PDA

View Full Version : It's time for another "where do you look when you fight?" thread

IronFist
01-12-2005, 10:27 PM
So, where do you look?

I find that when I do too much kick training (more like shin conditioning), like where you and your partner take turns blocking kicks, I start staring at his feet too much. That's a good way to get punched in the face.

Where do you look when you're sparring?

Eyes?
Shoulders?
Chest?
Somewhere else?

And why?

MoreMisfortune
01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
chest level most the time... if i recall
when during spar that is

if there is extra (non-touchable) distance or some time before then its the face, to see how the dude is reacting facially

Samurai Jack
01-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Eyes. Crush his spirit. I mentally agree with myself that wether or not I lose, I'm going to kill him if that's what it takes, and tell him so, if there's time. I keep my expression calm, and I consciously stay as relaxed as possible. Usually I end up rolling over my opponent like a bowling ball. I don't give a crap what my opponent's doing, the blitz is very effective for me.

I spend alot of time looking for the most intimidating people at a seminar and work with them just like that. Most of 'em can't meet your gaze for very long. This is the single most effective tactic I've used in real life as a Crisis Counselor and Reserve Police Officer when things start to get ugly.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
i scan and try to be aware of my periferal.

sihing
01-13-2005, 02:11 AM
A quote "To reach me you must move towards me"-BL. To move towards me you must move many things but the slowest are the elbows and knees, especially when attacking. When squared off with the opponent, the attention should be on the lead elbow, as he cannot strike you without moving that first, and on the straight attacks the elbow moves 2X slower than the fist and 4X slower than the fist on round movements. The same applies to the knees, try kicking without moving it. The position of the knee gives clues as to what is happening and what type of kick is being thrown. If the elbow/s is too far off to the side then the center is exposed and attacking is recommended. Watching the eyes of a tall person would make it hard to recognize the movement of the feet and legs. By watching the lead elbow you can use your peripheral vision to see the knee and recognize any attacks from that area.

James

Ming Yue
01-13-2005, 05:21 AM
high on the chest generally but I'll scan from chest to belly and back too.

Toby
01-13-2005, 05:54 AM
I look at your nuts, 'cause that's where I'm about to kick you Iron :D.

MasterKiller
01-13-2005, 08:18 AM
I like to look at my opponent's sweet ass...

Reggie1
01-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Chest / upper abdomen.

I usually make it a point to never make eye contact. Nearly every other person at our school tries to make it a point to do the 'stare down', so I like to throw them off. They can't win the staring competition since I never give them a chance.

red5angel
01-13-2005, 08:26 AM
vaguely in the chest area. I try not to focus too much on anyone part.
Capoeira makes it harder so it depends on where you are at the time. You train as usual to keep an eye on your opponent but this sometimes causes some contortions. I sometimes end up lower then usual and can't watch my usual spot but I try to stay as close to the core of the person as possible.

David Jamieson
01-13-2005, 08:31 AM
the whole body. the eyes should be watching the entirety of your opponent with no strict point of focus.

SevenStar
01-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
Eyes. Crush his spirit. I mentally agree with myself that wether or not I lose, I'm going to kill him if that's what it takes, and tell him so, if there's time. I keep my expression calm, and I consciously stay as relaxed as possible. Usually I end up rolling over my opponent like a bowling ball. I don't give a crap what my opponent's doing, the blitz is very effective for me.

I spend alot of time looking for the most intimidating people at a seminar and work with them just like that. Most of 'em can't meet your gaze for very long. This is the single most effective tactic I've used in real life as a Crisis Counselor and Reserve Police Officer when things start to get ugly.

yeah, but you're talking pre-fight here, right? I think IF is referring to the actual combat.

SevenStar
01-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
I like to look at my opponent's sweet ass...

I look at your wife's...

SevenStar
01-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by sihing
A quote "To reach me you must move towards me"-BL. To move towards me you must move many things but the slowest are the elbows and knees, especially when attacking. When squared off with the opponent, the attention should be on the lead elbow, as he cannot strike you without moving that first, and on the straight attacks the elbow moves 2X slower than the fist and 4X slower than the fist on round movements. The same applies to the knees, try kicking without moving it. The position of the knee gives clues as to what is happening and what type of kick is being thrown. If the elbow/s is too far off to the side then the center is exposed and attacking is recommended. Watching the eyes of a tall person would make it hard to recognize the movement of the feet and legs. By watching the lead elbow you can use your peripheral vision to see the knee and recognize any attacks from that area.

James

wouldn't you want to watch a spot higher up as opposed to focusing on limbs? If I see your shoulder move, I can react faster than I could by waiting to see your elbow... Same thing goes for kicks - hip movement.

rogue
01-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I look at your wife's...
Sevenstar usually looks at the ground where his street cred is getting a 10 count, but I agree with him. For someone to kick the body shifts and the hips have to move. Much better than trying to catch the knees moving.

norther practitioner
01-13-2005, 11:42 AM
red was telling me that he is usually staring up at the ceiling or sky, as after about 5 seconds or so he is lying on his back just about every time.

rogue
01-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Red is the only thing 7*s street cred can beat.

SevenStar
01-13-2005, 11:46 AM
luckily, I don't need street cred to whoop arse...:p

Vash
01-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
luckily, I don't need street cred to whoop arse...:p

but it's rather helpful in getting arse . . . :p

PangQuan
01-13-2005, 12:53 PM
I personally like to let my periphiral vision take control, every now and then for intimidation factor ill make astute eye contact and let out some energy. But for sparring/fighting I let it all soak in at once.

rogue
01-13-2005, 01:43 PM
for intimidation factor ill make astute eye contact and let out some energy. Oh that's what that's called. We always called it leaving tracks in the undies.

luckily, I don't need street cred to whoop arse... You're lucky that since your SC is about as dead as Elvis nobody feels a need to fight you. Britney Spears has more SC than you. :D

SevenStar
01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
britney is a thug - everyone knows that. I could take her though. I'll challenger her to a no holds barred match and submit her with a triangle choke. It may not be the actual triangle that chokes her though...

rogue
01-13-2005, 03:40 PM
7*, I'll be your corner man. I'll have a nice big hypo of antibiotics for you and a stick to hit you over the head with for having bad judgement. I'll have that Bobbit chick there too in case we need to amputate.:p

red5angel
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
were we talking man to gland combat here or what?

ShaolinTiger00
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
From my experience in striking and grappling, the best thing to do is to look at the triangle of the upper body (an upside down triangle) between the shoulders and the sternum and keep your periphreal open.

Looking at the limbs, head etc. meakes it impossible to react quickly to a non telegraphed attack. (ex. a skilled boxers jab)

Water Dragon
01-20-2005, 01:13 PM
A good trick I picked up was to look at the wall behind the guy. You catch all the peripherals from there. It also tends to freak some people out in sparring when they can tell you're spacing off/not looking at them.

Wharg0ul
01-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
From my experience in striking and grappling, the best thing to do is to look at the triangle of the upper body (an upside down triangle) between the shoulders and the sternum and keep your periphreal open.

Looking at the limbs, head etc. meakes it impossible to react quickly to a non telegraphed attack. (ex. a skilled boxers jab)

I agree, along with flicking the eyes to one spot or another on the opponant's body to fake. I've noticed if I quickly glance down with my eyes the opponant will do the same, usually, and I can get in some head shots. The same seems to work if I glance over their shoulder, to sneak in a kick or two.