PDA

View Full Version : Defense against Muay Thai low Roundkick

straight blast
10-03-2001, 10:56 AM
Hi! I'm new to Wing Chun & would like any ideas on how to defend against a Thai roundhouse to the thigh or shin WITHOUT using a leg check. Anything that you have used and has worked. I'm new to Wing Chun so please don't use chinese terms 'cos I won't have a clue what you're talking about!
Thanks!! :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

Ish
10-03-2001, 02:10 PM
I find when sparing i can usually kick there leg around the shin or knee using a simple front/stamp kick. I tend not to do it with too much power and rely more on the speed of the kick, I find it almost always stops them kicking me and usually hurts them.

Spark
10-03-2001, 06:49 PM
try drawing the leg they are kicking back.

Jeff Brown
10-03-2001, 07:57 PM
wait for him to weight himself on the anchoring leg then stomp kick it at the knee. as he falls rush in and demo the chump.

"Once I have harnessed the power of the Sun, I will be UNSTOPPABLE!" -- Mini-Me

wongfeilung809
10-03-2001, 09:44 PM
"demo the chump" lol, thats badass, i think i would raise the lead leg a and kick rush forward....once you get over the "fear" of getting hit, the rest you leave it up to what you feel...
simpleangles

straight blast
10-04-2001, 02:02 AM
Thanks. Sounds pretty sweet to me. Will practice my stamp kick. :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

CanadianBadAss
10-04-2001, 03:03 AM
Lift your lead leg up a bit and sort of catch the kick with your foot and ankle then take a big step back with your lead leg still hocked on to there kick. It's kind of hard to explain, but it u do it right you can usually send the other dude flying across the room.

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

whippinghand
10-04-2001, 04:07 AM
Against a serious Muay Thai boxer, you just shatter your leg.

CanadianBadAss
10-04-2001, 04:59 AM
it doesn't block the kick, its all done in one motion, it just sort of redrects his energy so hes pretty much throughing him self your not really pulling... But maybe a round house kick is diffrent from the muay thai round house.

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

Vankuen
10-04-2001, 03:47 PM
The seasoned muay thai fighter is trained to kick very very very hard. Not only that but they're used to getting hit, very very very very hard.

One must take this into consideration when choosing to jam or "deflect" him. I would even venture to say never to try the lifting leg block (golden rooster, thai knee lift, or the wing chun bong gurk) unless you're trained for it. Its common for people to see the trained people do it, and then they try it, and all they do is hurt their leg and still fall over.

One of the easiest things I've seen and done, studying both muay thai and wing chun, is to simply move into it at 45 degree angle. The most dangerous part of the kick is his shin and instep, move to bridge him and all that will hit you if anything is his thigh. You can use your forearm as well if you wish to jam his thigh while you also jam his hands moving in. You will upset his center as well and if done right you will knock him back/over almost everytime. (of course this varies upon the skill level of the person youre fighting...) But just have some confidence man....good luck!

But much less painful for you to try Im sure :D

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

iblis73
10-16-2001, 02:38 AM
I have a friend who does MT and I think he would shatter most peoples leg is they even attempted a bong gerk or any leg block. Problem isnt only his TREMENDOUS power, but he's fast as hell....

EmptyCup
10-16-2001, 06:55 AM
Did anybody watch the Muay Thai fight on TV last weekend? The one with Canada versus other countries...I never knew Canadians were so good at this sport! If I remember correctly, we won every single match! (Or maybe TSN only chose to show the winning ones :) )

Anybody happen to know any good muay thai schools in Canada, specifically in Toronto?

The fights were much better than any boxing match period. More blood, more action, more techniques. I noticed that MT fighters tend to exchange blows more...I was wondering if it was because they have less skill at slipping blows or because their opponents are more aggressive than boxers? Some of the action was outstanding...I saw a whole elbow clinic on display and great kicks. One knee clnic was awesome as well. I wish they showed thai fights on TV...

Haggis
10-16-2001, 12:48 PM
One I have found highly effective is a straight front kick to the kicking hip, or groin.
Linear beats circular, and when you get the hip, the kick gets dissolved as well as hurting the opponent.
Same for the groin kick, but remember to stamp, not flick.

Obviously the latter option can lose you friends......
(I have tried this out with w' decent thai fighters, it's not an abstract rumination)

Cheers,
Haggis.....

Spark
10-16-2001, 02:47 PM
check out Siam No.1, there's two locations - one on St. Clair and one in scarborough. It has a really good rep.

HuangKaiVun
10-16-2001, 05:35 PM
Use your WC stepping footwork from Chum Kiu to step INTO the opponent.