.

I find it funny that they would expect Chinese martial artists to know everything about the minutia of japanese martial arts with literally crumbs from other asian arts.

crumbs!

how biased is that. lol

p.s I guess if we started a chinese ma quiz it would lead to endless lineage arguments and who's got the real **** posturing sessions though...so maybe it's best we stay away from this. :p

Royal Dragon
12-27-2004, 10:17 AM
I clicked on Kung Fu, and got endless questions on other arts not even from China. How am I supposed to answer THAT, when my own family of arts is so confusing??

SPJ
12-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Interesting.

If you say you do not know, you do not lose point. And of course, do not get points either.

Pork Chop
12-27-2004, 01:36 PM
registered as kung fu.

the only kung fu question i got was a question about the characters in Jet Li's HERO.

Of course, I'm supposed to know what FUZI is in fake azzz ninjitsu (tell someone in Japan you're studying Ninjitsu and see what kinda reaction you get)- but u gotta hit me with a movie question when it comes to TCMA?

My nurse gf sabatoged me on the question for "which connects muscle to bone" (tendon or ligament); but otherwise I didn't do bad.

Scored a 15 to bring the average up from 11 or whatever it wuz.

Still an incredibly stupid test.... knowing "which bond movie was bond attacked by ninjas?" was martial arts related, how? I watch bond for the punany, not for the insultingly stereotypical representations of long dead martial arts...

SevenStar
12-27-2004, 03:23 PM
I got a 21. I missed two entertainment questions (one of them I knew, but didn't pay attention to the full question) and the other was a question about sumo wrestling.

I registered as muay thai.

SevenStar
12-27-2004, 03:28 PM
oddly enough, I had several cma related questions:

- What does the term 'red trousers' denote?

-According to the title of the classic Shaw Brothers movie, how many chambers does the Shaolin Temple have?

-What was the real identity of canine cartoon kung fu 'super-guy' Hong Kong Phooey?

-Wang Lang was the founder of a style of kung fu which he created after studying a particular kind of creature and mimicking the way it fought. Which creature?

there were two thai boxing questions:

-In muay Thai, what's a mong khon?

-In muay Thai, what kind of training is meant by dtoi lom?

MoreMisfortune
12-27-2004, 03:45 PM
i got 12
the questions were all stoopid and outa context to me imho

only cma question asked what was bagua also called - that be walking the cricle was the asnwer anyway

a bunch were japanese stuff i dunno
xept a judo question about ippon - i knew that one cos i always watch it on the olympics

norther practitioner
12-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Yeah, but the half if not more of the cma is about a movie, where some of the jma or kma stuff is like what year did some dude die. There were a couple of good questions, actually, most of the questions are good, but I think that test would be much easier from a jma practioners perspective.

Kristoffer
12-27-2004, 04:20 PM
11 outta 15

Vash
12-27-2004, 05:11 PM
27 out of 30 :eek:

Proof once again that Karate owns you.

SimonM
12-27-2004, 05:45 PM
21 points. I answered 12 of the 15 questions correctly; one was a forehead slapper about kendo that I should have gotten right. The other two were on a boxing match from the 1800's and about Olympic archery.

It's a dumb test.

I mean - for example -

Question 7: Category: Entertainment & Literature

What's the name of the giant rat who is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' teacher?
Your Answer: (d) Splinter
2 points

I don't know which is worse, that they posted that quiz question or that I answered it correctly.

But I think I might be the one that pushed us out of second last place, Kung Fu is now in third last place.

David Jamieson
12-27-2004, 05:51 PM
if the answer was "36" chambers it is wrong.

In the film master killer, there are 35 chambers which santi (sim see) can rise through.

the 36th represents the outside world and this was the chamber that santi wanted to start, ie: bring shaolin kungfu to the public.

out of curiousity, what did the quiz say?

and for the heck of it, there aren't even 35 chambers. :p (plain as day when you look at the old layout of the temple in antiquated drawings.

besides the main courtyards, the dining halls and the cells for the monks, there is a whole lot less than 35 chambers.

just babblin here, perhaps revealing something to some.

SPJ
12-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Agreed that the test questions are few on Kung Fu.

