PDA

View Full Version : martial arts choices

Snakehand
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
hi guys.
I want you guys' opinion. I am middle aged man who have taking baji. Due to being relocated soon, the 2 choices for baji instruction are 1) being two hours one way( taught by a Adam Hsu's trained student 2) nearby wushu place, who wants to charge me my firstborn . The other nearby alternatives are kyokuskin karate( a pretty good style of karate, definitely hard core), and Kuk sool won, a korean martial. Would you guys give up the baji, take one of the above? Both? Do they compliment one another.? My main concern also, internal aspectt of these arts, could still practice for years ?
Thanks guys

red5angel
01-11-2005, 09:25 AM
snakehand, you're the only person who can answer your questions. What are you willing to put in to your art to practice it? 2 hours isn't so bad, I know people who travel ****her then that for their work. I travel 45 minutes to my capoeira class, if it were ****her I'd go. Some people travel around the country and around the world to study the art they want. Do some research into the classes, schools, arts and then make a decision on whether you want to attend either.

SevenStar
01-11-2005, 10:45 AM
how good is your baji? If you are to a point where you can train and make progress on your own, and know the techniques properly (so you aren't drilling improper technique into you) then you may want to continue to train on your own and travel two your school a couple of times per month. I personally would check out the kyokushin school, but that's just me. Check out the schools in your area, see how you like them and how they compare to your current school.

As far as practicing into old age, you can do that regardless of style. I've said this on here several times - one of my judo coaches is 76. And, I know someone who fought a full contact match on their 50th b-day. One of my bjj coaches is 40. I know some middle aged people around my city who currently train kyokushin, muay thai, judo, kendo, etc. the focus of the training may have to change, but the style does not.

red5angel
01-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I just watched a couple of videos with capoeirista who were over the age of 50, two of them over the age of 70, and still doing it.

David Jamieson
01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
do the kyokushin. :D it's good, many guys in the K1 do it.

PangQuan
01-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Personally if i were you, to start I would; continue to practice diligently what has already been learned. Visit each school you have made a reference to. Sit in on a class, if possible see if they offer one class for free, and get a feel for the style. Then after an interview with each master, by which time you may have a good grasp as to who is a good teacher, pick what you feel would best round out your current training. Do what "feels" right. You will make the right choice.

SevenStar
01-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
I just watched a couple of videos with capoeirista who were over the age of 50, two of them over the age of 70, and still doing it.

longevity is everywhere if you train properly.

rogue
01-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Four hours of travel per class? Better be real good Baji. KSW is kind of like Hapkido mixed with some Kung Fu, or a softer version of Hwarangdo. Kicks, joint locks and mantis type traps. Check out the karate school. I've worked out with some karateka from kyokuskin and they had excellent control of their techniques. Not everybody in kyokuskin is a banger.

David Jamieson
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Kyokushin guys I have crossed with all have excellent fighting ability.

Yes, there are some in the classes who are tehre as a hobby, but a lot of m are dead serious about their junk and it shows.

you wanna train hard or hippy? :p

red5angel
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
longevity is everywhere if you train properly.

absolutely!

Personally snakehand, if I were you, I'd look for the school with the coolest unifroms and the one that offers the most lethal street moves in existance. Especially if they are secret techniques!:eek:

Judge Pen
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

you wanna train hard or hippy? :p

LOL.

David Jamieson
01-13-2005, 03:23 PM
oh, and make sure you're not missing out on a chance at a rex kwon do franchise while you're at it.

you know, the baggy pants made of an american flag are deadly! Pure sweeeeeet ninja goodness right there.

Royal Dragon
01-13-2005, 05:20 PM
If you are far enough with your Baiji, start a study group where you are so you have bodies to play with, and stay with your current teacher.

Nick Forrer
01-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
oh, and make sure you're not missing out on a chance at a rex kwon do franchise while you're at it.

you know, the baggy pants made of an american flag are deadly! Pure sweeeeeet ninja goodness right there.

Good film. Now if i can just get my time machine to take me back to 1982.......