PDA

View Full Version : How many...

SifuAbel
01-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Is there a site that estimates how many people do martial arts in the US and in the world in total?

David Jamieson
01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
as far as I know, It's me, you and a couple of other guys here. The rest are just poseurs. :p

SifuAbel
01-02-2005, 07:16 PM
LOL!

Oso
01-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I'd been told that NAPMA had a figure of something like 4% of the population was training at any given time.

but, I never saw that figure for myself.

4 out of 100 seems like a lot.

rogue
01-02-2005, 07:28 PM
NAPMA is also counting cardio kickbox, Tae Bo and Monkey Kung Fu.

Just kidding Abel, I have the upmost respect for Paulie Zink!:D

Just kidding about that too Abel. I had my A-Hole Flakes this morning.:D :D :D :D :D

FngSaiYuk
01-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Weird... my post from another thread got moved to this one....

cerebus
01-02-2005, 09:40 PM
"A-hole Flakes"???

Eeeeeeww!! (Why do we not have a "Calvin & Hobbes" style "Eeeww Face" in the smileys? :confused: ).

SifuAbel
01-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Oso
I'd been told that NAPMA had a figure of something like 4% of the population was training at any given time.

but, I never saw that figure for myself.

4 out of 100 seems like a lot.

Thats around 10 million people, may not be too far off.

Mr Punch
01-03-2005, 04:33 AM
I read somewhere that there are 8 million practitioners of wing chun in the world... now if I could just remember where I read it...

I'd be pretty interested in finding out the results in the UK, Japan and worldwide too.

David Jamieson
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I think it would actually be very hard to pin a number on how many people activelly practice or train in a martial art.

simply because sooooooo many people drop out before their first year is finished!

every place I trained in a dojo or kwoon atmosphere, teh ratio of dropouts was 20x or more higher than the amount of people who stayed for 3, 5 or more years.

It didn't even matter if the instructor was A1 or the facilities were gleaming and repleat!

People find martial arts hard to do and hard to commit to simply put and so, there aren't really that many people who actually diligently train in them.

Just an observation pulled from personal experience.

SifuAbel
01-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Yes, but the flow in sometimes matches the flow out in some schools.

I guess it would have to be a statistic based on the number of schools in total times an average number of students.

So how many schools are in the US?