I like the idea of testing for trivials or knowledge of MA.

I do not like the idea of labeling questions in belt ranks.

I answered all the black belt Q's right.

So where is my belt?

:D

Oso
12-27-2004, 08:00 PM
the questions are randomized...if no one else noticed.

I got 4 points out of 30...

registered as kung fu so I screwed us there.

Question 1: Category: Entertainment & Literature

In 1960, the 'King' Elvis Presley was awarded a black belt in which martial art?
Your Answer: (b) chito ryu karate
Although Presley's high grades later in his life earned derision from some martial artists for having been more to do with his fame as a rock star than any martial expertise, his first black belt was earned in the orthodox way: hard training.

2 points

Question 2: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Boxing
What's a southpaw?
Your Answer: (b) a left-handed fighter
1 point

Question 3: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Kung Fu
The first form in Wing Chun kung fu is called 'sil/siu lim tao.' What does this mean?
Your Answer: (a) little way
Right Answer: (c) little intention
It's usually translated as 'little intention' or 'little idea.'

-1 point

Question 4: Category: Geography

Which of these countries does not share a border with Vietnam?
Your Answer: (d) China
Right Answer: (c) Thailand
-1 point

Question 5: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Boxing
How many times did Mohammad Ali win the heavyweight world title?
Your Answer: (d) 1
Right Answer: (b) 3
He was the first fighter to win the title three times.

-1 point

Question 6: Category: Oriental History & Culture

When did the Boxer Rebellion take place?
Your Answer: (c) 1900
1 point

Question 7: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Other
In the modern sport of fencing, which weapon has a rigid triangular blade 90cm long, with a bell-shaped guard?
Your Answer: (b) epee
2 points

Question 8: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Ninjutsu
What is the literal translation of shuriken?
Your Answer: (d) steel dart weapon
Right Answer: (a) inside hand sword
0 points

ha, my old teacher would be ****ed...I'm supposed to know that one.

Question 9: Category: Entertainment & Literature

In which Bond film is 007 attacked by ninja?
(Be careful, because in one of the films below he is assisted by ninja, which doesn't count.)
Your Answer: don't know (pass)
Right Answer: (d) License to Kill (1989)
In You Only Live Twice, Bond is trained by ninja, but not attacked by them.

0 points

Question 10: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Kung Fu
What does wing chun kuen (or yong chun quan) mean when translated into English?
Right Answer: (d) Ode to Spring Fist
0 points

Question 11: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Karate
What is this three-pronged weapon called?

Your Answer: (c) sai
1 point

Question 12: Category: Oriental History & Culture

To the nearest five years, when did Commodore Perry's ship arrive in Tokyo Bay and consequently end Japan's long period of isolation from world trade?
Right Answer: (b) 1855
Commodore Perry arrived in 1853, and two ports were opened for trade in 1854.

0 points

Question 13: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Iaido/Kendo
When was The Book of Five Rings written?
Your Answer: (d) 1535
Right Answer: (c) 1645
-1 point

Question 14: Category: Geography

What is the modern capital of Japan?
Your Answer: (c) Tokyo
1 point

Question 15: Category: Martial Arts
Art: Judo
Who is this judo champion?

Your Answer: (a) Aiko Sato
Right Answer: (d) Ryoko Tamura
Tamura holds an unprecented six World Championship titles. She's also known by her fans in Japan as 'Yawara-chan' after a manga character.

0 points

SiuHung
12-27-2004, 08:04 PM
I got 27 pts, but I think this test is more a survey of which style martial artists read cheesy martial arts mags like Black Belt and IKF and watch TV instead of training.

Oso
12-27-2004, 08:06 PM
welllll...in that case, I train like a mother****er....

MoreMisfortune
12-27-2004, 08:10 PM
hey... now i remember... i got one question that was what is the full name of Rocky from the Rocky movies lol :D

Mr Punch
12-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, I quite enjoyed it. I don't think it's supposed to be the ultimate in seriousness, I mean, I got two ****ing questions on the book that the site is for ('Fudebakudo' - which incidentally is quite dumb but quite funny, although I haven't read it all and had to guess the qs).

