PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu school in San Antonio, TX

Jhapa
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Currently I attend Shaolin Do(I Know, read the threads regarding the school, they may have some influence, from what i have seen, from videos of forms, i have my doubts of being traditional). i am looking to find a new kung fu school.

I have been searching the web for school(kung fu) in san antonio, and i only can find one wing chun http://www.leungtingwingtsun.net/sawt/

others were in austin, tx 1 1/2 hour drive
http://www.ctkfe.com/adults.html (7 Star Praying Mantis) w/jeff hughes

this one is in seguin 45 minute drive
Four Dragons Chinese Martial Arts w/Sifu Michael Redmond (they have no website, does anybody know anything about them).

San Antonio, TX is a big place and no kung fu schools. there is a big market for it.

Meat Shake
12-29-2004, 08:05 PM
http://sa_combatshuaichiao.tripod.com/

Give them a call.

iblis73
12-30-2004, 03:28 AM
Yeah, definately check out Kirks group. Its fairly informal but he knows his stuff and has a nice mix (standup,ground,clinch.)

Another option is vasquez academy on raphsody rd, but theyre a bjj/kickboxing school.

Parkers wing tsun school is decent. I'd check out the ebmas school though-I think they have a better teacher (technically speaking). Same basic curriculum and its over on broadway.

Judge Pen
12-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Funny you mention Jeff Hughes, I just checked out his website yesterday. His stuff looks pretty good if your into Northern mantis and hung gar. I have heard nothing but good things from Kirk's group too.

How far did you get in SD? (Don't worry, I'm not going to try to talk anyone into staying). I'm asking because I'm wondering what type of kung fu experience you are looking for. Obviously, you have been exposed to differt forms purporting to be from different systems. Did you like the idea of training in any of them exclusively?

MasterKiller
12-30-2004, 08:49 AM
I've competed against Jeff Hughes' students at Taiji Legacy and AAU Nationals, and the ones I've met have been classy and competent.

Pork Chop
12-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
I've competed against Jeff Hughes' students at Taiji Legacy and AAU Nationals, and the ones I've met have been classy and competent.

I resent that MK...
When I was Jeff's student, I was neither classy nor competent.
O wait, we never met. :p

Personally, I'd go with Kirk's group.
I used to make that drive from north SA (Huebner and NW Military) to Austin and it was killer.
I don't know anything about the Seguin school.
And well, my opinion on 'chunners is a personal bias.
The bjj/kickboxing school might not be bad.
There's some good boxing in San Antonio if u can find it and don't mind hanging out in those areas- my big regret from all the years spent in SanAnton was not hitting one of their boxing gyms.

Jhapa
12-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
Funny you mention Jeff Hughes, I just checked out his website yesterday. His stuff looks pretty good if your into Northern mantis and hung gar. I have heard nothing but good things from Kirk's group too.

How far did you get in SD? (Don't worry, I'm not going to try to talk anyone into staying). I'm asking because I'm wondering what type of kung fu experience you are looking for. Obviously, you have been exposed to differt forms purporting to be from different systems. Did you like the idea of training in any of them exclusively?

I am still at SD, only been doing it for few months. it's ok for now. for jeff hughes class, it looks pretty good but thats 1 1/2 hour drive, 1 way. i like the look of mantis and eagle but am open to other styles. not sure of wing chun though. found this while surfing http://www.omeishan.com/ they teach aikido, kali, muay thai, and wing chun. the instructors are also trained in northern Northern Shaolin Kung-Fu and Yang style Tai Chi Chuan(wonder if they teach that also) the school is called Dragon Martial Arts and it's under Sifu Gilbert Leal

MasterKiller
12-30-2004, 11:03 AM
OK...they teach the "Omei system" but their kung fu is Wing Chun? And since when does Omei include Muay Thai, Kali, and Aikido?

red5angel
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
uh, my guess is its not all "omei" there MK. Some schools, I know this is complicated but try to keep up, some schools teach more then one style or family of martial arts.

Hey Jhapa, you need to decide what your goals are first, are you looking for real solid fighting skills? Self Defense? Do you want to learn all ranges or do you want to wear pajamas and dance around like several animals?

