PDA

View Full Version : Any Hung Fut players here?

jmd161
01-12-2005, 06:55 PM
If so what lineage ,and how long?

I'm new to Hung Fut and just curious to how many players are out there.

jeff:)

Hard Fists
01-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey, jmd.

I train out of Sifu Tai Yim's school in Kensington. You are in NY, right?

I've been on your guys website. Pretty cool. I would like to see how your curriculum differs from ours.

I haven't seen a lot of Hung Fut brothers posting around here, but I don't really post that often either...just when I'm bored at work.

jmd161
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Hard Fists
Hey, jmd.

I train out of Sifu Tai Yim's school in Kensington. You are in NY, right?

Yes correct i'm in Brooklyn,NY

I've been on your guys website. Pretty cool. I would like to see how your curriculum differs from ours.

Well, i'm not completely familiar with the curriculum yet ,i've only been training in Hung Fut a few months. I've learned the Sup Gee Kuen form so far.

That translates to 10 crossing fist form or something like that.....:D

I also train privately ,so it's done a bit different than in the class.

I haven't seen a lot of Hung Fut brothers posting around here, but I don't really post that often either...just when I'm bored at work.

Yea i'm also posting from work.

Hard Fists
01-14-2005, 05:21 AM
What do you think so far? I am going to test soon for the intermediate level, that means that I am kind of new too.

We stress basics, and practice them continuously. It's funny, I think this is one of the most physically demanding arts I've seen, very similar to Hung Gar in stance training and punches.

Have you trained in any other styles?

jmd161
01-19-2005, 03:50 PM
What do you think so far? I am going to test soon for the intermediate level, that means that I am kind of new too.

I love Hung Fut ,it's very close to what i already do.

Good Luck!!

What determines the next level?

Is there a set amount of forms that determines it ,or does your sifu determine it?

We stress basics, and practice them continuously. It's funny, I think this is one of the most physically demanding arts I've seen, very similar to Hung Gar in stance training and punches.

yeah, the basics are very important ,that's good.

Have you trained in any other styles?

Yes, i currently study Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn (Shaolin Black Tiger) before that i dabbled in Bak Sil Lum and Cheung Kune Pai.

Hard Fists
01-21-2005, 05:31 AM
A couple of years ago Sifu moved the system in our school from a four sash system to a several sash system so people would gain a better sence of acheivement. Now, especially at te basic and intermediate levels there is a set curricullum and everyone learns one form before moving up to the next level. We are tested by Sifu.

To get into the higher levels of training, each student must practice and perform the beginning 10 or 11 forms which takes the average human being a few years. If I had more time I feel that I could up the curve but these days my priorities lie with my family. Still, I hope to reach dragon or master level one day.

What are the roots of Shaolin Black Tiger? Sounds interesting.

By the way, I am Aaron.

brothernumber9
01-21-2005, 08:34 AM
A few to most people would mean 2 or 3.

Though there really haven't been that many to take the dragon level exam, I would say the average is 6 or 7 yrs, and I really wouldn't consider anyone of those guys an average student. I don't count Wai because he had a solid background in Wing Chun and Hung Ga before joining which enabled him to skirt through basics and the first several fist and weapon forms at least twice as fast as normal.

Good luck on your training Jeff, I'm sure you'll gain great insight from it.

brothernumber9
01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
hung fut

hung ga(r) + fut ga(r)

also refered to as hung kuen fut jeong (hung fist & buddha palm)
propagated most notably by 6th generation successor Hung Jiu Shing a.k.a bok mo Jiu (white haired devil). The same bok mo Jiu from Sifu Ross's Chan Tai San Stories thread.

WanderingMonk
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by wolfen
My cantonese is no good. what is Hung fut??
Do you mean Hung Gar?

"Shaolin Black Tiger" .. "Shaolin HieHu Men is this "hung Fut?

Hung fut = 洪佛

Hard Fists
01-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Hung Fut is a combination of Fut Gar and Hung Gar. Check out www.taiyimkungfu.com.

If you are interested, I have some old articles that give some good background on the system. I can email them to you.

19thlohan
01-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by jmd161
If so what lineage ,and how long?

I'm new to Hung Fut and just curious to how many players are out there.

Hung Futs a hard style to find in America. One of my teachers of another style new acouple of there forms and I got to learn them. Wish I could have learned more.

brothernumber9
01-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Jeff,

Have you compared the sup gee kuen you learned to those of choy lay fut or other southern(ish) styles that have a sup gee kuen? What's your take on hung fut's constant footwork.

batgirl
01-31-2005, 03:29 AM
9th brother: does tai yim's school teach sup gee? if not, do you know why? I never hear it mentioned.

also, 161: how long did it take you to learn sup gee and what is the next form that you will learn? It seems that hung gum poi's NY branch has alot of sifus, do you know if they all have mastered the system?

brothernumber9
01-31-2005, 07:54 AM
batgirl,

no, sup gee is not in our main curriculum (sp?). It could be that we have a "sup gee" form called by another name, since often "sup gee" will simply describe the overall pattern of the form. However, most of the forms I have seen between different branches taught by our sifu and sifu Hung kum Poi and sifu Mann are slightly to very different. The seeds are still there and you can tell it is all hung fut and that is what is important, but the sequences are not identical. I wouldn't expect them to be. All had different teachers during thier life, eventhough all at a varying point learned from our Sigung Hung Yu Jung. There are several branches of hung fut, not to mention many village branches and personal adaptations from the many that white haired devil taught.

jmd161
02-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by brothernumber9
Jeff,

Have you compared the sup gee kuen you learned to those of choy lay fut or other southern(ish) styles that have a sup gee kuen? What's your take on hung fut's constant footwork.

No i haven't compared it to any other yet ,but that's a good idea.

I like the footwork alot actually very good footwork ,but the stances are a bit different from what i'm use to. Hung Fut ,so far from what i've seen has alot of low twisting stances ,which are hard on the knees.

jmd161
02-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by batgirl
also, 161: how long did it take you to learn sup gee and what is the next form that you will learn?

I'd say about a couple of weeks ,but that's only because of my background with Black Tiger. I don't know what the next form will be ,he told me but i actually forgot.

I'll find out and post it here later.

Originally posted by batgirl
It seems that hung gum poi's NY branch has alot of sifus, do you know if they all have mastered the system?

To my knowledge not all of them have but they have reached sifu level ,so they can teach up until a certain level. It's like with me and black tiger i'm nowhere near that level ,but my sifu has given me permisson to teach up to a certain point.