PDA

View Full Version : Sum Nung's Jong

Gluteus Maximus
10-05-2001, 07:33 PM
G'day folks, how's your weekend going? Me? Oh, I'm making a new Jong at the moment. Hey, that leads me to a question: see the accompanying photo depicting Sum Nung Po Pai'ing his Jong - anyone here tried one of these Jongs? The design of the base is an interesting concept. If anyone's tried one of similar design, care to share your thoughts on the stability and feel of it? Thanks

Max

Yooby Yoody

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 10-06-01 at 03:00 PM.]

IronFist
10-05-2001, 10:02 PM
This is the only dummy I saw there.

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/sequences_mukyanjong_pose.jpg

Is that the one you were talking about?

Iron

Gluteus Maximus
10-05-2001, 10:15 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

Max

Yooby Yoody

reneritchie
10-05-2001, 10:44 PM
That's actually my sifu, Ngo Lui-Kay (a student of Sum Nung), performing Wu Dip Jeung (Butterfly Palms) on the Jong.

Sum Nung's dummy, like the rest of the Foshan dummy, was buried in the ground, surrounded by loose gravel. My sifu, however, lived in an apartment in Guangzhou and couldn't put his Jong into the ground (the downstairs neighbor would have gotten upset), so, along with his sihing, an iron-worker, they came up with this base. Some of Sum Nung's other students have come up with other solutions, including a square-bottomed floor or wall mount and a spring wall mount.

My classmates and I helped build the dummy pictured, and I have a dummy at home with the same design, so I've spent a lot of time with it. We've bolted some to the floor for added stability, others we've weighted down. Mine is bolted a piece of board which is secured in place but can be detached to move it. Sum Nung's dummy form includes movements that flank the dummy, so this design works well (when I've tried the HK style hanging dummy, the horizontal supports have inhibited that).

If there're any other specifics you're curious about, you can reach me via rene@wingchunkuen.com

Rgds,

RR

Gluteus Maximus
10-06-2001, 07:27 AM
Oops, I assumed the person in the photos was Sum Nung, having not seen photos of him before and seeing as the photos were on the Sum Nung website.

Lucky I asked the question here, seeing as how you helped build it!

That dummy certainly looks very useful in terms of space-saving functionality. The spring wall mount and other type of wall mount you mention sound interesting too. How does the other (non-spring type) wall mount differ from Yip Man-style wall-mounted dummies? Is it pinned from behind to allow flanking movements?

Years ago I built a wall-mounted dummy and also one that I sunk into the ground. Coming off a farm I had no shortage of beautiful hardwood (and space to bury one). My situation's changed now and I'm living in rented accommodation in another part of Australia and moving quite often, so something more compact and more easily shifted makes better sense.

I also have an unlimited supply of timber here, and an arc welder so will have a crack at making a base similar to the one in the photo.

My landlord has a weak heart so I'd better not start drilling holes in his floor. I'll try the board as you suggest, or otherwise weigh the legs of the base down with sandbags.

Thanks for the offer to discuss this in more detail via email. I will certainly take you up on that soon.

Many thanks Rene,

Max

Yooby Yoody