PDA

View Full Version : Different point of views on Tranditional approach

yellowpikachu
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
1. That the "short" power or "inch" power is important to WCK, was part of the older WCK tradition, is a very important link or commonality to Fukien White Crane, and is missing from a lot of modern WCK. "

(Just HOW important is it - this inch power?
Answer: Means very little during the course of a real fight).

Opinion: if the Falling step or its evolution still practice and used by Boxer . Then, the "inch" power means something.

let see what happen on the Falling Step.

http://www.boxinginlasvegas.com/q&a.html

Hello Mr. McCullough,

My name is Robert Malear, from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I was wondering if you have ever heard of the boxing book entitled "championship fighting" by the famous Jack Dempsey. In this book he covers how to develop knockout power in your left jab and with all your punches by using a "trigger step" kinda like a falling forward power, or "falling step" Is this common knowledge in the boxing world? He calls his left jab a "left jolt". I would like to develop knockout power in either hand and not just "rabbit punches".. Any suggestions? I am
very interested in learning to coordinate my hip/body weight into all my punches. The book helps a little but I don't think it can compensate for a good trainer. Also wondering if this just might be outdated information.
I have also read a book that uses "boxing as a martial art" by a guy named Ned Beaumont. It is called "Championship Streetfighting" . I think he is just reiterating a lot of Dempsey's material, though.
Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank You,
Robert J. Malear
"slainte "
-----------------------------------
Robert,

Stepping forward with a jab is good. If you miss you are still in range. Never fall forward because that will leave you off balance.
As for punch power - it's all in the hips!! A lot of people think punching comes from your arms, but that is only "arm punching." You have to use your hips and step in with the jab / hook etc., with short punches.
Look at different books / watch fighters and if you see something that works, do it!!

Wayne

.................................................. ...............................................

2. "That WCK shares much more in common with Fukien White Crane both from a historical and technical viewpoint than it does with Shaolin."

(So what? - Why should I care?)

Opinon: depend on one's position and needs.

However, a physicist has to know about the history and the corse of development of the foundamental root of the concepts/ theorie/ experiment technics for further improvement or even diagnosis of the field.

.................................................. ..........................................

3. "That modern WCK can be informed by, inspired by, and enriched by knowing what has come before and how it is linked to the past."

(Again...big deal! Great for a discussion around the fireplace in my old age.)

Opinion: depend on one's positoin and needs.

As in modern High Tech design today, often new modern design comes from old concepts. One be able to design a certain new garget such as the Apple Ipod because one has modern material/components such as the economic giga byte small size hard disk drive for storange which is non exist ten years ago. But the concept is not new.

How new is the concept of to store something and replay it again compare with Thomas Edition's discovery? the different is one store in an analog way one store in the digital way?

.................................................. ........................................

4. That the "traditional" approach still has value and should be respected.

(Only if that "traditional" approach serves me well in the here and now martial arts world.)

Opinion: Here and Now Martial arts world for every different individual or every different style is not the same. and there is a different between serving one's particular specific needs or serving everyone as a whole. Thus, "Traditional" approach serve different people differently.

Let's look at the FAlling Step of the Boxer example above. Is "Traditional falling step" approach of Boxing still serves one well? Can the "Traditional falling step" approach of Boxing still serve to give a good direction in training?

The old "championship fighting" book by the famous Jack Dempsey. gives raise to lots of pragmatic questions such as : Stepping forward, Falling forward, "arm punching." .... etc which applied to Here and Now martial arts world if one has a clear understanding about it.

If Stepping Step is a good way or inspiration or "tradition" of power generation for Boxing. Then, isnt it we (including me) want to find out what the Power generation comes with the WCK? and isnt it mean we need to search into what happen in the past unbiasly to examine the facts to see what is going on? why thing works why is things not working? from the past to here and now?

Just some different point of views.

t_niehoff
01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Hendrik,

Historically you may be onto something -- see my post in the "Power Generation" thread. Certainly "inch power" is an element of WCK. But just as many great boxers don't and haven't done those things spelled out by Dempsey, or if they have, they've used put them into their boxing in their own way, so it is with WCK or any fighting art. Short power, inch power, is an element of the method; how much we emphasize that element depends upon our personal expression.

taltos
01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by t_niehoff
how much we emphasize that element depends upon our personal expression.

One tool may be more effective or more efficient or more suited to a particular task, but ultimately it is just a tool until it is picked up and used. And at that point the proficiency of the user has just as much impact on the outcome as the tool itself.

