PDA

View Full Version : Mantis in/around Winter Park Florida

Baji Brad
12-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey, does anyone here know of a good mantis(or other CMA) schools in this area? Just figured I'd ask here, since there seems to be good Florida representation on this board :D

18elders
12-30-2004, 12:17 PM
There is a pong lai school in lakeland, a little drive but not too bad(we have a guy who drives from gainesville to train with us).

contact shrfu mike at: 813-719-9892

SaMantis
12-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Also, Wah Lum. Several schools in the central Fla. area.

Check my reply on the main board, too.

Hua Lin Laoshi
12-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Central Florida has quite a bit of MA these days. In fact the whole state seems saturated.

Email me at hualinmantis@yahoo.com, let me know your interest (or friend's) and I'll give you the lowdown on what's available around here.

yu shan
12-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Hua Lin is right about Florida, lots to choose from. George Kee is in this area right? Sorry 18 Elders, your pushing it asking a competent person to drive from North Orlando (kind of) to Plant City... that is brutal!

18elders
12-31-2004, 06:25 AM
nothing compared to driving from gainesville!!!!
He had trained in other systems, that is why he makes the drive because it is worth the drive to learn good kung fu instead of convenience not to get what you want.

yu shan
12-31-2004, 10:08 AM
All depends on what Baji is looking for! Not everyone is at your level 18 or probably even wanting to be. I think some folks just want a good workout. Remember ALL the trips we made to O`town to train? I understand why Gainesville dude travels, we have something in common there! `Cept I have to take airplane rides. You do what you have to do, still depends on how serious Baji is.

sayloc
12-31-2004, 10:33 AM
yushan

You have to take airplane rides to learn also? You sound like me.

When you get to the place that you train do you ever look at the other "advanced" level guys that train with you and wonder if they would have the dedication you do? I bet in many cses the answer would be no.

Sounds like you are an experienced instuctor. You know people are in it for thier own reasons.

Baji Brad
12-31-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys! I live in Ohio right now, but I'm looking at going to school in Winter Park... I just wanted to know if there was any decent kungfu in the area. I have no idea how heavy my school workload would be, or how far I'd be able to travel... The closer, the better, but if there's nothing of reasonable quality right there in the city I would defenitely be willing to travel for a high enough quality place(hard to say how often though, not knowing how heavy my workload will be). Just figured I'd ask, because I don't want to be stranded in an area without any decent kungfu :D If there was no kungfu, I'd just have had to look for a different school ;)

yu shan
12-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Trust me, good kung fu close by. Bust Hua Lin an email, he knows the area well.

shang wu
12-31-2004, 06:17 PM
All sorts of good things in central Fl, if your if you have a heavy load of school, you are welcome to drop by for work shops and weekend classes at Shang wu farms, about 45 min from Disney also in plant city. Makes a nice get way and the lots of different things will be going on.

yu shan
12-31-2004, 09:57 PM
sayloc

The men I call KF brothers are dedicated. They are in ways much better than me. But, they would not travel like I do to pursue this passion. I learned along time ago, sometimes in our kung fu life you have to sacrifice. Some b*tch about having to drive across town. If you have a source of information that you desire, do what you have to do. I will say this, I have spent thousands of dollars over the years striving to learn, and will continue to do so.

Baji, you have loads of opportunity, good luck!

Three Harmonies
01-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Yu Shan
If no one else understands, I do bro! Both of my teachers live hundreds, one thousands, of miles away. But it is worth it everytime!
Jake

yu shan
01-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Three Harmonies

I know you understand, and it is well worth the investment isn`t it bro! I`m looking forward to Hu Laoshi`s visit to the US in April... this man deserves recognition. I will not miss out.

isol8d
01-02-2005, 01:24 PM
I believe Tom Turcotte teaches in Winter Park. Not too far from Rollins College, which is where I'll assume you're looking into.....

He's a good teacher from what I hear.....

Joe Mantis
01-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Baji,

Come up to Lake Mary. Just a bit north of Winter Park, not far at all. Our Facility is called Fitkix. Drop me a line at 407-330-1141

Drop me a Pm for more info.

Thanks Yu Shan...
for giving me props on this thread
Just because I'm quiet on the board doesn't mean that we don't train...... I'll talk to you soon.
Damo

yu shan
01-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Sorry man, I understand your sarcasm, my fault! Guess I wasnt thinking. Baji Brad would benefit well to hook up with you. Just to let you know, I caught sh*t from 18 Elders and others about not promoting an insane drive to Plant City or Tampa. Damo, I hope you are well, call me sometime.

18elders
01-13-2005, 06:08 AM
its only insane if your not learning anything(kind of like the trip you made every weekend to a certain place in orlando!!!!!)

Master Shr would ride his little moped for hours to go train with his teachers. Was that insane or do you appreciatie his commitment in learning real mantis?

yu shan
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Understood! Yes during that Shifu-less time period, I had to take weekend trips to Orlando and continue my studies. I did pick up some tid-bits here and there, mostly just ignored though.

Hmm, driving a skooter thru the beautiful mountains of Taiwan or driving east and west on I- 4. I know what you are getting at! Must I remind you, that I have to take airplanes to study with my Shifu! And it is well worth the effort. Just expensive!

Also, all depends on this Baji Brad`s schedule... I would recommend he make a weekend trip to Tampa or Plant City.

yu shan
01-14-2005, 11:15 PM
This Baji character must not be too interested... last time he payed any attention to his thread was December 31. Check the yellow pages bud!

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-15-2005, 07:25 AM
He sent me an email. I gave him some info and told him to let me know when he get's here and I'll show him what's around.

The MA landscape has been changing a little around here lately. I need to get back up to speed.

yu shan
01-15-2005, 05:13 PM
That`s cool, BajiBrad will be in good hands. I just dont like it when dudes start their little thread, and do not come back to it.

Can you tell us about the changes in Orlando? I`m just curious. And how is your Bengbu coming along?

Brad
01-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Sorry guys, I had login problems. S#it happens. Finally got a new password for my old name... strange though, because I got the Baji Brad screen name because the old one was having problems ;) Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to take a look at some places as soon as I manage to scrape together enough $$$ to get down there.

yu shan
01-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Brad

Yea, Sh*t happens doesnt it! ;) You will have plenty to choose from in central Florida. Good luck!

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-17-2005, 07:23 AM
I've noticed a few school relocations, mostly local to me, and some closures. White Dragon (Pai Lum) moved. Shao-Lin Do school closed their location and moved into a gym.

Wu style Taiji and Xingyi classes in the downtown parking garage are on hold. Don't know for how long.

Extreme Harmony on University Blvd. (Troy and Tai Chi Bob, don't remember the other guy's name) is closing soon. They will each continue teaching but at separate locations.

Li Kwai Shaolin Association (http://www.shaolinassociation.com/) moved into a bigger suite in the same shopping center.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet since I can't teach Wah Lum in my area (too close to another WL school). Travelling 40 miles one way to teach class wasn't all that fun.

BTW, I haven't pinned down a source for Bung Bo yet but I'm working on it. I'd really like to make a personal comparison to Big Mantis so I can better relate Wah Lum mantis to other branches. I've been working on that with individual techniques. A whole set would be very interesting.