For all the people complaining about not getting questions from their arts: YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO GET THEM! This is to prevent you getting too many qs in your own area and thus skewing the averages too much.

And as for Kung Lek's complaint: surely JMA are more widely practised outside of their country of origin, that's why there're more qs on them...?

SevenStar
12-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
if the answer was "36" chambers it is wrong.

In the film master killer, there are 35 chambers which santi (sim see) can rise through.

the 36th represents the outside world and this was the chamber that santi wanted to start, ie: bring shaolin kungfu to the public.

out of curiousity, what did the quiz say?

the quiz said 36.

also, rap crew wu tang clan says 36. I've heard various reasons as to why though. One was the movie, one was for the number of core members in the clan - 9: 3+6. Another had something to do with the human body and the number of members... something like, the 9 members are the HEART of the clan, and a heart has four chambers. 9 members times the 4 chambers of the heart = 36.

SevenStar
12-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by SimonM

I don't know which is worse, that they posted that quiz question or that I answered it correctly.

nothing wrong with knowing the answer. I used to love the turtles - we all did. In a way, it's cool. I have the first two movies on tape (I don't acknowledge the third, since it sucked so bad) and my kid had never seen it, so we watched together. The younger generation knows about the new cartoon, since the turtles were brought back, but very few of them know that TMNT has been around since their parents were kids.

SevenStar
12-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Oso

Question 1: Category: Entertainment & Literature

In 1960, the 'King' Elvis Presley was awarded a black belt in which martial art?
Your Answer: (b) chito ryu karate
Although Presley's high grades later in his life earned derision from some martial artists for having been more to do with his fame as a rock star than any martial expertise, his first black belt was earned in the orthodox way: hard training.

2 points

he also has a black belt in a blended system called pasa ryu under an instructor in my city. I wonder if we coulda gotten bonus points for knowing that?

Becca
12-28-2004, 12:42 AM
15 out of 21. Not too bad considering they kept showing me picktures of very old Japanese guys and asking "who is this?". How the heck would I know?!? He ain't from my liniege!!!

But I did get some good general military questings, like what is a quiver, and what is a sapper. Almost nothing kung fu related, though, unless one is counting Jackie Chan moovies.:p

And that "picture" looked nothing like someone executing a sigle whip!:mad: ;)

Samurai Jack
12-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Ah yes, the perfect score:

http://www.fudebakudo.com/cgi-bin/quiz.pl?a=b&q=15

Aikido rules!

You know, I got a few kungfu questions on mine:

What is a wooden dummy called in cantonese?

A) Lung fong
B) Mook Jong
C)Wong Long
D)Noob Soong

What famous General was the founder of Eagle Claw Kungfu?

A) Yeuh Fei
B) General Tso
C) Kwan Kung
D) General Mac Arthur

Why don't Kungfu guys fight in the UFC?

A) They're too deadly
B) They aren't allowed to use thier tigerclaws
C) They're 'fraidy cats
D) They're above all that "violence"

:D Just kidding!

Oso
12-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
he also has a black belt in a blended system called pasa ryu under an instructor in my city. I wonder if we coulda gotten bonus points for knowing that?

I knew someone waaay back in the 80's who did pasa ryu...can't remember his name for schit though.

Judge Pen
12-28-2004, 07:55 AM
I scored a 21.

David Jamieson
12-28-2004, 08:18 AM
sevenstar-

there was a point in time when some of the greatest minds on earth were convinced the world was flat. :p

SevenStar
12-28-2004, 09:49 AM
that's because it is!! when I fly to japan - the other side of the world, the plane is still level and there is a horizontal horizon! it's not curving. The earth is by no means round.

P.S. I'm not saying that wu-tang thinks there were actually 36 chambers because of this. I'm saying that they in their group have been said to use the number 36 because of this.

MoreMisfortune
12-28-2004, 10:35 AM
i tried the quiz as a judoka and got 6 :D
i sugest yall do the same :D

David Jamieson
12-29-2004, 05:38 PM
seven-

people will adapt and create systems form others to meet their needs and frankly, in my opinion, if not for this, Kungfu wouldn't have made it this far.

having said that. There was a well known master in Singapore up until 1961 and his demise. He was reputed to have mastered the 2nd Chamber of Shaolin Kungfu. Without more eleaboration on what the chambers are, I think the idea of chambers has been misinterpreted, embellished and so on from the myths and legends of the wuxia stories, right up and into the modern ideas of what Kungfu is or was.