The Egyptians built pyramids with manpower and copper tools... I couldn't build a treehouse with my grandfather's (a Master Carpenter and Journeyman) very expensive, top-of-the-line stainless steel and electirc powered tools.

Terrence, we may disagree on other aspects of training and such, but we are in 100% agreement here.

-Levi Melton

old jong
01-10-2005, 10:36 AM
"Short power" is an intrinsic element of Wing Chun because it fits the arm bridge of the system.You need this aspect to be able to hit effectively from the distance provided by the bridge.Without it,you have to pull in your hands to create distance for power thus...( ;) ) not using proper Wing Chun structure.

yellowpikachu
01-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by t_niehoff
Hendrik,

Historically you may be onto something -- see my post in the "Power Generation" thread. Certainly "inch power" is an element of WCK.

But just as many great boxers don't and haven't done those things spelled out by Dempsey, or if they have, they've used put them into their boxing in their own way, so it is with WCK or any fighting art.

Short power, inch power, is an element of the method; how much we emphasize that element depends upon our personal expression.

Certainly you are right.

However, can we discarnaud the benifit of Dempsey sharing his view to people such as me who doesnt have a clue of what the Great Boxers or Great WCK fighters know which they are born with?

So, let's call that "falling step" stuff is Dempsey's model of his view of Boxing power genration in his time. others might have the same model, or different model to express the reallity of what they do at that time.

But, I will not be able to figure out there is a Falling forward, there is a stepping forward, there is a stepping forward with arm power, there is a stepping forward with "falling" power... if there is not Dempsey's explaination and our late friend from WSL lineage in LA doesnt give me that Dempsey book in the 2001 WC seminal.

So, at least in my side, I feel thankfull to our WCK friend who give me that book, Dempsey who share openly, The tradition of Boxing which has such a great elements be it the great boxer have used put them into their boxing in their own way. I will not know a thing if I these people didnt have it.

That straight and simple about why I love to look into history and why I think history especially the technical part is important.

I cant do Boxing standing still in the Jong or wide horse stance like Nam Kuen or doing Boxing Like WuShu no matter how I speculate the theories or concept... right? Sure I can do that but I either delude myself crazy or helping others to "screw" them up badly.

So, finding out what is the connection and does it make sense will aid if it is applicable. and oftern we will find thing which doesnt make sense at all. so discard them.

My late Aunt always question if the Americans has landed in the Moon for real because she believed the chinese has been there and see different palaces in the moon thousand years ago. So, am I going to believe that? IMHHHHO.

yellowpikachu
01-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by taltos
One tool may be more effective or more efficient or more suited to a particular task, but ultimately it is just a tool until it is picked up and used. And at that point the proficiency of the user has just as much impact on the outcome as the tool itself.

The Egyptians built pyramids with manpower and copper tools... I couldn't build a treehouse with my grandfather's (a Master Carpenter and Journeyman) very expensive, top-of-the-line stainless steel and electirc powered tools.

Terrence, we may disagree on other aspects of training and such, but we are in 100% agreement here.

-Levi Melton

Levi,

You have some good valid points.

If I am going to learn about carpentering from you.

You are going to teach me the difference of chain saw, cutter, hammer ...etc, how to use different tool for different purpose. such as not to spend lots of effort to use a Hammer to cut a wire disregard of how strong I can hammer right? :D

Knifefighter
01-10-2005, 11:06 AM
The "drop step" that Dempsey talked about is pretty much discounted by most boxers as not very effective. Notice how McCullough says, "Never fall forward because that will leave you off balance. As for punch power - it's all in the hips!!" Human biiomechanical studies also support this.

yellowpikachu
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Knifefighter
The "drop step" that Dempsey talked about is pretty much discounted by most boxers as not very effective. Notice how McCullough says, "Never fall forward because that will leave you off balance. As for punch power - it's all in the hips!!" Human biiomechanical studies also support this.

there is pure fall, and step-drop type of "fall". ....

There is all in the hips ARM punching, and there is hip integrated body holistic punching . .....

