PDA

View Full Version : Jet Li missing???

edward
12-27-2004, 11:25 AM
apparently he was on vacation - read link below

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19037

anerlich
12-27-2004, 05:55 PM
The site''s been updated, and , according to the horrid botch Babelfish made of the translation, he and his family are safe and well.

Please, everyone spare a thought and donate some cash for those more needy and less fortunate who were also affected in this awful disaster. The death toll is at least 4 times that of 9/11 and those people and governments much less well resourced.

VingDragon
12-28-2004, 05:51 AM
http://sify.com/movies/hollywood/fullstory.php?id=13638063

Vajramusti
12-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Every life is important. But Jet Li is a very very minor part of the massive human story and tragedy that has occurred. Not just the number of people dead but the millions who are utterly homeless
and will also face the ravages of cholera, filaria, typhoid, malaria, jaundice, many other parasites and in some areas snakes.We have not seen the end of the implications yet.

I do hope people get behind legitimate disaster relief organizations.

Matrix
12-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Vajramusti
I do hope people get behind legitimate disaster relief organizations. Joy and anerlich,
I also hope everyone take the time and effort to send a little something to which organization appeals to them. Times like these cry out for compassion.

peace

PaulH
12-28-2004, 10:22 AM
John Donne:
"No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."

My condolences, sympathy, and prayers to those who are affected by this grievous tragedy.

Best wishes,
PaulH

Vajramusti
12-28-2004, 11:08 AM
http://www.icrc.org/eng

The link above has much information on helping as well as locating people and efforts in each of the affected countries.

It is a monumental natural disaster and affects everyone-one way or another.

old jong
12-28-2004, 01:44 PM
I hope these people get help from the rest of the world.They had next to nothing even before the tsunami.
They should also get help with proper systems to give advanced warnings of these events in the future.Many coastal countries like the US and Canada have such systems and can move people away in higher regions out of range from these tidal waves.

Savi
12-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I just read at Yahoo.com that the death toll is over 50,000. Over 11 countries have been affected by the Tsunami, and help is on the way; several countries are sending 100's of tons of food and medical supplies there. Some of the stories I have read are truly disasterous, and amazingly there are stories of hope as well.

Vajramusti
12-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Old Jong. True. The thousands in the Tamil Nadu area of
SE India had no warning at all- till the HUGE waves came out of nowhere.

For those interested-

For the Red Cross- the proper fund name is "International Response Fund"... can be sent to any Red Cross Office marked as such. For the US an address is
American Red Cross
PO Box 37243, Washington DC 20013

Then each affected country has additional support networks.
For India an US address is

Prime Minister's National Relief Fund
Head of Chancery Embassy of India
2107 Massachussets Ave. NW DC20008

I can promise you both my checks will be in the mail tonight.

Matrix
12-28-2004, 08:33 PM

For those interested-

For the Red Cross- the proper fund name is "International Response Fund"... can be sent to any Red Cross Office marked as such. For the US an address is
American Red Cross
PO Box 37243, Washington DC 20013 You can donate online. It's much faster. :)

David Peterson
12-28-2004, 08:37 PM
The death toll is now approaching 70,000 and looks like going well beyond that figure. This is truly a monumental disaster that will effect the world for years to come. While it is so pleasing to see the way that people all over the planet are coming to the aid of those affected, it is so sad that it takes such a tragedy to make us all realise the fragility of life and the fact that we are all brothers and sisters, regardless of race, colour or creed. If only those who wish to bring terror to the world could reach into their hearts and find their humanity? Life is too short, and the world is too small - do what you can my friends to aid these poor victims of the tsunami in SE Asia - they need us so much.
DMP

Vajramusti
12-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Very true David.

Old Jong- there is an article in todays NY Times pointing out
that ot was not just a matter of lack of warning systems... that the link between an earthquake and a tsunami have not quite been pinned down.

Nature can surprise us despite our best plans- cooperative community building can change matters some--- such as dealing
with the aftermath of disease and illness.

Matrix
12-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by David Peterson
While it is so pleasing to see the way that people all over the planet are coming to the aid of those affected, it is so sad that it takes such a tragedy to make us all realise the fragility of life and the fact that we are all brothers and sisters, regardless of race, colour or creed. If only those who wish to bring terror to the world could reach into their hearts and find their humanity? David,
Well said. It is sad that we need a disaster such as this in order to show of hearts for our fellow human beings. It is a question for the ages. Let's hope that we can see an end to all of this madness before we wipe each other out of existance.

Peace

old jong
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Please take a look at this thread on the general kung fu forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34602&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) and on the tangent of the discussion.

herb ox
12-29-2004, 01:22 PM
well, that's the last time I ever post on the main kungfu forum. The point was simply a news article about Jet Li, but instantly careened off course with arguements between readers. That's what I get for straying out of my usual forum areas. Hopefully the Wing Chun bredren and sistren will be more welcoming of a distant martial brother.

peace to all

herb ox

Matrix
12-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Herb Ox,

Welcome. I can't promise that threads won't wander off topic, but it's a pretty good bunch over here. Even if I do say so myself. :)

PaulH
12-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Indeed, welcome to our little pond! We all like new and exotic fish! =)

old jong
12-29-2004, 03:47 PM
It is not your fault if some people have strange ideas sometimes.You are welcome here.

