PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Bag Work and Weight Training Sessions

Vash
01-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Got a simple question I can never seem to get right for one reason or another:

what is the best way to schedule my bagwork and my weight training? I lift twice a week, and can never seem to have my 'work on a day I'm recovered. The deal is, aside from a little incompetence?

And why in the hell am I up so late?

Toby
01-05-2005, 02:23 AM
I only do a little bit of bagwork. 1000 punches on the double end bag and 1000 on the speedball per day. I superset with my weights. Each morning I go:

Jump rope 400 times
Warmup bench
100% bench
rest 5min
90% bench
100% squat or dl
1000 on the double end
90% squat or dl
100% pullups
make breakfast
100% pullups
Jump rope 500 times
Eat breakfast
1000 on the speedball

If I were doing heavy bag it might be a different story, but I doubt my shoulder would let me.

<edit>I only count every 2nd skip, so I'd miscounted my rope jumping by 1/2</edit>

Vash
01-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I used to do 12 3-minute rounds. I had to stop because of my shoulders (same reason I stopped benching).

I'm looking more to working just my basics and some forms techniques on it, not so much for time as I used to be.

IronFist
01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I wish I could do 12 3-minute rounds.

Can you lift one day and bag the next?

If not, lift first, then bag.

Don't bag first, you'll be too tired to lift.

I don't know how you divide up your lifting, but you could do:

Day 1: Lift legs, work punches on bag

Day 2: Lift upper body, work kicks on bag

or

Day 1: Lift legs, work kicks (cuz your legs are already tired)

Day 2: Lift upper body, work punches (cuz your arms/shoulders are already tired)

It's up to you.

Or

Lift

Bag

Lift

Bag

You get the idea.

Vash
01-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I do two, full-body workouts a week - Monday and Thursday.
I can probably get some bag time in one tuesday and friday.

IronFist
01-05-2005, 12:20 PM
^ Yes.

Vash
01-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Checking out my old bag work and weight lifting journals, I don't see anytime where I did weights on day 1, then bagwork on day two. Interesting.

I am a master of the obvious.

Toby
01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Vash
I used to do 12 3-minute rounds. I had to stop because of my shoulders (same reason I stopped benching).My bagwork takes 11min for the double end and 6min for the speedball, rounding down to the nearest minute. So I'm doing less than 1/2 your workload. I do each one in one go though. I'm concentrating on hand conditioning and GPP so I don't mess around too much except on the double ender - on that I do 800 then the last 200 is combos and messing around.

Vash
01-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Toby
My bagwork takes 11min for the double end and 6min for the speedball, rounding down to the nearest minute. So I'm doing less than 1/2 your workload. I do each one in one go though. I'm concentrating on hand conditioning and GPP so I don't mess around too much except on the double ender - on that I do 800 then the last 200 is combos and messing around.

It'd be nice if we had that kind of equipment; all we have is three 80 pounders. I figure, if I leave the school I'm with, I'll just buy one of those Hangable B.O.B.'s, a double-ender, and a speed bag.

I tend to focus on power generation in shuffles and single-steps. Unless I'm working conditioning, then it's just striking combo's I pull from the forms.

Samurai Jack
01-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Have you worked on one of those B.O.B.s Vash? They are so light and soft I can't imagine the benifit of working out with one of them. I had one for a couple of months and gave it away to somebody. Maybe if they ever develop a firmer, heavier one, I'll use it, but the only thing it was good for was scaring the crap out of me every time I stumbled upon it in the dark.

IronFist
01-05-2005, 09:57 PM
I agree, I wouldn't get a B.O.B.

Vash
01-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh, well. I guess I can stick with a heavy bag.

GuSpeed
01-06-2005, 10:57 PM
what size of speed bag do you use? THanks. I bought one before that was 9x6 and it was really slow. Is something wrong with me?

Toby
01-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by GuSpeed
what size of speed bag do you use?I use this one (http://www.jimbradley.com.au/asp/product.asp?PRODUCT_ID=1). It's pretty good.

Originally posted by GuSpeed
Is something wrong with me? Yes :D. Dunno. I do my 1000 punches in 6min, so that's 2.77777778 punches a second. That's plenty fast enough for me. I can do bursts of faster speeds, but I couldn't maintain that pace for the whole 6min.

BTW, I go:

punch
->
bounce
<-
bounce
->
bounce
<-
punch

ngokfei
01-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I guess it would depend on your recovery time.

Tend to do 2 days on 1 day off cycle.

On the heavy days.

light stretch
Calisthenics
Mass reps low weights overall body, doing the circuit
shadow box/kickbox
6 - 3 minute rounds
medium stretch
treadmill/stair etc. 15 mins
deep stretch.
rest period
target specific muscle group/body part - free weights

I try to do a heavy boxing work out then target the legs

lately trying to put together some now routines , getting bored

anyone try the pump class at golds. Step with barbells

Vash
01-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ngokfei

Wasn't there a time when Gold's Gym was hardcore?

ngokfei
01-10-2005, 07:11 PM
those days are over. Self discipline is the the original way.

Back in NYC there was this gym on 17th street that was open 24 - 7-365.

No showers, lockerrooms and barely a decent bathroom.

oh the good old days.

always got a seat ont he subway!!!!:D

Vash
01-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I'd imagine.

SevenStar
01-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
Have you worked on one of those B.O.B.s Vash? They are so light and soft I can't imagine the benifit of working out with one of them.

I like them, but not for power training - for the surfaces. the head of it is perfect for practicing hooks and uppercuts - heavy bags and uppercut bags IMO don't provide the same feel of hitting someone accurately. It's easy to uppercut the broad side of an uppercut bag. it's much to dot someone's chin. Naturally, sparring is the best way to get the feel of such things, but I like BOB for this as well, especially if nobody is available. they suck for power training - I kicked the stuffing out of the last one the gym had.

Maybe if they ever develop a firmer, heavier one, I'll use it, but the only thing it was good for was scaring the crap out of me every time I stumbled upon it in the dark.

:D

SevenStar
01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ngokfei

Is it called bodypump? if so, I've tried it. We have several classes at my job. light weights, very high reps, all set to music.