PDA

View Full Version : arthritis

HiddenShadow
01-05-2005, 11:23 AM
about 2 years ago i fractured my left ankle. A bunch of small bone pieces broke off and left a cavity in one of my ankle bones. I recieved orthoscopic sergery to remove the loose bone pieces. Now, for the past month or so, it has grown somewhat painfull and rather annyoing for whatever reason. Doing construction work and kung fu training probably wasnt the best thing for it, but ya do what ya gotta do I suppose. Either way, its catchin up with me at the early age of 20 and its really putting a burden on my KF training. Is there anything I can do to help relieve this annoyance and/or somewhat fix it? Im definatly not ready to stop going to class, but if this is only gonna get worse, I may have to eventually...which would really suck. Would Dit Da Jow or Accupuncture be a good idea ? Or just plain rest ? I ask of these "alternative" healing methods because Im not a big fan of dumping pills into my body. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

IronFist
01-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Can you get the hole filled with artificial bone or something? Don't they make a liquid that can fill in cracks and stuff and then harden and merge with the real bone?

HiddenShadow
01-05-2005, 02:19 PM
perhaps....Im having an MRI done next week to check if they got all the pieces of bone out during my sugery 2 years ago, or if something else chipped off. If there is still loose pieces, then I will more than likely have to go back under the knife. If I do, I could ask about filling in the cavity.

I would really like to avoid more surgery if possible because that will take me out of training for probably at least a month or 2 and driving my stick-shift car would become quite difficult.....though my main concern is my time off from KF class. I dont want to start loosing what I have and "getting soft" would be a big step backwards

HiddenShadow
01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
...so would a good Dit Da Jow be helpful if I dont need more surgury ? Ive never used the stuff before

Mr Punch
01-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by HiddenShadow
I would really like to avoid more surgery if possible because that will take me out of training for probably at least a month or 2 and driving my stick-shift car would become quite difficult.....though my main concern is my time off from KF class. I dont want to start loosing what I have and "getting soft" would be a big step backwards I can understand not wanting more surgery but with respect, if the choice between having a couple of months out of your training or leaving it and possibly enduring a lifetime of increasing pain, lack of flexibility and deterioration till you can't train at all is a choice at all... you're nuts!

Speaking as someone who has had two serious spinal injuries through training, and recurring knee problems mostly through training, has had no surgery and has a family history of arthritis... everyone's training days are numbered... don't make yours as low a number as mine's bound to be! :D

IronFist
01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
^ Holy crap, what happened to your spine?

bung bo
01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
REST, REST, REST!!! I recently had surgery to repair a broken bone in my wrist and had trained on it for 7 months before I knew it was broken. I probably wouldn't have had to had surgery if I had rested it in the beginning. Now I'm sitting here unemployed with a screw in my wrist and several months recovery time ahead of me. Seriously, time off won't kill you. Ask yourself If it is worth it. You are going to have to live with this for the rest of your life.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Take it from a grade-a numbskull to rest it before the pain becomes excrutiating.

Jow won't hurt it, but it won't totally heal it. GOOD LUCK on the road to recovery.

HiddenShadow
01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
thanks for the input guys. Im still awaiting my MRI results to find out for sure what the problem is. If I do need surgury, Im definatly going to have it, I just would rather not...perhaps I was unclear in my previous post. Im not trying to "avoid" surgery, I suppose I just hate the idea of being laid up for a while, and if I can do just fine without it....then all the better and less the hassle. If surgery is the only thing on the menu, then I have no choice and will certianly go through with it if its going to help...especially in the long run. We shall see....

I'll keep ya updated

bung bo
01-11-2005, 09:14 AM
HiddenShadow--
I didn't want have surgery either, but my doc told me that was the only option to fix the problem. This bone (scaffoid) gets such low blood supply that it it would only heal with help (surgery). After that, I was like, "Let's do this." So I see where you're coming from.

BTW, I like your sig.

Mr Punch
01-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
^ Holy crap, what happened to your spine? Well, I say serious, but I like a ****head I never went to the quack so I don't actually know, but...

First I had a slight back injury to my lower back in a bad breakfall in aiki... then I was drunkenly fighting with a big (6'3", 120 kg) kyokushin fighter mate on New Year 2000-2001, and I was kicking his ass ( :D really!) and he decided on American footbal tactics and landed on me on the concrete. Made it home (was really really hammered so didn't notice the extent of the pain - just that it hurt a lot), and then found I could only (literally) crawl to the toilet and back for a day and a half, and then could stand up again, but everything (walking, sitting, sleeping...) hurt seriously for about five days, and considerably for about four weeks.

It went again suddenly after some jerky move in wing chun in 2002: couldn't stand straight or walk properly for about 2 weeks.

Then last year, somebody put some neck crank on me in wrestling and something popped around the T6 area, and I couldn't move my head more than 45 degs left, right or down, at all to the back, nor my right arm higher than 45, or further forward than 45, or back... couldn't go to the quack, cos I'd just let my insurance lapse... this took two months off training, and I can still feel it burning now when I'm carrying bags, or working my boxing, wrestling or fu too hard...

Twat.