PDA

View Full Version : Elektra

Li Kao
01-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Anyone excited to see this?

I think it has the potential to be mildly cool -- some of the characters remind me of anime (Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, etc) such as the ninjas whose tattoos become real animals. I always liked the character of Elektra in the Daredevil comic books, especially when Frank Miller was writing/drawing, but didn't really like alot of the spin-off mini-series they made with her.
I also am dubious of the young girl they show in the trailer -- looks like a corny plot line. K-1 fighter Bob Sapp is playing Stone. The director, Rob Bowman, has done alot of TV work such as X-Files, but his last forray into movies was the awful Reign of Fire.

I like Jennifer Garner -- she is of course quite easy on the eyes, though it is always a crap shoot when Hollywood actors/actresses take on martial arts characters. Yes, they go through intensive training, but sometimes it works and other times it is just not convincing. At least for me, not having Ben Affleck show up as Daredevil in this one is a plus ...

Shaolinlueb
01-09-2005, 05:31 PM
i think typhoid mary is hot looking. :D

Starchaser107
01-10-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing elektra's movie. I think Jenifer Garner is actually a martial artist though , seems like a japanese discipline. At least she moves convincing enough from what i've seen of her.

Typhoid Mary is hot. But kind of scary. Good luck on that one Lube.

MasterKiller
01-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm...having...a....premonition.

YES! I can see it....I see it....it's coming in clearer...

Hold on....just a second....

THERE! Yes...I can see it...this movie...will

Suck Balls

Starchaser107
01-10-2005, 08:55 AM
If JG is doing the sucking then
Let It Be MINE

Mr Punch
01-10-2005, 08:59 AM
MK you son of a *****!

It's really tricky explaining in Japanese why on earth that just made me crease up laughing!:D :D :D

But I have to agree...

and yet strangely, with Stachaser too! Except mine, not his... or at least mine first...! :D

Shaolinlueb
01-10-2005, 09:43 AM
you guys can fight over elektra, as long as the girl playing typhoid mary is mine :D

Starchaser107
01-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Electrafying sex is something i can live with

Typhoid sex on the other hand

that's just scary.

strange fetishes u have there

MasterKiller
01-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Jennifer Garner has had too much plastic surgery for my tastes...She's like the Michael Jackson of actresses...

She was on Law and Order once and had a big Jewish nose. At least she looked normal, then.

red5angel
01-11-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm holding out on my opinion until I see it. The previews look pretty good. I'm not a big fan of Garner, especially after DareDevil. I'm, also not a big fan of movies that sport kids for most of the plot and this one appears too. We''ll see.

SimonM
01-12-2005, 08:19 PM
This movie is exactly the sort of crap I was talking about earlier.Here is what I mean (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34442)

norther practitioner
01-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Saw the trailer last night..

I'd go with MKs prediction.. or preminition....lol

Judge Pen
01-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I'll skip the movie, but I do like the thought of Jennifer Garner in red leather. . . .

GeneChing
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Here's our new e-zine review on Elektra (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=574) by Dr. Craig Reid. Check it out.

jun_erh
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I just got the re-issue of shaolin temple 3: martial arts of shaolin starring Jet Li. (so no)

PangQuan
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Sometimes I wonder if im the only one who really digs any action movie no matter how bad it is. I think it has to do with the fact that I fill in all the awful parts with my imagination, or I just ignore them. To me it doesnt matter about any of the bad parts in an action flick, its the good parts. And frankly pretty much every action movie has at least one good scene. Thats what I watch them for, that one good scene. So as you can tell even if MK is right and JG ends up in starchasers room at the end of the night ill still go to the show and dig the good parts. But im leaving when Star goes for his belt.

red5angel
01-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Actually I'm mostly the same way. I enjoy a good action movie almost everytime. I just make sure not to go in with any preconcieved ideas on what it's going to be.

GeneChing
01-14-2005, 04:28 PM
That being said, I confess I will watch Van Damme movies on late night Spanish TV. They work better in Spanish. I can't speak Spanish, but being Californian, I can understand enough to get through a Van Damme movie...

SimonM
01-14-2005, 07:16 PM
At least Van Damme movies weren't just CGI. I mean, when CGI first made it into fight movies it was like: cool! But now it's like Hollywood can't do a fight without CGI! It's been done to death!

SPJ
01-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I saw the movie. I liked it.

Good and evil (the hand).

The treasure or Abby.

Electra.

I like Jen. I do not like the weapon Sais.

It was a good move. Since the son of the boss was moving so fast, Jen waited for him to come and hit him with the Sai.