I wouldn't put it passed the wt boyz to be fans of the gord liu movie of the same name though and frankly i do think the 36 chambers idea came from that flick made back in the 70's.

MasterKiller
12-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Let' see... All the Wu-Tang members are named after Shaw Bros movie characters. They have their own "Wu-Tang Collection" of DVDs featuring bad, bad kung fu movies. Red lights, baby.

Anyway, here's a funny little story.

One day I was walking into EZ-G0 (the Oklahoma version of 7-11). These black guys are standing around a jeep with Wu-Tang blasting on the stereo. As I walk by, they give me, the white boy, a funny look, like, you know, trying to intimidate me with their loud music and blackness and all.

So when I come out I say, "Do you guys even know what Wu-Tang means?"

They say, almost in unison: "It's a black thing. You wouldn't understand."

So I say, "No. It's a Chinese thing. I guess you don't understand."

Then I got in my truck real fast and took off.

beholder
12-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I thought I'd post a response here to your discussion of the Fudebakudo quiz... especially since I was aware of the problem with the 36 chambers ;). So here are some thoughts -- I maintain the quiz on www.fudebakudo.com/maq, so your feedback has been and will be interesting.

First of all, that question is worded like this:
"According to the title of the classic Shaw Brothers movie, how many chambers does the Shaolin Temple have?" and the other answers are far from 36... :rolleyes: so I think it's a fair question. I'm happy to add to the explanation that's shown with the answers that there wasn't actually a 36th chamber in the film.

I don't apologise for the ninja turtle questions (there are currently 300 questions in the database, and yes there is even a Hong Kong Phooey question) because no matter how seriously you train, it's a fact that MAs are represented and misrepresented in popular culture. You just have to look at Kung Fu Magazine's home page -- currently the first three features are about film stars. Nothing wrong with that, it's simply the way it is.

Next, I admit the quiz is biased towards JMA rather than the Chinese arts -- there are a couple of reasons for this. First, Fudebakudo (the project it's part if) is similarly biased -- I've never trained in China, but I have trained in Japan. Sorry ;). Secondly, and this is why I wanted to post here, the fact is that the Chinese arts really are harder to pin down when it comes to definitive questions for a project like this. The Japanese arts are generally codified and fixed compared to the Chinese arts which -- or so it has always seemed to me -- are more diverse and dare I say less strictly organised. And to be fair it doesn't help that transliteration from Cantonese and Mandarin is never consistent, so it's tricky to ask a fair question that even students of all Chinese martial arts would consider fair.

Most of you realised that the quiz deliberately doesn't ask you many kung fu questions if you register as Kung Fu/Wu Shu... but the questions are in there. And more to the point -- the purpose of posting here -- if you want to contribute CMA questions for inclusion to the quiz, I'd be happy to hear from you. You can mail questions direct to me (personal email is in my profile, or else, info at explodingpen.com also works) -- here are some things to bear in mind:

Every question in the quiz is either "white belt" (anyone might get it), "brown belt" (own-artists will get it, outsiders would find it tricky), and "black belt" (own-artists find it challenging, outsiders have to take a wild guess). (Sorry about the belts, but Fudebakudo purports to be Japanese ;)) You never get asked white-belt questions about your own art. It turns out it's tricky to write good brown-belt questions, which are the ones I need most.

Because most martial artists who bother to do the full quiz do generally care about detail, even if they think it is dumb, I do check every answer with at least two sources. Sometimes some really neat questions have not made it in because it turns out not to be as universal as I thought. It's true to say it's a lot easier to check questions about film and entertainment or even general warfare than it is esoteric martial systems.

Finally sometimes it turns out we've already got a question similar to one submitted -- the quiz currently draws from 300+ questions, and is always slowly growing.

So -- summary is -- perhaps the quiz is "dumb" (pictures of old Japanese men together with "Who is this?" -- I agree more often than not the right answer is "How the hell should I know?" but that's not offered as one of the choices) but it's also accurate. If you want to add questions (and answers!) I'd be happy to hear from you.