MasterKiller
12-30-2004, 11:06 AM
None of that is Omei, but it says:

Although the Omei (also spelled Emei) system is not as well-known to Americans as the ShaoLin, it is one of the 5 major systems known in China. (The other three being HaiNam, FuKien, and WuDan).

According to legend, Bac Mei (White Eyebrow) sought refuge on the Omei Shan during one of China's many government overthrows. It was here that he was taught the fighting style which bears his name. Again according to legend, his instructor was a nun whose name has been lost.

While it is the fighting style that receives the most publicity, the Omei system is in fact a complete course of study, covering many topics. Students are taught to become complete human beings, rather than mere fighting machines. One has only to take a quick glance at breadth and scope of required studies in order to understand why not many aspire to become students: I Ching, Baguazhang, QiGong, Weapons (18 in all), 5 Element Theory, Fighting Theory and Application, etc.

This "Complete Human" mindset is the foundation behind the intense focus of the I Ching, which every earnest Omei student is required to study, and which, due to recent advances in mathematics, has led to advances in its understanding and applications.
So where is the Omei kung fu?

red5angel
12-30-2004, 11:10 AM
was his list complete as to what they teach at their school? My guess is they teach Omei kungfu somewhere in there.

That's it, I'm doing your mom. again.

Judge Pen
12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Jhapa
I am still at SD, only been doing it for few months.

What other ma background do you have? Red5 is right, you need to realistically identify your goals first. If you don't know yet, then that's ok. Just focus on getting in great shape and check out all the classes in your area until something clicks.

Pork Chop
12-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Okay as far as the Omei school goes, I actually went there for a bit when it was called Dragon martial arts.

At the time I was staying at my folks place (in San Antonio) while on christmas or summer break from college (way up in lubbock).

Jaime and or Gabe from the "meet the instructors" page used to post on here; I used to chat with them over email and they're nice guys.

When I was there, it was a class taught at a park at the covered picnic table area.

The class would go Wing Chun for an hour or 2, Thai kickboxing for an hour or 2, and then Fillipino Martial Arts for an hour or 2.

There was also a chen tai chi class going on there at the same time; but the first time I went there was some huge drama going on between all the students and the instructor, so i never tried the class out.

The wing chun consisted of the beginnings of Siu Nim Tao with some chee sau.

The Thai kickboxing, in retrospect, wasn't really a ring-oriented program and mostly consisted of some elbows, some knees, and some high round kicks all done on a small, hard, boxing focus mitt.

The FMA i saw was a ton of stick work and it looked consistant with the FMA my best friend exposed me to back in high school.

I went there looking for northern or southern long fist kung fu, so at the time it really wasn't what I was looking for. According to the sifu they had some routines but they weren't really the focus of the proram.
I didn't see any Omei.

This post isn't meant to insult anybody or put down this school in anyway; i am just trying to share my experiences.

The fact that they have a new name and a new location makes me think that they've improved their facilities and probably changed their program since the time i was there.

Jhapa
12-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
uh, my guess is its not all "omei" there MK. Some schools, I know this is complicated but try to keep up, some schools teach more then one style or family of martial arts.

Hey Jhapa, you need to decide what your goals are first, are you looking for real solid fighting skills? Self Defense? Do you want to learn all ranges or do you want to wear pajamas and dance around like several animals?

well i guess i want to be well rounded in martial arts, but would like to stick to traditional kung fu for now. i would like to study both north and south shaolin kung fu. in few years i'll be moving to hawaii and there is an hung gar school that looks interesting to me.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
What other ma background do you have?

i used to take tkd for few years when i was younger when i used to live in korea.

omarthefish
12-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Emei is just as traditional as Shaolin. But really:

Originally posted by Meat Shake
http://sa_combatshuaichiao.tripod.com/

Give them a call.

Water Dragon
12-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by omarthefish
Emei is just as traditional as Shaolin. But really:

Omar is correct. I can personally vouch for Kirk's skill. He's also one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. The man has no ego which is rare in CMA.

omarthefish
12-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Maybe "t3h correct" was about Emei. But just to be sure, credit where credit is due:

MeatShake posted it first. ;)

Jhapa
01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
Okay as far as the Omei school goes, I actually went there for a bit when it was called Dragon martial arts.

it is still called Dragon Martial Arts. and they are located on Vance Jackson by I10.

