PDA

View Full Version : Stamp Kick Vs Roundhouse

Ish
09-24-2001, 12:48 PM
how effective do you think each is?
In terms of Power, Speed, Non telegraphing etc.

When do you thimk on would be better than the other?
please give reasons

EmptyCup
09-25-2001, 05:57 AM
stomp kick is easier to pull of effectively and less telegraphic...

roundhouse's (high and low) are more telegraphic and take longer to execute. But if you chamber well, the opponent will not know if a straight kick, roundhouse or anything else is coming up so you can still score with whatever he is open to...

the stomp is lower (below waist level) so it is much safer in terms of not leaving you very open and if jammed, you can still maintain balance. The round kick on the other hand, leaves you open and if jammed..well, things only get worse!

anerlich
09-25-2001, 06:56 AM
You can do a stomp kick at an opponent and retain the integrity of your centre/central lines. you can't do this with a roundhouse kick.

The stomp kick goes straight and thus it is easier for you to miss or he to evade by moving to either side.

The roundhouse goes in an arc and thus has a wider margin for error than the stomp kick.

Roundhouse kick can be used at all levels, stomp kick realistically not much above the mid line.

The telegraphic disadvantages of roundhouse and similar kicks can be significantly mitigated by the use of appropriate techniques to set them up and set the opponent up for them. This is also true of the stomp, of course.

wingchunalex
09-25-2001, 10:27 PM
stomp kick has more power. plus you can get off balaced easily doing a round house kick.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

rogue
09-26-2001, 05:05 PM
"stomp kick has more power. plus you can get off balaced easily doing a round house kick."

While I agree with that as a general statement for beginners and non-kickers, it doesn't always apply to someone with more experience with the roundhouse.

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-gads.gif
Never forget

straight blast
10-01-2001, 07:33 AM
Roundhouse is very powerful and hurts like hell, plus it has good deadlegging power. Stamp kick breaks stuff, and deadens a thigh like no other!!! Stamp is also far harder to detect or check because it's a short range sneaky kick.
I've been stamped out of a roundhouse before, & it hurts for days. :eek:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

John D
10-05-2001, 07:11 AM
Hi all,

As a former unversity soccer goalie.... I would say use whatever leg/kick is useful in the instant of need! As a WC teacher the same principles apply...espeically for the WC thrust kicks (Jik Tek and Dai Jin Tek)

You must keep working your lateral mobililty/footwork when countering kickers. Use your legs for mobility, for better positioning, to reduce the attacker's attack options, to stiffen the opponent's position by jamming/pinching his leg(s), and to use your legs to kick only when needed.

In my opinion, this makes WC a true leg system. Your iron fists are no good if you can't move!!!!
It is also my opinion that most trained Thai boxers would whip almost anybody in the same weight class. Back in the early 1970's many Hong Kong WC fighters shocked to find their training methods were next to useless against the toughened Thai fighters!

Back to the WC thrust kicks.....
Master Wong Tsok (deceased) once said to me to use the thrust kick to jam the attacker's pelic girdle (or knee/foot)when an incoming kick cannot be avoided. His words turned out to be valuable advice over the years.

"The WC thrust kick(s) can defeat all incoming kicks when used as a counter kick/Jam. However, if you use a WC thrust kick too early - all kicks can defeat the WC thrust kick." - Wong Tsok 1980

Keep up the sparring and experimenting. I am back to bed with a bad fever........sick.... sick ... sick....

Regards to all,
John D. in Hawaii