The bottom line is the quiz is "just" a bit of fun; but CMA are under-represented and I'd like to add more CMA questions to it -- polite help would be appreciated.

Yours
Beholder

HearWa
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
I hate it when trivial knowledge is misrepresented as intelligence.

beholder
12-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Woah -- this is martial arts... who said anything about intelligence?

David Jamieson
12-30-2004, 11:09 AM
If you want to add questions (and answers!) I'd be happy to hear from you.

well now were talking.

let's start posting the q's and a's boyz n girlz

how about this:

Q: what does the name Shaolin mean?
A: Little trees. (also acceptable= young forest/small forest)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: what style of kungfu did Bruce Lee put together to condition those people interested in his JKD concepts?

A:Lee Jun Fan Kungfu
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What is a Darn Dao?
A: a big knife (also acceptable= chinese broadsword)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Who is the "god" of Kungfu practice
A: Gwan Gong (also acceptable = Gwan Dee or General Gwan)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What are commonly referred to as the big three internal kungfu arts?

A: Taiji, Xingyi and Baguazhang
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: what form of Buddhism was founded at Shaolin Temple?
A: Chan (also acceptable= Zen)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What is the Japanese name for the founder of Zen?
A: Daruma
Q: Who was the second patriarch of Chan and Shaolin Kungfu?
A: Hui ke
Q: What does the term Gar mean?
A: Family or Clan
Q: What does the term "pai" mean?
A: School or system
Q:What are the original 5 animals of Shaolin?
A: Dragon, Crane, Tiger, Snake, Leopard (panther)
Q: what does Fu Hok mean?
A: Tiger/Crane
Q: What does Kuen or Chuan mean?
A: Fist, Fist method

I got more, but I'll leave room for you guys. I think I was pretty generic and I tried to stay away from lineage stuff, who's who (except for Bruce, but even that was a generic question).

I would say try not to be inflammatory with "who's got the real **** type questions that will only spark more misinformation than there already is. God help us all! :p

SPJ
12-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Overall I enjoyed the quiz and the format.

The thing is that for every school there is different term for the similar thing.

Now that I know the white, brown and black belt mean. It is actually a good idea.

SPJ
12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Tai Ji quiz:

1. What is 4 fronts (Si Zhen): Peng Lu Ji An.

2. What is 4 corners (Si Yu): Cai Lie Zhou Kao.

3. What is 5 steps (Wu Bu): Jin (advance) Tui (retreat) Gu (look to the left) Pan (gaze to the right) Ding (center).

4. Peng is to use forearm to move upward and outward. You may also use other bodypart to Peng.

5. Lu is to use your palms to pull laterally to the right or left rear. Lu is also to pull downward.

6. Ji is to use forearm to push forward and downward.

7. An is to use the center of the palm to feel the opponent's Jin and press downward.

8. Cai is to use fingers to pull downward or from outside toward inside.

9. Lie is to use forearm or palm to apply a force horizontal to the opponent's Jin.

10. Zhou is to use the tip and the surrounding area of the elbow to strike.

11. Kao is to use chest, back, shoulder, knee, hip to strike. You have to contact the opponent's body first then start your Kao.

12. The 8 Jin methods and 5 steps are called 13 postures (Shi).

There are too many history and practice tidbits.

Anyhow, these are the basic and most important techniques or methods.

SPJ
12-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Tai Ji 2:

1. What is Chan Si: silk reeling or spiraling momentum around your joints.

2. Where does the Tai Ji Jin come from: the foot, and mastered by the waist.

3. 4 phases of study: a. body structure (Quan Jia zi), b. familiarity (Zhuo Su), c. understanding Jin (Dong Jin), d. proficiency (Shen Ming).

4. how to contact and stick (Zhan, Nian): use your forearm to Peng a little.

5. how to listen to the opponent's Jin (Ting Jin): use a small Peng Jin to test and sense.

6. how to deal with the opponent's Jin: never oppose and never lose contact (Bu Ding Bu Diu).