Reggie1
01-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm currently a student at Jeff Hughes' school, so let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

But I don't blame you if you don't want to make the drive to Austin for classes. That's a hell of a drive to make if you are doing it multiple times/week.

Pork Chop
01-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Reggie1

Hey, are thomas, guy, martin, and nicole still there?
Does Snoop still drop by occasionally?
If so, tell 'em eric says "hi" (tho they'd probly remember me by last name hehe).

Reggie1
01-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Thomas + Nicole are--both are instructors now.

I don't know Guy, Martin, or Snoop, but that doesn't meant they aren't. There are a lot of people around, and I'm TERRIBLE w/ names. Especially since I haven't been around too long (3 months) and we all talk to each other mostly using last names.

Pork Chop
01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Not that it's important, but I figured I'd at least give it a shot.
Guy is as in the Guy Forsythe Band.
Martin has tattoes; kinda looks like one of the shadows doing a 2 man form with sifu Hughes in the way of the mantis vid.
Snoop is just Snoop; an old head, looks like the last guy on the left, standing, in the picture with Kung Fu Joe at the staff seminar (with all the staffs laid out on the ground).

Snoop was probly my best friend down there and Guy was always real nice to me. Guy has a friend named "eric" so that's who they'll probably think of if ya mention me. hehe

Let's see... I knew Thomas before he had hair and I was there the first day Nicole showed up. Martin and I showed up on the same day. That's no claim to seniority or skill though coz I would only be there for less than 6 months, leave town for 6 months, and then come back to start over.

Curious what it's like these days, looks like a lot more people.
Wonder if they have the entrance exam, or the levels.

Good luck with it, hope you stay there and enjoy it.
If yah see Sifu Fogg, give 'im a pack of Cambridge 100s and say it was my idea, "for old time's sake". :cool:

Reggie1
01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Guy is as in the Guy Forsythe Band.

Go figure. I used to go see them a long time ago. Well, relatively speaking. Like 8-10 years ago.

Curious what it's like these days, looks like a lot more people. Wonder if they have the entrance exam, or the levels.

From what I'm told, we've lightened up quite a bit. But some days sifu Hughes still goes "old school" on us, drops us in a horse stance, and then goes into his office for 15 minutes or so. <exaggeration, but it sure feels like 15 minutes>

I don't think there's any entrance exam. You have to 'qualify' to join the school, but it's not that hard. As far as levels, we've moved into the colored sash ranking.

Jhapa
01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Reggie1
You have to 'qualify' to join the school, but it's not that hard.

elaborate please

BIGtiny
01-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by BMore Banga

Curious what it's like these days, looks like a lot more people.
Wonder if they have the entrance exam, or the levels.

Good luck with it, hope you stay there and enjoy it.
If yah see Sifu Fogg, give 'im a pack of Cambridge 100s and say it was my idea, "for old time's sake". :cool:

Hey guys,

I was just in ATX over the holidays. I have studied with Sifu Hughes for two years now. Thomas is well, Guy is well, didn't see Snoop, but I know he's still around as well. I can give you Snoops email if you want it (hit me with a PM). Our KungFu family has definitely grown, but most of the old Sihing's are still around and training heartily. We have added sashes for the lower levels, but there is still the "old school" levels to reach for once you have passed your first test (black sash, as it were). I currently reside in Fl. and am trying to continue my training on my own, while I wait for my time to come to return to the school.

cheers
Bt

CaptinPickAxe
01-08-2005, 12:08 AM
You need to link up with Kirk. He'll beat you into the "well rounded martial artist" you want to be.

Listen to the majority. We were all Kirk's students at one time.

iblis73
01-08-2005, 05:30 PM
do a search on san antonio martial arts under yahoo groups......new group that can help out called alamo city martial arts......lotsa good info and links.

Reggie1
01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Jhapa
elaborate please

Sorry, I wasn't around a computer all weekend. When you join, you start out w/ only the 'Basic' membership. You can only come 2x / week for 30 min. a day. Then, if you're doing a good job, you will be invited to join the masters' group. If you accept, you can start coming to all of the classes.