Going down in the well.

Feels relieved after all the sadness and loss of Mom for Jen.

The treasure is with the good this time.

Evils of the hand were all undone.

---

Li Kao
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Well, I watched this movie last night and am sorry to say I was pretty disappointed overall (MK, your 2 word premonition was pretty much right on the money, but when movies like this come out, I can't_resist_urge ... must_see)

I knew the story line was going to be borderline hokey with the inclusion of the young girl, so I wasn't expecting much there. So when the plot turned out to be very predictable and a rehash of recycled ideas, I wasn't suprised.

Like PangQuan said, even if the story/plot is hokey, an action movie can redeem itself, at least to my tastes, with well-choreographed and exciting fight scenes. Look at most of Jacky Chan's movies -- the plot can be thin but he more than makes up for it with action. However, the fight scenes in this movie were, almost universally, LAME. I don't want to give away spoilers in case some of you plan to go see it, but the way Elektra dispatches of Stone, Typhoid Mary, Kirigi, and Tattoo were all very anti-climatic and uninspiring.

Also, I appreciate that they tried to include characters from the comic book mythos of Elektra (something sorely missing from the Hulk IMO), but it's frustrating to me when they tamper with those myths. In the comic realm, Stone was one of Stick's disciples, but in the movie, he is part of the Hand and his enemy. The same with Typhoid Mary -- she was never involved with the Hand in the comics. I realize I might be coming off like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, but I grew up with the Frank Miller version of Elektra, and am a stickler on details like that.

All that being said, Typhoid Mary was smokin' , minus the creepy black eyes.

Starchaser107
01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
she was smokin' lube was right. I admit my error.
the movie was pretty bad , but i did enjoy some elements of it.
the costume designs were pretty good, i think.
I'd have liked to see more background on who these demons were.
I never read the electra comics, I only read a few daredevil. and I have lots of questions.

why is stick blind ?
why is stick white ?
what is shang tsungs purpose in the movie ?
who are these hand demons?
i wasn't aware that typhoid mary was a demon?
who is that skinny demon that uses bare handed fighting.

I thought tatoo was pretty cool.
I thought typhoids graphics were pretty cool.

Shaolinlueb
01-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
she was smokin' lube was right. I admit my error.
the movie was pretty bad , but i did enjoy some elements of it.
the costume designs were pretty good, i think.
I'd have liked to see more background on who these demons were.
I never read the electra comics, I only read a few daredevil. and I have lots of questions.

why is stick blind ?
why is stick white ?
what is shang tsungs purpose in the movie ?
who are these hand demons?
i wasn't aware that typhoid mary was a demon?
who is that skinny demon that uses bare handed fighting.

I thought tatoo was pretty cool.
I thought typhoids graphics were pretty cool.

in the comic typhoud had white skin and she had like horns.

Starchaser107
01-19-2005, 02:21 PM
firt time i saw typhoid mary she was in hells kitchen ( daredevil) in red with red hair and she looked like an 80s rock band member with big hair

Starchaser107
01-19-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Daredevilvol4_TyphoidMary.jpg

http://members.aol.com/thefightingfury/whoclix/typhoid.gif

Li Kao
01-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Starchaser,

Here is a link for info re: Stick
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/s/stick.htm

In the comics, it was never really revealed why Stick was blind or white for that matter -- but he was basically the mentor of Daredevil, and since he was blind he had developed his "proximity sense" or radar, which he was able to 'teach' to Daredevil. I know his order was called The Chaste. Stone was part of the Chaste, and there were a few other named ones -- an archer named Shaft and another named Claw.

The Hand were always portrayed as mythical-type Ninjas -- their leaders such as Kirigi had names, but generally they were the typical throng of faceless, nameless stereotypical Ninjas. I remember that Wolverine has fought the Hand at times as well ...

I can't remember them ever explaining Typhoid Mary's "origin", if you will, but I just know that she never really had any ties to The Hand, and I think they just threw her in to keep up with the comic book "world" of Elektra. Although the more I think of it, I think Typhoid only ever fought Daredevil and never really had any connection with Elektra. Sorry, I'm a little foggy as I haven't read comics in years, although I was a huge DD/Elektra fan as a kid.

And you're right about Cary Tagawa's role -- it was pretty useless, too bad they couldn't have found something better for him to do as I really like his acting.

Starchaser107
01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
thanks for the info
i notice from what you've linked , and from what i was looking up today that the movies are sort of based on the general plot of the comics in a condensed way. I guess in the case of electra with transgressions such as the child, and such as stone and typhoid ( who is a pyrokinetic as far as i remember her and not a bacterial agent of destruction and death.)