Thus, in WCK we got train in that little Idea set to scrutinize (sp) to neat pick the difference ;)
you might want to learn some of these uniques ancient, old, secret, mysterious, magic ... of WCK too. Make one a greate "neat picker" at least! see what you have missed! ;) (JK)

IMHHHO

old jong
01-10-2005, 11:16 AM

Is that why today's average boxers need 872 punches to knock out an opponent on 12 rounds?...Most good doormen need only one.
BTW,the falling step expression doesn't really mean "falling forward" but using the body mass in timing with the straight punch.

yellowpikachu
01-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by old jong
Is that why today's average boxers need 872 punches to knock out an opponent on 12 rounds?...Most good doormen need only one.
BTW,the falling step expression doesn't really mean "falling forward" but using the body mass in timing with the straight punch.

Old Jong,

When I heard about the Boxing from the oldtimer Chinese martial artists decades ago.

They told me, Boxing's power is like a HUGE heavy AXE. and just take one AXE is very damaging.

I never really understand what these old Chinese talking about until I read the Demsey's book.

It is a great power.

Knifefighter
01-10-2005, 11:33 AM
BTW,the falling step expression doesn't really mean "falling forward" but using the body mass in timing with the straight punch. Boxers are fighting other highly conditioned, highly motivated, and highly skilled opponents with padding on their hands. Doormen, on the other hand, usually have the element of surprise, are usually pitted against drunk people with no skills, and usually have backup.

old jong
01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Hendrik-
I read about this also and this other book (championship street fighting) IMO it is simply a Chum Kiu lesson! Dempsey was putting the Chum Kiu teachings in application by using his body mass motions in perfect concordance with his punching technique.He was also using a vertical fist!!!...

(Of course he knew nothing about Wing Chun but these kinds of coincidences happen in all domains)

old jong
01-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Boxers are fighting other highly conditioned, highly motivated, and highly skilled opponents with padding on their hands. Doormen, on the other hand, usually have the element of surprise, are usually pitted against drunk people with no skills, and usually have backup.

I always thought that the hand padding was to protect the hands,not the other fighters.Thus allowing to hit even harder and at hard places like the skull.
Boxers have also breaks between rounds,corner guys to help them and a referee to stop the fight if any of the boxers is in too much trouble to defend himself.There are also rules to prevent low blows,biting,eye gauging,rabbit punches,etc....But we know about at least a biting case!...;)

t_niehoff
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Consider, for the sake of illustration, that Dempsey's book is like a lineage in WCK, for example Fung's Koo Lo or mine, it doesn't matter. The book/lineage will outline various elements that the author has found important in both the general method and in their personal of boxing/WCK. But that book/lineage isn't boxing, nor does it define boxing or what is good boxing -- although it may reflect boxing at a certain period in time. The information in that book can be used by us to develop into good boxers. How we use that information depends on us. How do we learn to box and develop into good boxers? By taking that info, trying to develop it, and box with it. Actually fight with it. And it is by trying to box that we can really appreciate and evaluate the info.

Now, there are great boxers that don't use Dempsey's book, and have never read it. There are great boxers that do things very differently than Dempsey. But what do they all have in common -- what makes them all boxers? That they all are using the same tools, the jab, cross, hook, slip, bob, etc. -- the same elements. But how they use them are individual, based on their individual needs, their individual talents, etc. What makes them great boxers? That they have fought and held their own against recignized great boxers. Trying to box like Dempsey will lead a person nowhere. They need to box like themselves, just using that information to help them become better.

So we can't point to the "drop step" and say -- "this is how one must do or should do a lead punch." Rather, we can say "this is a way to do the lead punch" and see whether or not for ourselves, by putting it into our boxing, it works for us or not. Or, we can find a great way for ourselves by actually doing a lead punch (like so many great boxers have). It doesn't help to say "well, Dempsey could make it work", what matters is whether I can make it work. You judge the quality of a boxer by their results, not how well they can mimic Dempsey or how well they can recite Dempsey.

old jong
01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
We can't also juge a Wing Chun person on how well he mimick MMA's or boxing or talk like them!
Wing Chun is a system and must be understood well enough to be effective.It is not a ring sport like boxing with his distinct brands of styles as the "boxer/jabber" or the "croutched hooker" or the head hunter "raging bull" kind. There is not as much place for personal styles as these things will get away from proper structure and distance very fast,thus ( ;) ) playing some other style game and not even using Wing Chun.

The "falling step/punch" present a relation to Wing Chun in some way. This doesn't mean we should transform Wing Chun into boxing or adopt it's many ways. Unless you prefer boxing but,that's your prerogative IMO.

anerlich
01-10-2005, 02:29 PM
If Stepping Step is a good way or inspiration or "tradition" of power generation for Boxing. Then, isnt it we (including me) want to find out what the Power generation comes with the WCK? and isnt it mean we need to search into what happen in the past unbiasly to examine the facts to see what is going on? why thing works why is things not working? from the past to here and now?

