PDA

View Full Version : Blinking

Hitman
01-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone,
Is it possible for some one to tell me how to stop myself blinking, every time when some one throws a punch towards my eyes?

Thank you
Hitman

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
get gloves.

spar.

Shaolinlueb
01-12-2005, 11:18 AM
its a reaction.
you dont have to spar you can work some drills. it will just go away eventually. train yourself.

Oso
01-12-2005, 11:45 AM
we used to stand in a horse and have partners throw random punches towards our face.

red5angel
01-12-2005, 11:51 AM
yep, it's a natural reflex and you need to teach your body to do otherwise. Many of the drills these guys mention are good. Basically you just want to have a lot of punches thrown at you so you get used to the sensation.

PangQuan
01-12-2005, 12:12 PM
The blinking is not necessarily a bad thing, it represents the state of mind that you are in. If your mind was upset or you were "trying" not to blink then you would not, blinking is a natural reaction that your body has when things fly towards your eyes. If the situation is that your blinking TOO much, then the above statements are correct, over practice this will slow down and your blinking will come to a minimum, but you will always blink, long as you are in a natural state of mind. If you try not to blink then you will be thinking, this type of wandering of the mind will be a large distraction from performing natural timely reactions to your opponents. If you train yourself not to blink thats when you get hit in the eye and lose it. The trick is only blinking based on a natural instinctive reaction base and to not overly blink. And of course having the experience and training practice to know what you are needed to do for that split second of time when your eyes are closed. Eventually you wont blink everytime someone throws a punch, only when its instincually needed.

SaMantis
01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I tried to read all that but I couldn't stop blinking.

;)

Train. Like the guys are saying above, run some drills so you can concentrate on not blinking. In time it will become an unconscious action (or non-action as it were).

ShaolinTiger00
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
1. squint. as contrary as it sounds when you try to "open your eyes" it actually makes you blink more. the blink is controlled by different muscles. now squint a little and you can feel that you can control the blinking.

2. Defense. Keep your hands up! Imho the most important aspect of defense is how to block properly, followed by the more complicated movement, slipping etc. You build a pillar defense like a shell, peek a boo guard etc.. and you'll be able to see punches coming in and you will know that they can't harm you. this will give you confidence and reduce blinking.

3. Keep your hands up and let a partner take pitty pat shots at your head. react and try to move and slip but just keeping your hands up protecting.. you'll become accustomed to punches.

anton
01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Someone told me that an old muay thai method was to splash water in your own face and practice "not blinking".

David Jamieson
01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
The blinking isn't the problem.

Keep your eyes on your whole opponent and your intentions clear, be mindful of what's happening instead of what "could" happen.

Use your fear reflex instead of it using you.

IronFist
01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Blinking is good. It instinctively protects your eyes. If you eliminate that reflex you might get stuff stuck in your eye because you didn't blink when you should have. I mean like dirt or bugs or something.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2005, 10:50 PM
i agree with iron.

theres also a big difference in blinking and flinching. im not sure if slight flinching ever completely goes away or if you just get used to it. i think it eventually transforms itself into another action so that instead of just flinching you flinch by putting up your guard or something of the sort. the blinking isnt so bad if its subtle and you got your put your fists in between you and them instead of just your eyelids.

David Jamieson
01-12-2005, 10:57 PM
if you want to decrease your opponents strike power, you need to stop flinching. One way of killing power is stepping into the strike. It can't complete it can't compete. :D

blinking and flinching are different.

everybody blinks, sissy's flinch. :p