PDA

View Full Version : Art D

woliveri
01-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Anyone have Art D's contact info? I'm trying to get in touch with him. I haven't seen him on the board for a long time otherwise I'd try to pm him.

Doesn't he have a school with contact info?

Thanks,

shang wu
01-15-2005, 05:58 AM
woliveri

had to change my log on , pm me shang wu

yu shan
01-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Good to see you post, did you get in touch with Shifu Art?

BTW, you attended the double-axe seminar at the Temple back in the early 90`s right?

woliveri
01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Yu Shan,

Yes on both counts!!!

Thank you,

yu shan
01-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Glad you got in touch with Shifu. As for the double axe seminar, one of the most exhausting days I have been thru.

woliveri
01-15-2005, 09:35 PM
yes, remember the combat steel axes? Did you get a pair of those? Definately heavy buggers.

yu shan
01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Yep I have the heavy pair. I thought it was hilarious that some of the teachers had wooden ones... remember that?!

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-17-2005, 07:37 AM
I missed the double axe seminar. Sounds about like the 9-Ring Broadsword seminar. That was after woliveri's time I think but yu shan was there weren't you?

Did you have the combat steel or the chrome plated?

woliveri
You coming out this way for Art's seminars?

woliveri
01-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey Hua Lin,

I had the combat steel axes. I remember Master Chan putting some plastic tubing over the blades so no one would chop their legs off

:D

I don't know about Art's seminars. Does he have exact dates for them and the content?

Oso
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
alright, yu shan, you been holding out on me...screw the spear form...show me the AXES !!!!

;) :D :p

woliveri
01-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Oso,

Other than the Flamboyance of those combat steel axes, I thought the form was just ok. Personally, I would much rather hava a spear form than the axes. Also, I thought the coolest part of the axe form was the opening. After that, ...... ehh.

Oso
01-18-2005, 01:40 PM
but, dude, it's axes...me and axes go way back...they were the only reason I became a boy scout.

chopity, chop, chop.....

yu shan
01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Oso

Do you have the axes? I thought the form was pretty good.

woliveri
01-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Yu Shan,

It seemed to me that the form was a combination of movements from double daggers, double broadsword, etc. So, even with the exception of the new weapon I felt there was little new movements or material. Even the opening I seem to remember a double broadsword form opening the same way.

At least that's what I remember.

Oso
01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
HAVE I GOT AXES ????

well, I don't have those axes...but I've got a couple of small axes I've been chucking around for a couple of decades.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
woliveri
It seems to me that weapon sets are just an extension of hand sets and should have similar moves as well as many of the moves of similar weapons of the same style. IOW, the weapons sets should follow the principles and patterns of the style. Openings should probably be consistant throughout as well.

If I saw radically different moves in a weapon set I would wonder if it came from outside the system. Nothing wrong with that but I would prefer to keep the same flavor throughout all the sets of the system, although it could be a little boring.

woliveri
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Hua Lin Laoshi,

Exactly. However, when you see a new weapon you will see the characteristics of that weapon, using the nuances of that weapon for attacking, defending etc.

If compared, I think spear movements have an elegance and application that requires much more skill than the axes.

Also, while the footwork is relatively the same, there are movements of the spear that when I saw them it was d@mn cool and blew me away. Gave me cause to think "how'd he do that?" Even though I had learned stick forms and was familiar with these type of movments. Because of the flexiblity of the waxwood staff vs. rattan.

The axe form is fine but didn't flip my fiddle. However, for a sheer workout with the combat steel axes. It's definately a serious workout. Especially for my size and frame.

sayloc
01-19-2005, 08:01 AM
You have to remember that different weapons are taught for different applications. It doesnt make sense to compare a spear and axe as far as fighting application. They would be used completely different in different fighting situations. The fancy stuff would not matter much.

As far as preference for modern day entertainment I can see your point in the debate.

Have a good day

woliveri
01-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Weapons are choosen based on their fighting environment, close quarters vs wide open spaces. And based on body type of the user (I can't see someone like Master Chan carrying a pair of combat steel axes to a fight, Someone like Mohammed or Big Mike, then maybe).

Now, for training purposes, to build coordination with a heavy weapon, that I can see.

Remember the scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon where the two women were fighting taking all the weapons? Shu Lin picked up a master stick that was too heavy for her and had to drop it for a ligher, quicker weapon.

BeiTangLang
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by woliveri

Remember the scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon where the two women were fighting taking all the weapons? Shu Lin picked up a master stick that was too heavy for her and had to drop it for a ligher, quicker weapon.

You know, I didn't get that part;....she's flying around, running up & down walls, but she cant use a weapon because its too heavy?? LOL! Ah well,.....back to mantis......

MantisCool
01-19-2005, 08:04 PM
My shifu said throwing chopstick is small matter now the security personnel in China is using needles! They can pierce glass with the needles!

But I dont have any details about it.