7. Why is that standing practice (Zhan Zhuang) important: to focus on Dan Tian and develop Peng Jin all over your body.

8. Why are Push hand drills important: to practice to know the opponent's Jin and respond accordingly.

9. What is the instrument commonly used to practice Jin: the long staff.

10. How to practice Tai Ji: use your will (Yi) and Qi.

Mr Punch
12-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Cheers for coming Beholder! I think your response is perfectly reasonable, and people are (surprise surprise for MA freaks) inclined to take it all too seriously... Maybe I'm a bit biased cos generally I find Fudebakudo pretty funny!

I admit I've tried the quiz twice, which is gonna contribute to buggering up any 'serious' data set, but I figure that didn't really matter...! :p The first time I got 19, the second 27. The second time I actually thought about the answers... I'll try it as an aikidoka next time... don't really know which is my primary art anymore!

And as for you geezers who want to contribute your own questions, I know you all want to show the forum how smart you are, but why don't you send them privately to Fudebakudo, otherwise all of us will know the answers which will somewhat defeat whatever can loosely be called the object!

BTW Kung Lek, the three internal arts q is already there.

Becca
12-31-2004, 12:33 AM
Q: What does the term "pai" mean? Not always. You should put it into context, i.e. in what language/art/style. I know we've been over this a million times. :p

beholder
12-31-2004, 03:55 AM
Thanks for all that.

Mat -- as for doing the quiz more than once -- certainly we had someone from TKD who -- for a while -- logged in every day and got full marks (30) every time, to keep TKD at the top. Given all the "Who is this old man?" questions, it's hard to believe there's any way that happens except by learning all 300+ answers :( So we don't for a moment think there's a real, scientific sample going on... I'm afraid Fudebakudo is being a bit cheeky when it makes that claim. That's marketing for you ;)

SPJ -- you said "The thing is that for every school there is different term for the similar thing" and you're bang on the nail -- unfortunately in this context that's the advantage the JMAs have over CMA, because as Kung Lek said at the start of this thread, "the japanese arts are codified and canonized up the yin yang" plus they have a single language. SPJ, are the term's you've used Cantonese or Mandarin?

There's also the problem that I was aware of with the Japanese arts, that often the question could be easily answered by a Japanese speaker rather than a JMA practictioner. It's hard to avoid that, but I hope you can see the difficulty with all foregin arts, including CMAs.

SPJ's valid question "why is Push hand drills important? to practice to know the opponent's Jin and respond accordingly" is an example of a good question with an answer that (forgive me if I am wrong) I suspect students from different schools could all find different "correct" answers to. That's not a criticism, it's a problem with almost any worthwhile MA -- otherwise we wouldn't bother to track down and stick with good teachers. It's all so subjective, and I'm the first to admit that does not lend itself to quizes. To some extent the multiple choice format can restrict things to the most sensible of four answers, but it's still tricky.

Kung Lek -- thanks for your questions too -- actually almost half of those do appear in some form or another in the database, but that's a good thing because it shows I wasn't completely off the mark already, so the others I can plunder easily :)

Incidentally, it's helpful if you could indicate how hard you think a question is to someone who is familiar with the art, where this is relevant.

Btw SPJ "silk reeling" -- that's a lovely one, since it lends itself to being one of a set of multiple choice and it's so descriptive... could you clarify to me (remember I don't practice CMA myself) if you think such a term is universal, or generally applies to one broad style? I don't mind specifics, but I'd like to be able to qualify them, such as "In the xxxx style, what...". Also, all these questions are presented under the heading "Category: Kung fu and wu shu" so there is a context implicit in the question.

Thanks for your responses, both on and off the board. Please keep them coming. In case you hadn't realised the side effect is I pick up interesting tidbits... yes I might even learn something ;)

Yours
Beholder

SPJ
12-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Thank you for including more Kung Fu and Wushu Q's.

The Chinese terms are in mandarin with Pinyin.

Agreed. The students in different schools may have various answers to a question.

I am more familar with Northern styles. If you may specify the style, it would be easy for the students to narrow down their answers.

I tried to use the most important techniques or methods in Q and A. And also the common terms more recognizable to all.

Chan Si is a common term across all the schools. There are big and small one and even body Chan Si.

Tai Ji Quan is all about Chan Si.

