PDA

View Full Version : PM in Long Island

Oso
01-03-2005, 06:50 PM
I have a student who thinks he's gonna be moving in May of this year to Long Island.

Is there anyone there teaching PM?

TIA

yu shan
01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Oso

Do you know where on LI?

MonkeyBoy
01-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Long Island is over 80 miles long, do you know where, North or South Shore, Brooklyn, Queens or Nassau/Suffolk?

The only authentic Northern Mantis I know is in Queens there's: Master Wang Ren Ang, Hao Tai Chi Mei Hua Tang Lang

http://www.geocities.com/dachengdao/

Excellent people, trained by Hao Bin's only son, same family as Sun De Long and Sun De Yao.

There's a Southern Mantis Sifu Michael Manganiello, Jook Lum, he's under Milton Chin but his school teaches Hung Ga and Wing Chun publically:

http://www.lingnamsiulum.com/index.htm

Way out East in Holbrook there's a Lama Pai/ Choy Le Fuht sifu, disciple of Chan Tai San who used to list Mantis among styles taught but it's not listed on their newest version of their web site, may be worth a call if he's going to live in Suffolk county, Sifu Gus Kaparos can be found at:

http://www.greencloud.com/index.html

There is also a 7 Star Sifu, Raoul Ortiz. I've seen his students win well at Sigung Frank Yee's tournaments but know nothing of the man himself, can't say good or bad. It used to be:

http://www.ortizacademy.com/index.html

Long Islands public transport is geared to provide Manhattan with millions of commuters every day and if you're student is going to be living anywhere near the Long Island Rail Road he should also consider Chinatown. Many, including myself, found training there can be superior.

Long Island Kung Fu is mostly Southern Fists and Tai Chi.

Good luck just the same.

Oso
01-03-2005, 09:58 PM
yu shan: not yet, I asked him to tell me that so I could help him out.

MonkeyBoy: thanks for all the suggestions. A good teacher is more important than style so we'll be looking to get him hooked up the best way.

He's just a teenager, been with me for a bit over two years and could be really, really good if he applied himself.

BeiTangLang
01-04-2005, 05:44 AM
I just downloaded ccc this morning as a test. try right clicking & "savins as" rather than just trying to plat the piece.

p.s.,..could not download "john sparring 1"

Oso
01-04-2005, 06:13 AM
I'll have to ask my website diva what's up.

Wolfen, if you can take large files by email, I'd be happy to email them to you.

Oso
01-04-2005, 06:16 AM
oh, I think Tainan Mantis actually uses Chuji Chuen instead of my ******* spelling of it. probably not much difference in what it means though.

it is 'basic level fist' from the Tien Shen Pai family. We do a 'pong lai'd' version of it.

namelessoutlaw
01-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Sifu Raul Ortiz has a school in Bethpage and also his senior student Sifu Guelfo Lopez has a school in Bethpage. Very good teacher and fighter. All around nice people.

:cool:

Oso
01-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Right, I knew he was up there somewhere.

What about Shifu Carl Albright?

Oso
01-05-2005, 06:47 PM
wolfen: ming yue is checking on the website problem tonight...I just found out I lost all those vids in a recent computer crash and was going to try and download them myself but couldn't. I let you know when it's fixed or just send em to you when i get them.

namelessoutlaw
01-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I can't remember were Sifu Albright school is. But here is his phone number to his school: (718) 219-3475. Hope this helps. :cool:

yu shan
01-06-2005, 11:17 AM
He is in Brooklyn if I`m not mistaken. Loki should know how to reach him.

Oso
01-06-2005, 11:22 AM
LOL, just shows how provincial I am...I don't know where any of those areas (burroughs?) of New York are in relation to each other.

I understand 'just across town' has a completely different connotation there. :)

Oso
01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
ok, he said he was in North Merrick. Close to Belmore & Roosevelt Park.

thanks.

loki
01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Sifu Ortiz' school is open at the moment. Also, his website is down. I could try and get his number from someone that I know sees him once in awhile but no guarantees there.

Getting to Sifu Albright's school from LI at night on the railroad is going to be a journey. Class ends between 10-10:30pm, he'd probably be getting back about 1-1:30am depending how far in. Wouldn't suggest that for a teenager.

I've worked up there and all I ever saw were the mall type TKD schhols with "KARATE/TAI CHI /KICKBOXING" signs.

Oso
01-13-2005, 08:23 PM
my student's mom's boyfriend's son in law ( and people make fun of southern relationships ) apparently trains at this school.

I am going to contact the sifu directly.

But, I was wondering if anyone knew him or had experience with his school.

seems ok to me just by looking at the website.

Ling Nam Siu Lum Kung Fu Academy
Sifu: Michael Manganiello
2570 Hempstead Turnpike
East Meadow, NY 11554
516-796-1008
http://www.lingnamsiulum.com