The difference as I see it is twofold:

1. Dempsey was relating what in his time, to him, were "cutting edge" theories. He used and discussed what worked for him and other boxers he respected in his era, not tales of legendary figures from centuries before.

2. Dempsey uses straightforward, detailed description, with metaphor only used to elucidate his points, not to disguise or obfuscate them with flowery language as happens often in writings related to TCMA.. Also he does not allude to esoteric concepts, neologisms, or arcane knowledge, just sound advice related simply. Some posters on this thread would do well to follow that example .

Those relating the bouncer stories would do well to read Geoff Thompson's "Watch my Back" again. He used the 3-second KO often, but using boxing structure, believing oriantal MA punching structures were inferior.

I'd venture to say that if most pro boxers found themselves threatend in a nightclub, their opponents would not last more than a few seconds.

There is not as much place for personal styles

In "Proper Wing Chun", no. In fighting effectively, you absolutely need a style that can adjust to you.

FWIW, I see a fair amount of commonality between Dempsey's approach and TWC, though we would not exaggerate the falling step as much. And, unlike some, I read this book about twelve years ago. I own a copy. It's even transcribed on the web, on Stickgrappler's MA archive site (Google is your friend).

We can't also juge a Wing Chun person on how well he mimick MMA's or boxing

In terms of effectiveness or results, yes you can.

old jong
01-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by anerlich

In terms of effectiveness or results, yes you can.

O.K! Wing Chun is not the only fighting method! The question is:If you (generic) learn to do something in a very precise way technicaly then learn the proper body structure,way to apply power,distancing,strategy an everything and after throw everything in the sink to have a "personal style" on every items cited here...Are you still practicing what you previously learned,or tried to learn?...(Remember!...Wing Chun is based on precises things,small moves,joint power ETC...Things that suffer from imprecision)
Why not simply and honestly (Since honesty is big on this forum lately) forget about something you (again generic) don't like anyway and join boxing,Muay Thai or whatever.Because you (G)are losing your precious time pretending doing something when you (G) are really doing something else....Effective or not!

Knifefighter
01-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I always thought that the hand padding was to protect the hands,not the other fighters.Thus allowing to hit even harder and at hard places like the skull. Yes, gloves protect the hands, but they protect the face much more than the hands. Anyone who has fought with gloves and, also, bareknuckled knows this. Your face gets way more beaten up, cut, bruised, etc without gloves. That's one reason there are more cuts in MMA fights. The gloves are much smaller.

canglong
01-10-2005, 10:34 PM
originally posted by hendrik
2. "That WCK shares much more in common with Fukien White Crane both from a historical and technical viewpoint than it does with Shaolin." All Southern CMA are known to share certain traits Fujian White Crane is but one of many useful effective Southern CMA. Being neither a White Crane expert nor a Shaolin Wing Chun expert your claim of "much more" has little to no merit and suggest a bias on your part that is even irrelevant to your own topic.

old jong
01-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes, gloves protect the hands, but they protect the face much more than the hands. Anyone who has fought with gloves and, also, bareknuckled knows this. Your face gets way more beaten up, cut, bruised, etc without gloves. That's one reason there are more cuts in MMA fights. The gloves are much smaller.
The face ...I agree to some extent but they endure a lot of punches compared to a barenuckles fight or with small MMA gloves.This can mean a flatter EEG (brain waves)at the next pre-fight check-up.I can say that because I know the woman who EEG test the pro and semi-pro boxers in Quebec (she also work at my hospital).They all have brain damage to various degree.Even the best ones (there is a certain brain damage limit not to pass or they lose their fighter licence).
This is one of the advantage of MMA's contests. You can be KO from a good punch or kick but it will almost never be a brain beating like we see so often in boxing.
BTW,I have seen MMA guys deliberatly punch at a certain angle to cut the other guy!...The referees often will stop the fight because of the blood. ;)

yellowpikachu
01-11-2005, 10:08 AM
All Southern CMA are known to share certain traits Fujian White Crane is but one of many useful effective Southern CMA. -----

Fujian White Crane is not only usefull and effective and it exist for past 350 years and influence other southern CMA including the so called "Southern Shao Lin" with evidence.

