PDA

View Full Version : SLT differences?

draggin dragon
01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm only beginning to study wing chun. I'm a total novice who has only been to one formal class so far. My question is about SLT. I was shown the first third of the form several times, but was unsure of the sequence of the moves. Upon returning home I looked it up via some web resources & a video & book that I have on WC. In all of my references I noticed that the "crossing hands" movement made at the beginning of the form to establish the center line is done first with the hands crossed in the lower position, then raised to the upper position.
In class, I'm sure they were all doing it the opposite (upper then lower). I also noticed a few minor variations in all of the references even though they are all from the YM lineage.
Was I taught incorrectly, or does this and other differences exist in SLT depending upon where you study?

old jong
01-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Don't worry about that. Almost all lineages will present minor variations on the SLT theme. All will also preserve the basic principles of the system.Enjoy your discovery of Wing Chun.

couch
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Draggin Dragon,
As Old Jong says, there are many variations on a common theme. Learn your SLT in it's entirety and give some time for your understanding of it. Don't be afraid to ask your Sifu why things are done a certain way. The perfect student isn't a teacher-say-student-do senario. Ask questions.

Different lineages of Wing Chun have their own 'spice' put in here and there. What matters most is the core components of what you're doing and whether you understand them or not.

Welcome to the fold!

Sincerely,
Kenton

anerlich
01-11-2005, 02:22 PM
What the other guys said.

From a practical point of view, the micro-details of the sequence are not of major importance. More that you are learning effective structure and movement patterns, and developing a vocabulary of techniques.

draggin dragon
01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.