SPJ
12-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Praying Mantis (Tang Lang)

1. Tang Lang was created by Wang Lang almost 400 years ago.

2. Most popluar schools are Seven Star and Plum flower (Mei hua).

3. Most secretive school is Liu He or six harmonies.

4. Seven star is famous for its 7 star steps.

5. There are 3 to 5 hands in a squence like the petals of plum flower, thus the name is Mei Hua.

6. Liu He Tang Lang is also called Monkey and ape Tang Lang. There are hand forms of the monkey and the ape. (Ma Yuan)

7. There are more hidden moves, contact, sticking and circular moves than linear moves in Liu He. That is why it is also called soft Tang Lang or Ruan Tang Lang.

8. In contrast, 7 stars and Mei Hua are considered to be Hard or Yin Tang Lang.

9. there are 16 hand forms in Tang Lang.

10. Hook (Gou): use the pinkie and tbe wrist to contact and hook with the rest of the fingers. You move the opponent's arm downward or to your left or right.

11. Luo: use 5 fingers and palm to press the opponent' arm downward.

12. Capture (Diau): use thumb, index and middle finger to capture or use the pinkie, small and middle finger to capture the opponent's arm.

13. Cai: use 5 fingers to grab the opponent's arm.

14. Beng: bounce off the opponent's arm.

15. Dza: use your forearm to hit the opponent's arm downward.

16 In order to do Gou Luo Diau Cai, Tang Lang practitioners practice to grab lead balls and stab fingers into a pot of soybean or green bean. It is called Eagle Claw Gong or Yin Zua Gong.

17. In order to do Dza, the practitioners practice hitting forearm to a pole covered with cushion. such as circular upward and circular downward to hit the pole or Zhuang. It is called Iron Forearm gong or Tei Bei Gong.

18. Gua: use your forearm to move or hook the opponent's arm to the rear, to the left or right.

19. Pi: use the Pinkie side and circularly moving your forearm downward to hit.

20. Contact (Zhan): contact and press downward a bit to stay in contact.

21. Stick (Nian): use more force to stay in contact.

22. Glue (Tei): body close or in direct contact with the opponent's body.

23. Strike (Kao): once you glue to the opponent, you may use shoulder, elbow or hip to strike.

24. San: avoid quickly.

25. Rotation (Zuan): rotate your head or body.

26. Jump (Teng): jump to avoid or jump to attack.

27. Move (Nuo): move a little bit to the fron, the rear, the right or left.

28. In short, Gou Luo Diau Cai/ Beng Dza Gua Pi/ Zhan Nian Tei Kao/ San Zuan Teng Luo. These are 16 characters secrets of Tang Lang.

SPJ
12-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi;

The reason I posted in public forum. So that people may review the answers and may offer alternative or better answers.

Also people may avoid repetitive submissions.

:D

Tom Christy
12-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Beholder,

Had a great time taking your quiz. One thing that I found interesting was the question about the boxer Georges Carpentier. Your answer suggests that Mr. Carpentier fought every weight level from flyweight to heavyweight. However, all of the info that I've come across suggests that this is not true. Rather, Mr. Carpentier fought in weight classes from welterweight to heavyweight. See the following for reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Carpentier

Small point, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Regards,

Tom Christy

Banjos_dad
12-31-2004, 01:47 PM
:rolleyes:

wish I had spent those few moments stretching or something that will actually benefit me...I hope I never give a dog**** about when tae kwon do founder died...(unless it was at the hands of a KF practitioner)

beholder
12-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Ah, thanks for that -- all corrections gratefully received. (At risk of the thread going off-topic, you can always mail me instead btw). The Wikipedia article is interesting -- I hadn't realised he'd been a referee too!

I will correct the question accordingly.

Again, thanks for all the helpful stuff coming out of this thread :)

SPJ
12-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Ba Gua Zhang;

1. It was created by Dong Hai Zhuan (? - 1882).

2. Dong's Famous student: Yi Fu (1840-1909) nick name: skinny Yi. He included Ro Han (arhat) fist and Tang Tui into Ba Gua. The hand form is Cow Tongue. Yi Fu favorite student: Gong Bao Tian (1871-1943) nickname Monkey Gong.