Being neither a White Crane expert nor a Shaolin Wing Chun expert your claim of "much more" has little to no merit and suggest a bias on your part that is even irrelevant to your own topic. -------

Since you are so certain about I am bias and irrelevant. then, you must be a Shao Lin Wing Chun and White Crane Weng Chun expert right?

1, Shao Lin Wing Chun?

until you proof the existance and not a branch of White Crane Weng Chun of Fujian in the past 350 years of china with solid evidence, and passing the 8 filters of China history.

Your speculation is respected and embrace. however. Pratically, you are speculating your own view. again, with no evidence.

2, White Crane Weng Chun expert? There are lots of Senior in China, Taiwan, and SEA, and BTW, they have come to identify that WCK as a spin-off from White Crane of Weng Chun due to the evidence of similarity technically and more... Go check it out with them.

3, you are invited o join with others who has now discussing about inch power here? Do you know about inch power? share with us how is the Shao Lin Wing Chun generate the inch power and how is this type of power different or similar to the White Crane Weng Chun's 350 years inch Jing join power? you can enlightent all of us here about the process the conditioning the similarity and difference compare with the Falling Steps..... since everything is Tien Die Yan, Dao, Chan, Qi, medirians.. right? no big deal right? a master or expert has to know all how this related and link in a big picture and all the details isnt it?

4, you must have known there is atleast another level of domain beyond the power generation . for the power generation is just a begining of the White CRane Weng Chun's art which written in their Classic writing. since you are the expert, so tell us what is it? and how is that related to the Shao Lin Wing Chun? BTW, since you need to refer to the Classical writing of White Crane Weng Chun 1700 or earlier. You need to refer to the Shao Lin Wing Chun classical writing in the same perior of time too.

Let us see and enjoy how Tony present and lead us into his great expertise subject.

Knifefighter
01-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by yellowpikachu
you are invited o join with others who has now discussing about inch power here? Do you know about inch power? Can you do the inch power? Or do you just beleive all the stories about all those who could do it in the olden days?

yellowpikachu
01-11-2005, 10:31 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by yellowpikachu
you are invited o join with others who has now discussing about inch power here? Do you know about inch power?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you do the inch power? Or do you just beleive all the stories about all those who could do it in the olden days?

since Canglong said to me "Being neither a White Crane expert nor a Shaolin Wing Chun expert your claim of "much more" has little to no merit and suggest a bias on your part that is even irrelevant to your own topic."

he seems to be the real master.
what you qouting up here is my invitation to him to show us his expertise. let 's wait for him answer you is better then this " bias irrevant" pikachu :D

BTW. Knifefighter, IMHHO, I think lets ask Canglong these in extended to your question. here is my proposal.

Can you do the inch power? how is it being done? what is the theory and process behind the inch power? what it is charactericstics different then other powe?...

Or do you just beleive all the stories about all those who could do it in the olden days? have you seen your sifu, sigung or others did it? have they use it in the kong sao? how do they train the inch power? Do you have the classical writing to prove that the invention is ancient not modern import? Have you compare this power to other styles such as White Crane Weng Chun, Mantis, Yee Chuan, Karate.....? What is the similarity pr differences of this inch power with White Crane Weng Chun's Bafen, karate's Tenso....

what is this inch power stuffs got to do with the momentum trajectory and potential /kenetic energy (or combination) of WCK style' signature while in operation?

Yup, lets carried this inch power stuffs up a level to the momentum/energy signature of WCK so that Terence will not be able to label " theoritical or fighter anymore. But force Terence into the conner of labering " momentum reality and momentum modeling" :D:D

Let's get into Momentum signature of a style and then to the Energy signature of the style.. hahaha. Well, that is still within the range of the White CRane Weng Chun's Fang Chi-niang's cook book. Check it out. Bottom line, dont we care about how to deal with other's momentum ? instead of chasing kiu sau, kam na sau .. "lets get Momentum momentum.....:D:D:D

Different style or sets has different unquiness of momentum signature. Thus, Iron wire of Hung gar is not Ten So of Karate. SLT is not Taijin. Aikido is not Judo. Kyokushin round horse Kick is not Mua Thai round horse kick is not TKD round horse kick.

lots of questions we can come up to study this inch power stuffs. But ofcorce, Canglong or anyone of us doesnt have to answer it. we cant force him or anyone to answer our wild questions right? :D

just some blue sky thoughts

yellowpikachu
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Rondhouse Kick analized by the Kyokushin.

