PDA

View Full Version : Does YJKYM really clamping?

yellowpikachu
01-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Travelliing toward the 21th century,
YJKYM is important because it is the core platform.

what is YJKYM?
What is it really do?
Does YJKYM really clamping? How? which part? why? how wide is this stance? is the wide subject to nature or fix due to some one's idea? any significant?......

and,
Long time a go, there is an article wrote by a reporter in China presenting with Grandmater Pan Nam's name (later turn out it is not GM Pan Nam's idea...etc) which goes into TCM to expalin the YJKYM, is that true or just theory beyond understanding or just myth of TCM? (same article talk about TanSau I think.) ?

why it is the way it is? what is its influence on knees, low body, spine, head, chest... breathing, mind... whole body?

Is there any not proper things need to be avoid?

Care to share your view?

Da_Moose
01-08-2005, 12:42 PM
what is YJKYM?
What is it really do?
Does YJKYM really clamping? How? which part? why? how wide is this stance? is the wide subject to nature or fix due to some one's idea? any significant?......

Yi Ji Kim Yueng Mah, as it was taught to me, means Two Adducting Energy Stance. It is designed to focus one's energy into their Daan Tien from the upper and lower body, as well as connect the upper and lower body together while maintaining the One Line. As for specifics of how it looks, ours is done thus:

Stand feet together and sink the legs down, lowering the center of gravity. From there, the left foot extends forward as far as possible while the right leg remains bent. The left leg then sweeps Left in a 1/4 circle as far as it can without shifting your weight. The right foot then slides over to the left, repeats the same sequence by first extending forward while the left leg stays in place with the knee bent. The right leg then sweeps right in a 1/4 circle, stopping outside the right shoulder. The body is centered between the feet, with each foot approximately 1-2 heel widths outside the shoulder, the knees on the same line as the shoulders. The feet are such that the toes point striahgt ahead, not turned in. The tailbone then tucks in to straighten the spine, and the body rests so that the shoulders are 1/2 way between the toes and heels, helping with centering. This stance is also designed to help our Saam Dim Yuht Sin alignment fall into place when practicing specific stationary drills, and trains us to maintain our center line and three reference points for moving drillls later on.

As for clamping, I'm not sure what you may mean, perhaps you're referring to trying to clamp the knees together?

As far as width of the stance, it is based on your indivudual body, so it has a common theme for all human beings, but is unique to everyone as well. A person who is 6'3" follows the same way to open their YJKYM that a person who is 5'1" does, but they also have unique stances tailored to their individual bodies.

Nick Forrer
01-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Da_Moose
Yi Ji Kim Yueng Mah, as it was taught to me.......The feet are such that the toes point striahgt ahead, not turned in.

If you stand in front of a wall and push it with both arms do you get knocked backwards or do you stay stationary.

Da_Moose
01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Ummmm, dude, not to be a wise guy, but I stay up, walls don't push back.........

Like wise when I'm pushed for structure testing by a living person in class, I stay put. It is very stable.

Nick Forrer
01-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Ummmm, dude, not to be a wise guy, but I stay up, walls don't push back.........

According to newtons 2nd law of motion for every force there is an equal and opposite force. When you push the wall it is your own force coming back at you, If you stand up with toes out and push the wall you wil be knocked backwards provided you push it with sufficient force.

Like wise when I'm pushed for structure testing by a living person in class, I stay put. It is very stable.

fair enough. Thats all im asking.

Kevin Bell
01-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Third law Nick and i agree with you fully FWIW.

Also the Pagoda dummies are perfect to carry out the example of pushing to test structure you gave until that is you spend fikkin hours shavin and planing down the supporting slats.

Second law:

Force = Mass x Acceleration

(A) F = M.a where mass M is large and the acceleration is small.

(B) F = m.A where mass is small and acceleration A is large.

(C) F = m.a where both mass and acceleration are moderate.

yellowpikachu
01-09-2005, 11:55 AM
if it is clamping then certain part become rigid and thus broken the holistic integration of the whole body.

If it is not clamping then the holistic integration of the whole body will not hold together.

Clamping or not clamping. that is the question.

hunt1
01-09-2005, 02:16 PM
If it is not clamping then the holistic integration of the whole body will not hold together.

Not so, it is not clamping in that clamping implies tension. Holistic integration does hold together in that it is based on the proper use and alignment of the joints of the body in such a way that the energy flows unimpeded from the ground up through the arm and or fingers and flows down the same way. Further what you are looking for is knee usage in the way the knee joint was intended to be used.

To put another way. usage should be based upon natural skeletal alignment not a false alignment depending upon muscles for its shape and structure.

yellowpikachu
01-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Hunt1,

Great!

Want to share more on your insight? I am sure lots of us will appreciate your effort and sharing.