PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut in Austin, TX

yutyeesam
12-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, do you know if there are any Choy Lay/Li/Lee/Lei Fut schools in Austin, Texas?

I tried doing a google search and kept getting very ambiguous results, that basically resulted in people posting about CLF on MA forums from Austin....but I saw no school, specifically.

thanks,

GreyMystik
01-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't know of any CLF in the Austin area.

YuanZhideDiZhen
01-31-2005, 09:36 PM
try a goju/ shodokan route. similar principle.

anton
01-31-2005, 10:03 PM
I may be mistaken but i think yatyeesam is a long-time clf player

YuanZhideDiZhen
01-31-2005, 10:12 PM
austin *texas* or austin Australia?

sean_stonehart
02-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by YuanZhideDiZhen
try a goju/ shodokan route. similar principle.

How do you get that as a similar principle of CLF?:confused:

anton
02-02-2005, 12:10 AM
austin *texas* or austin Australia?

I believe YYS was referring to Texas... I didn't even know there was an Austin in Australia.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
elsewhere i saw posted that goju has shotokan as a subschool. do you disagree on the similarity between goju and clf?
in my edjucation clf is a principle applied to forms and techniques and not a style per se. Hung fot is a style (with three sub schools), Wah Lum is a style, Tarrn Lang is a style, Hung Gar is a style (with seven sub schools), Li Ling Pi is a style.

but they all do clf.

sorry bout the confusion on which austin.
is the guy you're talking about from the San Antonio area previously or does he have a student there? 'cause i know there's clf in san antonio, and i know there's goju/shodokan in austin and elsewhere west of huston/d-fw. but i didn't know your named person was there, too. does he have an informal school at some other business he runs or is it a bread-and-butter school?

sean_stonehart
02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Choy Lee Fut is a stand alone style. It's not a principle...

For more information... try

www.hungsingatl.com

for more info

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Ah! you're wah lum!

sean_stonehart
02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
No... I don't practice Wah Lum Tam Tui Tang Lang...

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Interesting concept about CLF being a set of principles but completely incorrect. It could be argued that Tang Lang is a set of principles that could be applied to forms but I doubt you would convince anyone.

Where did you get that impression? Funny that you should mention Wah Lum. BTW, Wah Lum is not CLF although there is a southern influence in the sets. It did, afterall, come out of Guangdong.

anton
02-04-2005, 01:33 AM
CLF is a stand alone system it has at least three sub-branches that I know of (chan, hung sing, and buk sing). It has its own unique forms/sets and weapons.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-04-2005, 10:55 AM
from the guy who broke iyip mann's leg and nearly killed chan pui in the big fight.

from Lee Fang Fung.

from Tai Yim.

From Goju teachers.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Anton:

"chan" is hung gar.

the second one is hung fot.

the third one, which wah lum is the daughter of is tarrn lang, the clf principle of iyip.

the principle upon which wah lum was founded was derived durring the big fight: it was a single finger claw similar to hung gar's left finger pinched under the thumb for more support in deeper penetration attacks combined with the strikes of wing chun. iyip discovered it and tried to teach it to chan durring the fight.

sean_stonehart
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
What are you rambling on about?

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-04-2005, 11:08 AM
sean:
my apologies, then. it's just that most people who see clf as a style come from chan's schools. they're quite adamant that they are the only practicioners of clf.

if this were so why would tai yim claim hung fot is choy lay fut?

why would hung gar be considered the first style to use the whipping principle?

the ba gua of ttarrn lang is clf in application. doesn't look so in the slowed down streaming videos i've seen but when you see it done it sure looks cantonese.

sean_stonehart
02-04-2005, 11:18 AM
First thing's first... who's Chan you're talking about?

bigdoing
02-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I know a boxer who uses kendo when he is stick fighting.

Also, one time I used a rock climbing technique to unleash a wicked slap across the face of a midget tosser.

How, you ask? Because the technique I used was a priciple from the Fa Laun Gong post heaven chi sexual circulation power technique

All Kung fu comes from this.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Chan Pui nearly killed in a big fight ??????

I seriously doubt that but I'll ask him. I'm sure he would have mentioned something like that.

So when and where was this big fight? It wasn't the village fight in China was it? He told that story but never claimed to be a participant. I think he was real young at the time.

Mo Lung
02-04-2005, 05:15 PM
sean:
my apologies, then. it's just that most people who see clf as a style come from chan's schools. they're quite adamant that they are the only practicioners of clf.

if this were so why would tai yim claim hung fot is choy lay fut?

why would hung gar be considered the first style to use the whipping principle?

the ba gua of ttarrn lang is clf in application. doesn't look so in the slowed down streaming videos i've seen but when you see it done it sure looks cantonese. Not sure where you get your information, but it's all very wrong.

CLF is a system formulated by Chan Heung from the teaching of his uncle (where the Hung Kuen flavour comes from), Lee Yau San and Choy Fook (where the Shaolin principles come from).

Chan Family, Hung Sing and Buk Sing, while they may have certain stylistic differences, all practice the style of Choy Lee Fut and all will agree that it is a style in it's own right and not simply a set of principles.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
Interesting concept about CLF being a set of principles but completely incorrect.
Where did you get that impression? Funny that you should mention Wah Lum. BTW, Wah Lum is not CLF although there is a southern influence in the sets. It did, afterall, come out of Guangdong.

i agree wah lum is not clf but most of the opposition i have encountered about the nature of clf and the styles that prctice it comes from wah lum trained or jason lau trained students.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
Chan Pui nearly killed in a big fight ??????

I seriously doubt that but I'll ask him. I'm sure he would have mentioned something like that.

