PDA

View Full Version : SLT on one leg

fa_jing
10-01-2001, 10:17 PM
YEN_HOI - Sorry to steal your topic. I think maybe this should be addressed seperately. What is the proper form to perform SLT on one leg? I find it a great exercise, but I've pretty much made up the way I do it. How do you perform the opening sequence to get into the stance? I use the "peng tui" lifted knee position that we use for re-directing kicks. My base foot is maybe 60 degrees away from the forward direction. I have also seen a picture of a WC player who was practicing on one leg with his lifted foot in the oblique position, as if in preparation for a stomp kick. Side note - I heard a rumor once that Yip Man used to practice the SLT form on one leg, and that he took up to 45 minutes to complete!
Ouch. :rolleyes:

Jeff Brown
10-01-2001, 10:21 PM
Is this related to One (1) Legged Chi Sao?

"Once I have harnessed the power of the Sun, I will be UNSTOPPABLE!" -- Mini-Me

yenhoi
10-01-2001, 10:52 PM
From the 'normal' slt stance I do a yan jeung with both arms while moving whichever leg will be in the air, then 'withdraw' my arms and perform the slt one or several times. I generally do a double yan jeung whenever 'swapping' stance or position when performing slt. This goes for going from one leg to the other.

Also, during my gung fu streching I will perform slt while doing hanging leg or draping leg.

(Chinese hanging leg = one leg raised and bent at the knee... shin 'hanging' - draping leg is a straight leg being held perpendicular to my body, both are performed both straight out (forward) or to the side (left or right)) I believe these are standard gung fu, or ma exercises. I think my Sifu has named them for fun or something.

Performing slt while executing these exercizes is not what my Sifu has 'taught' me. I have just started doing slt during these movements because I figure why not.

I think I have been clear.

strike!

fa_jing
10-01-2001, 11:09 PM
Yen_hoi: are you saying you are able to hold your leg straight out, perpendicular to your body, for the length of time it takes to perform SLT? I can barely do it with the hanging leg, and I am in decent shape.
More power to you!

Martial Joe
10-02-2001, 12:47 AM
I think it is a waste of precious wing chun time.
I would not use my wing chun time to stand on one leg when I could do it properly...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

dzu
10-02-2001, 12:51 AM
So does that mean you never kick?

Dzu

yenhoi
10-02-2001, 12:59 AM
during warm-up I do a extensive amount of streching, somewhere towards the end of 'warming up' I do one legged chinese hanging and draping leg stances. Recently I have begun doing the slt while executing those exercises.

Its more I figure that while I am standing there training my legs I might as well use my arms and do the slt. (Not to imply slt is all about arms.)

However, this doesnt seem weird to me because my sifu also teaches one-legged slt.

Like I said I'm a newer MA but this would seem to have a positive effect concerning awareness of your centerline also status and use of hips and knees as well.

I think...

strike!

Martial Joe
10-02-2001, 01:51 AM
No Dzu...I kick,but I dont keep my weight all on that leg on the ground...I strive to go 50/50... so if I kick I cant hold my leg in the air long,just long enough to kick the guy...besides,why would you want to leave your leg in the air where it is more vonerable?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

CanadianBadAss
10-02-2001, 02:41 AM
I bet you'll change your point of view as soon as your sifu starts to teach u sticky feet. lol sticky feet sounds so funny... Any way, say it does take away from your stance being 50/50(not that it does for me), I think the benefits out way the problems you think it causes. Ex. say u throw a round house kick (or any kick for that matter) and it gets caught, after doing sticky feet you'll have better balance and your leg will be stronger giving you a better chance to survive it.

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

yenhoi
10-02-2001, 02:44 AM
You also dont stand in the slt stance and perform fuk saus on your opponent.

The purpose of standing on one leg would be to stand on one leg - train that leg to accept all of your weight - a common event while fighting.

strike!

Roy D. Anthony
10-02-2001, 06:11 AM
Training on one foot, originally was an exercise on its own. Training it during Siu Lim Tao is to give you something to do so to prevent boredom.

Martial Joe
Kicking with the weight on the kicking leg makes one vulnerable to giving your weight to your opponent. Chum Kiu teaches us how to be able to control our weight so that one does not give away his balance.
That is why Wing Chun kicks with 2 or 3 legs on the floor.

fa_jing
10-02-2001, 07:55 PM
Roy, I am sure you are right about this originating as one-legged stance training for the legs only. The reason I say this is that many CMA's I've seen train the one legged stance: Tai-Chi, White Crane, Praying Mantis, Wing Chun, Shaolin, and probably the rest as well. "Golden Rooster Stands on one leg, " "crane stance," etc. I do think that performing SLT or another legs-stationary hand form is beneficial while doing this. One, you are training the form as well, thus maximizing your time. Two, if the form usually takes you X minutes, you can use it to train both legs an equal amount of time. Three, extending your hands one side at a time trains your to keep your balance on one leg, to keep all your hip muscles relaxed when slight shifts occur in weight distribution. Four, as Roy said, it keeps you entertained. It also helps me to focus. There may even be a fighting application, such as a leg block + punch combo. It is mostly an exercise for your leg-lifting muscles, and helps you relax your hips.

wongfeilung809
10-02-2001, 08:42 PM
have any of you that has done the one legged form, tried this while closing your eyes?
simpleangles

fa_jing
10-02-2001, 09:04 PM
Yes, I have tried with eyes closed - I couldn't do it at all! Why do you think that is?

wongfeilung809
10-02-2001, 09:17 PM
you dont have the balance yet.... maybe youre still attached, upper body and lower body, not concentrating....i have no idea... i would say practice like that for a while, and slowly youll get better, and with your eyes open,it will be a breeze, hell, you could do it drunk and still have perfect form
simpleangles

Shadowboxer
10-02-2001, 09:46 PM
I haven't learned this yet but I have seen my sihing train this way. It is to strengthen your legs and get you ready for sticky legs(chi gerk).
You have to learn to keep your root while punching/striking, and performing the other motions that involve forward intent and jing in the SNT.

Roy D. Anthony
10-04-2001, 07:23 AM
Wow you sound very Knowledgeable! But be careful . It is these kind of assumptions that have made Wing Chun what it is now.
The one legged Stance training is simply that One legged stance training.
What you add to it is simply what you want to add to it. No reason needed.
I practice Mook Jong on one leg. So how good does that make me compared to you? Does it even matter?
Don't lose focus on it's original intent. Hope this Helps you Fajink.