GeneChing
12-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that one got out of hand quickly, eh? They'll probably come down here and start a messin' with this thread. And to think, I was about to move this thread to the Media forum...

David Peterson
12-29-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm ****ed with the guy on that thread who said that only the Brits had backed the US in Iraq - the Aussies have been on the ground since BEFORE the conflict began, ...and are STILL there!

Anyway, all that is beside the point. The death toll this morning (my time) is approaching 80,000 and still expected to go even higher, perhaps more than 100,000 as diseases take over from where the tsunami began. This has got to be one of the worst disasters in human history and compassion is what's needed, not jingoistic comments about totally irrelavent issues - give as much as you can guys - those poor folks are going to need as much help as we can collectively offer, ...and then some!
DMP

Matrix
12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by David Peterson
This has got to be one of the worst disasters in human history and compassion is what's needed, not jingoistic comments about totally irrelavent issues - give as much as you can guys - those poor folks are going to need as much help as we can collectively offer, ...and then some! David,
Once again an excellent comment. Please tell me WTF Iraq has to do with this current disaster. This is no time for partisan politics. Watching the ever worsing disaster on the news just crys out for compassion. Most of us enjoy a standard of living that is unimaginable to many of the these people. If you listen to your heart, you know what to do.

Peace

Vajramusti
12-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Bill and David- thanks for staying on track. This is an extraordinary and huge disaster-rather than pointing fingers we should do what we can.

There are legitimate international sources and legitimate avenues in each of the major affected countries through which people of good will can help. It is not a time for bickering.

If you use International Red Cross please make sure that you earmark your contribution directly for the disaster on their site.

Savi
12-30-2004, 06:49 AM
114,000 confirmed dead. Sumatra island / Indonesia worst hit, which is closest to the epicenter.

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041230/ap_on_re_as/tsunami)

Matrix
12-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Bill and David- thanks for staying on track. Joy,
No thanks required. I feel compelled to stay on track. Good point on stating the specific relief effort when donating.
Peace,

kj
12-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Let us all pray that this latest Drudge Report News Flash (http://drudgereport.com/flash5.htm) is a gross overestimate.

FWIW, the members of our training group are pulling together a combined donation to the American Red Cross International Response Fund. This would be a good time for other like minded individuals to consider doing something similar in your own training groups or broader communities. The people in these areas of devastation are going to need a lot of help for immediate disaster relief and aid in rebuilding their lives and communities for a long time to come.

Thanks to David, Joy, and others of you for your strong example leadership.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Matrix
12-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kj
This would be a good time for other like minded individuals to consider doing something similar in your own training groups or broader communities. KJ,
That's a great suggestion. While governments flounder, we the people need to work through existing aid organizations to do what needs to be done.

Vajramusti
12-30-2004, 03:16 PM
FYI- In addition to the Sumatra and Sri Lanka crises- India was hit in several areas. The biggest hit was in the state of Tamil nadu
on the SE end of India. Apart from health, shelter and survival issues ahead- there will be long run economic consequences on employment, production and other things. Considerable agricultural damage in the next state of Kerala where cashew(including for export) and other crops are devastated.
In the Bay of bengal the islands of Nicobar and Andaman- half the people have died and the other half are/have been evacuated.
Over 13, 200 actual dead in India's count.

W bengal in India and Bangla desh had high waves and some deaths. These are fishing areas and it will take time to sort out missing fishermen.

In Tempe, Arizona, there are students from Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka who are sorting out the status of their relatives. Ironically an engineering faculty member from Sri Lanka here studies the behavior of waves and and has a dynamic wave behavior model in his office.He grew up 200 yards away from an ocean area that has been hit. He has relatives affected by it all. Sri Lanka also depends on exports.

In addition to the immediate loss of lives and the emerging health
and employment crises--- the economic picture for the affected areas will be bleak as well. It's really a time for folks to forget nationality and politics and pitch in.

David Peterson
12-31-2004, 04:32 AM
Sadly, it continues to get worse. As we enter 2005, the official toll is fast approaching 130,000 and still expected to worsen. In Aceh alone, they are now saying that 100,000+ are likely to have died, and there are seberal more villages, towns and islands that are yet to be reached or contacted. I don't know about you guys, but I am overwhelmed with a sense of helplessness and sorrow. I wish I had some skills that could be used over there because if I did, I would be on a plane immediately. This is a shocking time for the whole world. Now those poor folks have to face the more deadly wave of disease that is about to engulf them. Time to put down the guns all over the world and pick up our brothers and sisters, don't you think?
DMP

SAAMAG
01-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Maybe I just haven't been watching enough tv...but what wave of disease would that be?

kj
01-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Vankuen
Maybe I just haven't been watching enough tv...but what wave of disease would that be?

