PDA

View Full Version : Sun Lutang's Shaolin

taichi4eva
01-03-2005, 06:57 AM
I was reading a book on Sun Lutang's Taijiquan at Borders the other day, and it said in his early days, he had learned Shaolin:

1. Tantui
2. 64 free fighting method
3. Qinna
4. Qinggong

What exactly are the 64 free fighting method and qinggong? Is qinggong "the art of lightness"? Is the 64 free fighting method just individual techniques or is it a linking form (sorta like lian huan quan)?

Does anyone know if he practiced any Shaolin weapon forms? I know he was an internal martial artist, but did he practice staff or plum flower saber, etc.

ngokfei
01-12-2005, 02:29 PM
you may want to post this question on

www.emptyflower.com

in its forum section

they are mostly xingyi, taichi and bagua stylists there.

GeneChing
01-12-2005, 05:12 PM
...try OUR internal forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=30&forumid=12) and keep it in family. However, Sun Lutang crosses over into BSL lineage, so some one here might have something to offer too. Let's watch and see...

NorthernShaolin
01-15-2005, 09:05 PM
In addition to what was stated above in what Sun Lu Tang learn, his first teacher taught him CMA (external style) at the age of 10 or 11 years old. His first teacher surname was Wu. It is recorded that he first learn Tan T'ui then went on to learn a rare northern style called Hong Quan Men. This is not to be confused with the popular nortyhern Hung Style as in Red style nor is it to be confused with southern Hung Gar style. This rare northern style has its roots to Shaolin and was popular in Hepei Provence in the late 1800's and for some reason is very rare to find anyone today who knows it. (By the way it is said that Yim Shan Wu learned this rare northern style at a very early age, before he learned Lui Ho Chuan and BSL. Our South American BSL brothers are confused and believe YSW learned Hung Gar of which is not true).

Later Sun learned Ba Jia Quan and all the 18 weapons. Also he was skilled in hidden weapons and, of all things, the sling shot that hots iron balls. The sling shot was very popular weapon at the turn of the century as many masters carried it and were very good shooters. (For all you BSL'ers, Kuo Yu Chang also was skilled with the sling shot too.)

taichi4eva
01-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Um...about the slingshot...are you serious? Like the one that Bart Simpson used? Or are you talking about like a sling used by Roman gladiators?

NorthernShaolin
01-18-2005, 11:58 AM
The Chinese slingshots was a collapsible weapon that can be placed in one's pocket. There are pictures of this weapon in the old Chinese texts.

I do not know what Bart S. or the Romans used.

SaekSan
01-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes, he is serious and it's the "Bart Simpson" type too! :)

The movie "Magic Braid" has a character in it that is a master of the slingshot (with the metal balls).

It's definately a skill, interesting to know that KYC had this skill.

Thank you NS!

:)

Brad
01-18-2005, 11:42 PM
I do not know what Bart S. or the Romans used.
The Bart S. slingshot would be shaped like a Y with an elastic thing stretched across the top. I think the old Romans slingshot he's talking about would have been like a sling, where you put a projectile in it and whip it through the air :)

Haha, that's pretty cool that it's like the Bart Simpson variety ;)

SimonM
01-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Don't underrate the B.S. style slingshot. You can shoot a bee bee straight through a mason jar if you have one of the ones that are designed to work propperly (rather than one made by a naughty kid). Seriously, they keep the ammo for the real slingshots locked up at Walmart and Canadian Tire along with the bullets. They are often used for hunting rodents (rabbits, squirrels) and other small animals.