@PLUGO
01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
So... as leader of the CHASTE stick's been taked with finding individuals with the talent/spirit to become masters of a specific weapon. Unlike the HAND which thrives on having huge numbers of nameless/faceless Ninjas the Chaste have a relately small number of members.

Stick, Stone, Shaft, (& a few others) each had a weapon/skill of mastery; respectively Staff, Iron body, Archery etc...

Elektra was being groomed for the role of Sai, however she lost patience with training and was eventually discovered by the Hand.

Of course to join the HAND one must pledge their soul to the cult. As a result, upon their death they evaporate into smoke; their Qi returning to those in the HAND who are their superiors. At one point durring their fued with Daredevil the HAND created a super Ninja by feeding a chosen warrior with the life force of scores of Ninjas. This becomes important later.

When young matt Murdock is blinded and discovers his heightened sences it's Stick whoi seeks him out and teaches him how to control these sences. At the same time he is also grooming Matt to become his own successor as a new stick (this is why Daredevil fights so well with those clubs of his). Matt of course rejects the destiny aspect of this training and eventually becomes Daredevil.

Meanwhile Elektra, unwilling to fully submit to the Hand, has made a career for herself as an assassin. Kingpin hires her to replace Bullseye (who was locked up after loosing to DD) and Kill DD. Of course she doesn't know that DD is actually Matt Murdock the Law student she had a brief fling with while they where at the same school but before her the death of her father (which drove her to seek out the Chaste & eventually the HAND).

They fight, She discovers who DD is & eventually turns on Kingpin in favor of DD. Bullseye re-enters the scene and kills Elektra as revenge against DD as well as a means to regaining the roll as Kingpins #1 assassin, a roll that would be adopted by Typhoid Mary later on. DD of course cripples him in retaliation.

Based on the Lessons of Stick, Daredevil seeks to resurrect Elektra, after Stick refuses, feeling she is a lost cause. Meanwhile the Hand are seeking to aquire her body so as to turn it into another of their undead super Ninjas. Stick leaves STONE to N.Y. to help keep DD out of trouble and help him in the ongoing feud with the HAND.

This all resolves in a burning church where elektra's body lays. The hand is trying to steal it and Stone is holding them off while DD attempts the resurection; he fails. However the effort "cleanses" Elektra's soul from the taint of the Hand. While DD fight the Hand on his way out of the Church, STONE sets out to distroy her body (being immune to flame he can stay in the burning church) but stops noticing her freshly purified soul. He opts to give her his lifeforce, resurecting her and dying himself. The church collapses in flames, DD thinks both Elektra and stone are lost.

Time passes and a newly purified Elektra make her way back to the Chaste's mountain Monastary, dressed in a white version of her outfit and seemingly prepared to fullfill her role as SAI.

unaware that Elektra's returned to NYC DD has another confrontation with Bullseye who is having reconstructive spinal surgery. He's basicly having Adamantium graffted to his spin in a similar procedure endured by wolverine. After an elaborate game of cat & mouse Elektra "kills" Bullseye is mortally wounded and discovered by DD only to die in his arms AGAIN!!!

Eventually both Bullseye and Elektra get better. In their absence, Typhoid Mary enters the scene, seduces Matt Murdock while attempting to Kill Daredevil.

Tatto is also a DD villian (as well as spiderman) but not associated with the Hand. If memory serves correctly Kirigi is also a comic charactor who lead the HAND against Wolverine and the X-men, and was responsible for the resurection of one of the X-women (Psylocke) as a Ninja Babe dressed in a black & purple version of Elektra's suit.

Chang Style Novice
01-20-2005, 10:50 AM
SOOPAH-SEXXXIEEE!!!!1! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/papajoemambo/LJ%20Stuff/Chip-Lectra2.jpg)

blake
01-20-2005, 10:58 AM
haha

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:03 AM
that reminds me of Maynard JK

hey, have you seen da movie
i dont feel like going to watch when it gets here cos daredevil sucked bad

right now im pizzed off at finding out the punisher wont be relased in here. cos the distributors are a bunch of ***s... they release "anaconda 2" (vomits) and dont release the punisher? wtf?

GeneChing
01-20-2005, 11:04 AM
******! My ****ing eyes!

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:09 AM
I saw it, it was ok, waaaaaay better then daredevil. IT had the same problem most superhero type movies have when they first come out, it spends some time buidling character so it seems a little slow at times. Nothing really stuck out at me but I will probably ad it to my DVD collection.