Cholera, malaria, dengue, and potentially any other type of disease which spreads rapidly when water supplies become contaminated by sewage and other human waste, and when hygienic infrastructure is destroyed.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Matrix
01-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Here's a report from CNN on the subject of the Disease Threat (http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.disease/).

Vajramusti
01-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Years ago I met this one armed TCMA guy at a tournament.
He is nota fake and IMO not engaged in a scam. I ham forwarding most of his post FYI.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: dukbei long <dukbeilong@yahoo.com>
> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:14:01 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: [kflist] Sumatra
>
>
> First, a little clarification...
> I use my email addresss, 'dukbeilong' as a handle,
> trying show some 'light-heartedness' about being a
> one-armed guy. It means single-armed dragon, a
> nickname that I inherited in the 80's. (Dragon
> indicating 'male', whereas pheonix would be
> 'female', thus "The one-armed guy". ) Anyway, my
> name is Tony Brown, aka 'Bandit' (as in one-armed
> bandit, etc.) So I do joke around a little about my
> 'diability', but I am not joking about this subject.
>
> I am going to Sumatra in a few days to work with the
> relief effort. My student from Iceland is a doctor,
> and we are bringing some medical supplies, mosquito
> netting, rubber gloves, hammers, duct tape, a roll
> of plastic, hand disinfectant, breathing masks,
> grappling hooks and rope.
>
> As you see from this list, we are going there to
> give medical attention to those we can, help clean
> up some of the debris, possibly build some shelters
> and not be part of the problem. We know people need
> food and water, but without a vehicle to dispense
> these food supplies, I am concerned that we'll just
> get mobbed and robbed. The latest news I got from
> Sumatra is that the food and water is getting to the
> area, but not directly to the people because of 'red
> tape' and fighting. I also heard that soldiers were
> recruiting survivors to fight in the 'Jihad'.
>
> No doubt it will be a relatively dangerous and
> extremely heartbreaking experience, but our first
> hurdle will be getting to the people without being
> attached to a Red Crescent organization.
>
> We need support in any way that we can get it,
> whether it be financial or by finding contacts in
> the area. If anyone on the list knows of CMA
> teachers in the area, I am hoping we have better
> luck getting our goals met. I met a few teachers
> from Indonesia last month in Taiwan, but wanted to
> see what my friends on the list can contribute. If
> you have anything POSITIVE to contribute in the way
> of contacts, logistical support or monetary
> donations, please reply to me via private post, as
> to not clutter up the list with debate and ridicule.
>
> Thank you,
> Tony

Tony's email handle is:
"dukbei long" <dukbeilong@yahoo.com>

Vajramusti
01-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Years ago I met this one armed TCMA guy at a tournament.
He is nota fake and IMO not engaged in a scam. I am forwarding most of his post FYI.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: dukbei long <dukbeilong@yahoo.com>
> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:14:01 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: [kflist] Sumatra
>
>
> First, a little clarification...
> I use my email addresss, 'dukbeilong' as a handle,
> trying show some 'light-heartedness' about being a
> one-armed guy. It means single-armed dragon, a
> nickname that I inherited in the 80's. (Dragon
> indicating 'male', whereas pheonix would be
> 'female', thus "The one-armed guy". ) Anyway, my
> name is Tony Brown, aka 'Bandit' (as in one-armed
> bandit, etc.) So I do joke around a little about my
> 'diability', but I am not joking about this subject.
>
> I am going to Sumatra in a few days to work with the
> relief effort. My student from Iceland is a doctor,
> and we are bringing some medical supplies, mosquito
> netting, rubber gloves, hammers, duct tape, a roll
> of plastic, hand disinfectant, breathing masks,
> grappling hooks and rope.
>
> As you see from this list, we are going there to
> give medical attention to those we can, help clean
> up some of the debris, possibly build some shelters
> and not be part of the problem. We know people need
> food and water, but without a vehicle to dispense
> these food supplies, I am concerned that we'll just
> get mobbed and robbed. The latest news I got from
> Sumatra is that the food and water is getting to the
> area, but not directly to the people because of 'red
> tape' and fighting. I also heard that soldiers were
> recruiting survivors to fight in the 'Jihad'.
>
> No doubt it will be a relatively dangerous and
> extremely heartbreaking experience, but our first
> hurdle will be getting to the people without being
> attached to a Red Crescent organization.
>
> We need support in any way that we can get it,
> whether it be financial or by finding contacts in
> the area. If anyone on the list knows of CMA
> teachers in the area, I am hoping we have better
> luck getting our goals met. I met a few teachers
> from Indonesia last month in Taiwan, but wanted to
> see what my friends on the list can contribute. If
> you have anything POSITIVE to contribute in the way
> of contacts, logistical support or monetary
> donations, please reply to me via private post, as
> to not clutter up the list with debate and ridicule.
>
> Thank you,
> Tony

Tony's email handle is:
"dukbei long" <dukbeilong@yahoo.com>