So when and where was this big fight? It wasn't the village fight in China was it? He told that story but never claimed to be a participant. I think he was real young at the time.

i don't know it as a village fight so much as an open challenge.

i don't think he would've mentioned that he lost. these days he explains it as a draw. which, from a certain pov, is correct.

on what backward palnet were you edjucated about clf being it's own style?

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mo Lung

Chan Family, Hung Sing and Buk Sing, while they may have certain stylistic differences, all practice the style of Choy Lee Fut and all will agree that it is a style in it's own right and not simply a set of principles.

i disagree with you on the nature of the style vs. principle arguements but i think after we spend lots of memory storing out hash we'll determine its just semantics.

if you spend some time with older folks who weren't brought up on bread and butter martial arts you'll probably have a different perspective, too. edjucation changes everybody except the adamant nonlearners.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by sean_stonehart
What are you rambling on about?

ignorance. differing pov's. rigidity against non-structured agreement. chinese as opposed to japanese mindsets i guess.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-06-2005, 12:51 PM
it would seem that this site is editied by a chan supporter because a post I made on friday concerning the sources of my education is no longer on the board....

seems his opposition to Li Ling Pi , Kwong Chi CHung and Lee Fang Fung is still quite adamant.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by anton
CLF is a stand alone system it has at least three sub-branches that I know of (chan, hung sing, and buk sing). It has its own unique forms/sets and weapons.

this is classic wah lum dogma. did you get it from his book?

JAZA
02-06-2005, 01:44 PM
YuanZhideDiZhen,

You are clearly uneducated and don't know anything about CLF or Wah lum.

You are trashing the names of Chan Pui and Yip Man. Why donīt you say the name of the mighty guy?.

CHAZ
02-06-2005, 04:56 PM
LOL,

CLF not a style of its own, one of the funniest things Ive heard in a long time. Wake up and smell the coffee:D

Mo Lung
02-06-2005, 05:18 PM
this is classic wah lum dogma. did you get it from his book? Where do you get your opinion from? What's the evidence to back up your point of view?

sean_stonehart
02-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok... I was gonna play with you to show your ignorance, but by **** you've stepped up to the plate & handled that by yourself... :rolleyes:

Mo Lung... please continue as you see fit... this doofus is probably a jaded ex-Wah Lum student that's out to pick bones.

Oh I'd watch throwing names around dude... some people really don't take kindly to being bandied about in conversations & discussions which don't involve them.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-07-2005, 06:41 AM
YuanZhideDiZhen
"in my edjucation clf is a principle applied to forms and techniques and not a style per se."

I think someone has sold you a bill of goods. You've been hoodwinked. Your info goes against the known knowledge of many CLF masters and students.

Wah Lum does not practice CLF principles. Master Chan Pui has never spoke of any challenge either lost, won or a draw and I've never heard of any rumors of such.

I suggest you offer up some evidence of your claims or go back to your sources and ask why they lied to you. Seriously, you're way out there dude.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I have it on good authority that Chinese Kung Fu is actually a Dancing Art, not a Martial Art.

What happened is that one day Damo jumped into a Shaolin mosh pit to bust a few dance moves and a couple of monks were injured. Through word of mouth the story changed and the Shaolin monks became known as fierce fighters when in fact they were fierce dancers.

One time a young monk gave Damo a black eye but when confronted about the incident Damo replied "No he didn't, I bumped my head on the front door of the Temple!".

All in fun dude, I couldn't resist. :D

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Aside from rhetoric, what arts do you girls practice?

Why don't you find some other clf instructors that *KNOW* why Iyip's practice went into decline and why chan went from Iyip's clf principle foundation to wingchun principle foundation?

traditional chinese know about this. if you weren't trained by someone who knows then you simply weren't trained well or don't know a thing about chinese rivalries. Chan does btw claim title to clf as "gm" even though his system is wc based. this also is because of something you need to research thuroughly before responding to or you will prove yourself a buffoon.

perhaps you don't interact with cma's at all and only hope to learn something by being stubborn. some students try that but it doesn't work except on babysitters. so go research.

sean_stonehart
02-10-2005, 05:38 AM
**** your stupid...

I'm gonna type this s-l-o-w-l-y so all the words will sink in at once. If I could draw pictures to help, I would.

Choy Lee Fut is not a principle. It's a style.

Wah Lum Mantis is not a principle. It's a style.

Wing Chun has nothing to do with either.

All those three have in common is that they're all 3 from Southern China, from the same region of Southern China & people from all 3 have probably fought each either at one time or another.

You really need to seek professional help for that paint sniffing problem of yours. It's causing you to hallucinate.

As far as what I practice, read the bio... read my other posts... read the Dec/Jan issue of Kung Fu Magazing (shameless plug).

Otherwise... shut the **** up. You're an oxygen thief stealing from the rest of us.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-10-2005, 06:55 AM
YuanZhideDiZhen
Aside from rhetoric, I train in Wah Lum Kung Fu. My Sifu is Master Chan Pui. But what do I know.

So, who is your teacher?

Ben Gash
02-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not just assume you're a troll. Choy Li fut is a fully developed system with forms, weapons and dummies, entirely separate from any other style. I've studied CLF for a decade now, and have studied chan, Jeong Hung Sing and Bak Sing, and none bear any relation to Wah Lum (which is younger anyway), wing chun or Hung Fut (which is again younger).
Anyone who broke Yip Man's leg is either dead or beat up an old man :rolleyes:
Sean, Wing Chun is from Fujian, not Guandong.

sean_stonehart
02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Ben... I'm aware.