PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about IronFist's squat

IronFist
12-30-2004, 05:50 PM
My "sticking point" seems to be about 1/3 of the way up, but above parallel. Is this normal? Any ways to correct it, or can anyone suggest any weakpoint training? What about doing partial squats going just from the bottom to 1/2 way up and back down? It's very obvious when you watch my 315lb (142.9 kg) squat vid cuz you'll see my pause there on the way up.

I would think that the worst leverage would be at the bottom of the squat, but I guess not. What is happening at 1/3 of the way up? Is the load transferring from hamstrings to quads or something? Kind of like how in bench press you get that one sticking point in the middle where most people seem to fail.

I'm trying to get someone to host the video. But it was filmed sideways so when it plays in WMPlayer, it plays rotated 90 degrees to the side. Does anyone have any video editing software where they could fix this?

Thanks.

Pork Chop
12-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I think the quad-ham transition is EXACTLY what's going on.
I have a brick wall in the squat too, probably in the same place- when I hit it, i hit it hard going down or coming up.
I think it explains why so many (myself included) have to fight the urge to bend over too much going in and out of that point.
Only advice I can think of is stick your bootie out more, but keep the arch in your back so you don't end up in a good morning.
I'm pretty sure my balance & foot issues are affecting my structure and exaggerating my sticking point.

No video editing software here, sorry.

IronFist
12-30-2004, 06:58 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think that's right. I first assumed that it was the quad/back transition, but it seems like going all the way down in squats brings in the hamstrings at the bottom so I think it's hamstring/quad.

It's funny how the hamstrings do two things; they curl the leg up, like when you bring your foot up to your butt, but they also help extend your back. Normally one muscle is contracting and the antagonist is relaxing, but this is not the case with your quads and hamstrings when you stand up (even from a chair). You would think that standing up is extending the leg against a resisting force so it would be all quad, but it's not; the hamstrings fire, too. There's a name for this phenemenon, it's like the something paradox, but I can't remember what it's called. Anyone?

Toby
12-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
I think the quad-ham transition is EXACTLY what's going on.

Originally posted by BMore Banga
Only advice I can think of is stick your bootie out more
Powerlifting style, Iron ;). Much easier.

Samurai Jack
12-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Does this only happen toward the end of your set when your muscles are fatigued? If so I'd bet it's fatigue in your hips and hammies, especially since your doing full squats. I know it goes against all of your full squat instincts, but you might try partial rep stiff-legged deadlifts at the top 1/2 of your range in order to strengthen that hip/hamstring action. You don't need the full range, because you're not trying to emphasize the lower back.

Pork Chop
12-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
You would think that standing up is extending the leg against a resisting force so it would be all quad, but it's not; the hamstrings fire, too. There's a name for this phenemenon, it's like the something paradox, but I can't remember what it's called. Anyone?

Not tryin to side track you but don't forget the muscles around the hips themselves.
At the bottom of the motion you have the glutes kicking in in addition to the hams.
Also, not to be forgotton are the abductors, adductors, and the parts of the quad and hip that are involved in raising the leg.

What i'm trying to say is that it's not as simple as the elbow joint with the bicep and tricep, more like the different angles of the deltoid- probably even more complex.

Going to stiff legged deadlifts- I'm pretty sure I can do at least as much stiff legged as I can anything else (ie squat or orthodox deads). I had to quit coz it was encouraging bad form on my pickups for san shou. Of course, this may go back to my balance/feet issues as well.

IronFist
12-31-2004, 01:55 AM
I know there's more to it, I just got sidetracked talking about that standing-up-quad-hamstring-paradox thing.