3. Dong's Favorite student: Cheng Ting Hua (1848-1900) nickname Hercules eyeglass Cheng. He included Shuai Jiao into Ba Gua. The handform is Dragon Claw (Long Xing Zhang)

4. the main step is called muddy walk (Tang Ni Bu)

5. 2 steps to change directions in a circle: Kou Bu and Bai Bu.

6. The most common defense hand form: penetrating palm (Zhuan zhang)

7. The most common attack hand form: hitting palm (Dzuang Zhang)

8. Rotate your forearm to defend is called Gun Zhang.

9. what is the unique hand form in Ba Gua: spiralling palm (Ruo Xuan zhang): it includes penetrating palm (Zhuan Zhang), Tan, Kai, He and Chan Zhang. The Jin is from both arms rotating or spiralling. It is almost impossible for the opponent to defend. the force is small but very effective.

10. Use walk as the method. (Yi Zhou Wei Yong) Fight with an open palm (Yi Zhang Wei Fa).

Becca
01-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Banjos_dad
:rolleyes:

wish I had spent those few moments stretching or something that will actually benefit me...I hope I never give a dog**** about when tae kwon do founder died...(unless it was at the hands of a KF practitioner)
But it gave you the answers at the end. If you'd read them, you'd have that much more useless trvia to impress people with. :D :D :D

Shaolinlueb
01-01-2005, 04:55 AM
i got 10 points. i passed most of them because they were msotly judo or karate questions.

SPJ
01-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Xing Yi:

1. It was designed to hit thru leather armor the soldier wore at the time.

2. 5 element fist (Wu xing): Pi Beng Zhuan Pao Heng are equivalent to metal (Jin), wood (Mu), water (Shui), fire (Fo), and earth (Tu).

3. The posture is called San Ti Shi, both heals on the same line. The nose, the toes and fingers on the same line (San Jian Xian Zhou).

4. Pi: from top going downward, like an axe to chop down.

5. Beng: going forward, like shooting an arrow forward.

6. Zhuan: going upward, fast like a lightening.

7. Pao: one forearm to block upward and laterally, one fist goes forward, like a canon exploded. the hardest or most violent of all 5 fists.

8. Heng: from the left to right or vice versa, the shape is round, the substance(force) is solid, harmonizing the Qi of 5 element fists.

9. there are 12 animal forms and 8 characters Gong.

10. Ba Gua, Tai Ji and Xing Yi are considered internal styles or Nei Jia Quan. The force or Jin is from Qi and internally going outward.

SPJ
01-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Ba Ji;

1. It was called Ba Zi Quan or rake fist. Ba Ji means strikes at 4 fronts and 8 extreme directions.

2. There are 6 big opening (Liu Da Kai) and 8 big moves (Ba Da Zhou or Shi).

3. 6 big opening: Ding Bao Dan Ti Kua Chan.

4. 8 fighting methods: Cun, Guo, Ti, Kua, Zhuo, Luo, Yin and Shuai.

5. Cun (inch); avoid attack by an inch, use an inch distance to intercept and capture (Na). Ba Ji excels in close combat. An inch is all you need to defend and attack. (Cun Jie Cun Na)

6. Guo (wrap): use arms and body movement to wrap around the opponent so that he or she may not escape.

7. Ti (upward): use the foot to kick the shin; use the knee to hit the thigh or groin, use the back of the wrist to hit the chin etc.

8. Kua (hip): use the hip to leverage to throw; use the hip to Kao.

9. Zhuo (stab): use your fist or foot to strike.

10 Luo (capture): use forearm or palm to capture the opponent's arm or wrist.

11. Yin (hard): use soft ways to engage and use hard way to end the fight.

12. Shuai (throw): nothing else is working then just go ahead and throw.

Some links for more info:

1 (www.wutang.org) 2 (www.wutan.org/home.htm) 3 (baji.info/videoclips.htm) 4 (www.wutangcenter.com/wt/index.html)5 (www.bodymindharmony.com/BAJI.HTM) 6 (www.bajimen.com) 7 (www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/2630/list.htm)

SPJ
01-01-2005, 10:47 AM
There are more and many more.

I think that is enough for now.