We might want to do this for the inch power or different power?

Just some blue sky thoughts. Enjoy. you might see the ghost of "falling step" or "inch power" or ... here.:D

BTW. I am going on a long trip. so see you all later.
have fun discussing!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Full-contact Karate
(Kyokushin, etc.)

Raise your knee.
With the twist of the hip and the snap of the knee, hit your shin against the opponent's leg and body, your instep against the head

The key is to feel your body weight dropping onto the target with your foot at the point of impact.

POWER

---------------------------------------------------

Traditional Karate
(Shotokan, etc.)

Raise the knee.
With the snap of the knee, hit with the ball of your foot, as your body still faces your opponent for the readiness.
Quickly retrieve the foot back to avoid getting caught.

The other foot is well grounded all the time for the control.
It is said that the use of the ball of the foot in kick can be more effective.

CONTROL

------------------------------------------------

Tae Kwon Do

The body leans backward for extra distance.
Using the snap of the knee, hit with the instep.

The key to its noted speed comes from flexibility, relaxation and the hopping footworks on the ground.

SPEED, DISTANCE

-----------------------------------------------

Muay Thai

With the full twist of your hip, hit the shin against the opponent's leg and body, instep against the head. They are noted especially for their use of shin.

The hip motion is the key to its power. Sometimes they kick while keeping their leg almost straight, executing solely by the hip motion.
The shin is a sensitive area but can be a very strong weapon if trained. Many Thai boxers have callasis on their shins, as Karate fighters have on their knuckles.

POWER

canglong
01-11-2005, 02:07 PM
originally posted for hendrik from knifefighter
Can you do the inch power? Or do you just beleive all the stories about all those who could do it in the olden days?

A general reply,

I have gotten some emails in asking me about the Counter Intuitive of the White Crane Inch Jing Join Power....how to do it....

Sorry that, I am not the master of White Crane Weng Chun , So, please get a qualified White Crane Weng Chun master to learn about it.

regards
hendrik .

anerlich
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Knifefighter asked:

Can you do the inch power?

Hendrik/Hsanto/Phenix/yellowpikachu replied:

Since Canglong said ....

(lots of words)

... just some blue sky thoughts

I think, KF, we can safely take the short answer to your question as:

No

Thus I have heard,

"inch power" is nothing more than the highly coordinated mechanics of normal punching, compressed into a short space and time. Most demonstrations of it, as opposed to actual applications in sparring or fighting, rely on certain timing with the breathing cycle of the punchee, and the relative positioning of both puncher and punchee.

Scott Sonnon of ROSS once demonstrated a "zero inch" punch in my presence, which looked pretty **** effective (the guy flew backwards and fell over just like in the WC vids), and had nothing to do with WC or TCMA.

I also know a guy who does another CMA (not WC, White Crane or Mantis for that matter) who could knock the wind out of you with an "inch punch" through three Sydney telephone books. Of course you had to stand still and take it, but it was pretty impressive all the same. The "thus I have heard" above was basically what he told me about it, and he obviously can prove he knows what he is talking about.

The main problem I have with this discussion is the rejection of the obvious and practical, in favour of the mysterious and arcane (and possibly fictional).

old jong
01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Up to now,and because I'm not a fast learner,I'm up to the "foot punch"!... But I'm working on it!...;)

KPM
01-12-2005, 04:17 AM
I posted my simple "dummy" test on the thread dealing with power generation. Its a very basic thing, but can be used as an indicator nonetheless. Something similar can be done on a free-standing "pillar" heavy bag. The "inch" or "short" power is not mysterious, arcane, or fictional. It has nothing to do with throwing people back during a staged demonstration. I'm not a master at it by any means, but I'm working on developing it more and more. It requires coordinated use of the waist and torso to get the best effect. It is very much a part of the "snake body" dynamic that Hendrik has mentioned in other places. If a person's hips are rolled forward and "locked", and their torso is "dead", then the effect will be minimal. It can be easily used "on the fly" without setup and at any angle or position because it is simply a way of generating power at very close range and is not a parlor trick. Since WCK was designed as a close-range fighting system, and the "inch" or "short" power is applied at this range, it is very practical....even if not obvious. And the "obvious" part is likely some of the problem. The "inch" or "short" power generation is not something most are going to stumble across or develop in sparring. It is something that has to be taught to you and cultivated.

Keith